Rice Wagon - VG33 510 wagon project

Of the two listed, the smaller is 01555-00871, the larger is 01555-00891

I'll edit this post later and add another part number plus the approximate size of each.

Note that on www.nissanparts.cc the MSPR listed is the same as the NET price on the Campbell Nissan invoice.  www.nissanparts.cc's actual price is about 20% less than that.

The distributor cap would have been $34.57 on-line.  I'm less concerned with the price though and more concerned that they use the same part number for 86-89 maxima, D21, and pathfinders.  Are they all the same?  If so, I might not have needed to buy this in the  first place as I already have a pathfinder distributor cap - albeit for a 97.  But you would think that would work just fine since the whole engine and intake is from the same vehical.  Maybe I will find out what the issue is (or isn't) when I get the upper intake and TB in place.  What am I waiting for?!

***EDIT***

Here is an even smaller clamp 01555-00191

rice_wagon_update_11042014_1_.JPG

The clamps are approximately 1/2", 3/4", and 1" id in their relaxed "as bagged" state.

rice_wagon_update_11042014_2_.JPG

• Like 1
  • Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Before mounting my intake, I went back and read a helpful post from Dave Carroll regarding lower intakes and gaskets.

Another thing to keep in mind when swapping around VG intakes: VG33 lowers are machined wider between the mounting flanges where they attach to the heads and use very thin formed stainless steel gaskets. VG30 lowers are narrower and use steel retainers with neoprene sealing rings around the ports. The important thing is that if you run a lower from a VG30 you use VG30 intake gaskets and if you run a VG33 lower you run VG33 intake gaskets regardless of which engine they are on. Otherwise you get a nasty intake port mismatch and one of the timing cover bolts will not go in because the intake and water neck are either too high or too low. I discovered this when I built the VG34 for my '88 Pathy.

Thanks Dave!

Here are the two gasket types:

rice_wagon_update_11062014_4_.JPG

Dave isn't kidding when he says one is thick and one is thin.

rice_wagon_update_11062014_5_.JPG

I set the intake on the motor with the thin gasket and sure enough, there was a pretty good step at the bottom of the runners.

So just to be sure, I measured the distance between the center ports on the manifold I am going to use:  3.918"

rice_wagon_update_11062014_8_.JPG

For comparison, here is the manifold that came off the motor:  4.005"

rice_wagon_update_11062014_7_.JPG

So mine is definately narrower, meaning I will use the thick gaskets.

Just for fun, I grabbed an early Z-31 intake as well, expecting it to be thin too.  3.965"  a "tweener"  but there are lots of variables in this measurement besides the machined width of the intake so I'll assume it is "narrow" as well.

rice_wagon_update_11062014_9_.JPG

While looking for parts in the garage a couple weeks ago, I found a box of cassette tapes I forgot I had.  There is a couple layers of 80's finest new-wave here:

garage_music_11072014.JPG

Thought it'd be fun to listen to while working on Rice Wagon but the tapes are all stretched or demagnitized or something because they sounded terrible...  Jeff and I were laughing.  Oh well.  It will be easire to throw them all away now that I know they are bad.

• Like 3
  • 5 weeks later...

This weekend I finally swapped in the LSD rear end I had made up.  Mostly spurred on by the fact that I haven't done anything to the wagon for too long and also I had a buyer for the old axle assembly!

12062014_rice_wagon_rear_end_swap_1_.JPG

Here is the old one out and the new one ready to go in.

12062014_rice_wagon_rear_end_swap_2_.JPG

Out and ready for pick-up!

12062014_rice_wagon_rear_end_swap_5_.JPG

After lifting up the stock rear end, it seamed lighter than the replacement I have been dragging around the garage for months so I grabbed the scale to check. 

The stock 510 wagon rear end is about 122lbs.

12062014_rice_wagon_rear_end_swap_4_.JPG

The modified RX7 rear end is about 134lbs.

12062014_rice_wagon_rear_end_swap_3_.JPG

Not too bad of a weight penalty for what it will bring in performance.

Here it is in its new home:

12062014_rice_wagon_rear_end_swap_6_.JPG

Everything bolted right up like it was made to fit (it was) but the drive shaft flange is about 1/2" shorter than the 510 unit.  Since my custom drive shaft is already made, I will need to add a spacer.

• Like 2

Now that it is in place, I can figure out how to fix/set the rest of the suspension.

I have a DAMB (kelvin Dietz) traction bar kit and rear sway bar to instal.  Also, the ride height is also not low enough.  I specified a 2" drop when ordering the springs and he just about hit it right on!

I usually run 2" blocks on a wagon which gives me a stance like this with coilovers in front set pretty low:  This is a lowered but still very useable ride height.

Otto_ride_height_4_.JPG

Right now on Rice Wagon, I have 5 3/4 at front:

12062014_rice_wagon_rear_end_swap_11_.JP

and 7 3/4 in back:

12062014_rice_wagon_rear_end_swap_12_.JP

12062014_rice_wagon_rear_end_swap_7_.JPG

12062014_rice_wagon_rear_end_swap_8_.JPG

So I'm pretty close, slightly lower, than where I usually run.  But I'd like to come down at least 1 1/2" more in back to get rid of the rake.  Maybe another 1/2" inch in front too...  So perhaps I better go 2" more in back.  For now, maybe I'll go just as low as I can without floor surgery and then see where it sits.  This new rear-end really helps in that department as the nose is lower than the stock nose.

• 11 months later...

Wow!   Has it really been almost a year?

That makes me sad.

Well a lot has happened since last December, just not on this car - that's all.  The short story is that I just don't have much free time.  But I did spend the day today working on projects so that was good!

It was another COLD one this morning.

Two frosty Bluebirds anyone?

11282015_frosty_bluebirds_2_.JPG

One of the things that have taken my attention away from Rice Wagon is a storage shed that I started last spring.  I built a fire to eliminate the a pile of wood scraps and to keep my warm while working since I was going to be outside today a lot - finishing up the underground electrical conduit/connection to my garage so I have power in the shed.

IMG_4395.JPG

Since you asked, I did take a peek at the wagon while I was going in and out of the garage today.

11282015_rice_wagon_4_.JPG

11282015_rice_wagon_1_.JPG

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like any Datsun fairys have been working in the middle of the night.  Hopefully by Christmas break I can start working on the wagon again.  I've got to install the driveline spacer, rear sway bar, and DAMB traction bars (white box)

11282015_rice_wagon_2_.JPG

and then measure for blocks before going back to the front end where I think I need to remove my calipers and clean them up and paint them.  They were new from RockAuto but then the car spent a season outside and they look like big ugly rust balls now.  :crying:

I will get back on it soon...

Oh yeah, with the lower intake in place, I got the other heater hose connected too.

rice_wagon_update_11062014_16_.JPG

Note the blood on the rag at the base of this photo.  No Datsun work session is complete without donating a few cc's from your knuckles!

wow.  look at all that room.  you can even fit your hands in there. 

That shed looks pretty nice! Is it strictly a shed or is it going to be a work space as well? Those 4 little windows are nice. I have been thinking about adding a few windows like this in my house.. or garage. Or both... 

We are affectionately calling it "The Parts Department"  :)

The small windows match the ones I added to our house as part of a massive remodel.  Someday I am going to have to start a "build thread" for our house as I've spent way more time and energy (and $$) on it than all my Datsuns combined. 

I am mainly using it for storage.  Right now two of my cars are full of parts (inside and buried) which makes it impossible to work on them and difficult to find/access parts.  Plus my woodshop is full of Datsun parts which makes it difficult to work on the remodel. 

Thinking about this spring, we want to paint Victoria's truck but there was no longer any space to absorb a truck's worth of parts when we strip it down.  This addition allows me some much needed breathing room.  I'm very excited to begin using it.  The inside is basically done now.  I will wait 'till spring to finish the siding and paint.  Too cold out now. 

I've got a build thread for my house over on nwd. I'm very much in the same place.. most of my time and money is spend on the house.

Just like a build thread for a car, it's nice to look back and be able to see how much work you've put into it.

Anyway.. it looks nice! I like to see pics of the inside.

• 1 month later...