Rice Wagon - VG33 510 wagon project

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You got it! Unfortunately, like most of my 510's, they are projects. A couple work though. Had one when I was a kid and I have such fond memories of the sound. I figured they'd make a pretty awesome garage decoration. Even more awesome when I get some more of them working. 510's first though!

--carter

If they dont work, the least you could do was hand them straight :poke:

Hand them straight? Huh?

If you mean "hang" them straight. I can assure you that they are. You are looking at messed up perspective from the camera. They are all sitting on a level shelf.

So tonight was test fitting the headers

08242012_rice_wagon_headers_1_.JPG

I got some really nice 10mm studs and flange nuts from Nissan but I'll probably only be able to use them on about half of the holes so rather than mix and match, I might just do something different. Since the tubing curves over the top of some of the holes, They will either need bolts or cut down studs. It is *tight* on the steering box side.

08242012_rice_wagon_headers_5_.JPG

The blue tape is there to protect the ceramachrome finish while I'm bumping them around in the engine bay.

08242012_rice_wagon_headers_4_.JPG

The right side header has much more room to play with.

Dave Carroll came over and I dropped the idler arm so we could test fit a header with a RHD steering box and it was a no-go, so I'll either need a custom RH header for my coupe or, I can just use that as an excuse to go turbo. :devil: We tried an S12 manifold as well and it hit the steering box too. I guess another option would be to use a steering rack. We'll see, that project is way down the road. Got to finish this wagon first...

I had the same header/steering box clearance issues with my race car. I solved some of it by "thinning and angling" the steering box mounting flange. The thing is absurdly thick, and if you are concerned with strength after shaving a bunch off of it, just add a box brace. When I shaved mine down, I also shaved more from the top of the mount to lay the box over creating even more header clearance. My headers are coated as well, and I've had no heat transfer issues to the steering box.

Damn I forgot there was another SSR head in here. Second in line I guess. Haha.

Ha, the day he posted that he didnt quite like them on his coupe I offered to take them off his hands. He said wheels are down the line though so the Technos are staying for a bit. Being in Hawaii, it would probably be easier/cheaper to get things there or from Japan since youre closer.

ole tight pants wants aall the jdm shit

JDMtyte yo!

Techno Phantoms:

Fronts - 14 x 7 +2 offset

08192012_techno_phantom_fronts_6_.JPG

Rears - 14 x 8.5 -17 offset

08192012_techno_phantom_rears_6_.JPG

They aren't going anywhere for now. The only thing i'm currently even considering is a trade where someone would offer me some equally awesome TP wheels/tires with dimensions same-as/similar to my fronts in exchange for my rears, probably with some money as well. Or a full set of someething else. But it's not something that I'm actively doing now anyway. Let's just focus on the VG for now...

Oh, and sorry Tristin, the "waiting list" started way before your response anyway. :console:

Tonight I planned to install the driveline.

rice_wagon_driveline_08272012_1_.JPG

It is a custom length unit. With the Experimental Engineering www.vg30.com install kit, VG30/VG33, Z31 5spd and stock wagon rear end, the distance from yoke center to yoke center measures 41 1/4"

rice_wagon_driveline_08272012_2_.JPG

Unfortunately, out of 6 drivelines in my garage, not a singe one has driveline bolts! I still had to test fit though, and zip tied it in place 'till I get a set of bolts. Anyone have the nissan p/n handy?

rice_wagon_driveline_08272012_3_.JPG

Next step is to pull the lower intake and sort out the heater lines. You can see they aren't exactly pointed in a convenient direction. I will look at switching to Z31 lines and see if that works better.

rice_wagon_heater_lines_08272012.JPG

From the www.vg30.com step by step guide, it should look more like this.

23.jpg

24.jpg

We shall see...

carter two things....

1. is there enough room at your house to build my dream mini house of 482 sq feet..its two level too so very small foot print...i promise i am very minimalistic...and i can be that second set of hands ...(ok that came out wrong..)or the guy that makes sure yur batterys in your 510s are not depleted...( i promise i will only let them idle and not drive them, well at least off the property anyway)

2. i never been a vg swap guy but this build is so cool and entertaining that you have changed my mind....i will be on the look out ......maybe another wagon......maybe the green wagon....hey i guess if i vg my wagon my dohc ka can go in my truck.... or tristin will read this and start his please sell me the dohc ka with auto tranny....to which i can't but i am on a mission to see his idea through too....nice progress will definately favorite this thread for if and when i go vg....when its done i wanna run up there and see it in person...maybe grab your snoflakes and do them a cool color for u ....

is there a swap thread u are referencing or just previous knowledge revisited....i am learning alot about the nees of a vg in a 510 through your thread but wouldnt mind reading alot more...