Rice Wagon - VG33 510 wagon project

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You could try cutting a notch down the threads of a spare nut to act as a makeshift tap to chase the threads.

Sorry... looks like I skipped an update.

That's exactly what I did!

strut_thread_chaser_tool.JPG

One side was a snap.

The other side still needed about an hour of filing and gouging to clean the threads before the special nut would even start.

Tonight I was going to mount the front sway bar real quick.

Ha! Rice Wagon had different ideas.

I found out why the PO didn't run a front sway bar...

rice_wagon_front_sway_bar_08152012_2_.JPG

rice_wagon_front_sway_bar_08152012_3_.JPG

2 out of 4 sway bar mounting bolts were broken off in the frame rail. Time for some upside down drillin' and tappin'. Not much fun but I got it in.

rice_wagon_front_sway_bar_08152012_1_.JPG

Hubs and brakes next!

i was talking to my nephew he said he just crushed one dropping his accord on the ground...sigh.... yours still have the cotter key for the pins...i had rto replace them all the time cause i kept using them in a pinch....vintage, nah, just old but functional...i miss em..

ur pic made me go look at my goon, same problem, only three out of four are broke off....amongst a plethora of others.....i already spent a full day putting the fenders on... or at least making it so i could...

I got all the new front brake hardware lined up

rice_wagon_new_front_brakes_08162012_1_.JPG

rice_wagon_new_front_brakes_08162012_2_.JPG

Took a while to separate a set of hubs from the old rotors. I really wanted to get the hubs sandblasted and painted but more than that, I want to get this car together, so maybe next time. Hubs and rotors are on but I couldn't find a pair of 280zx spindle nuts.

rice_wagon_rotors_on_08162012.JPG

I had to call it quits for tonight. Hopefully I'll find some nuts and get the the rest of the front brakes done this weekend. I can't wait for this thing to roll again!

New brake calipers, Porterfield pads, and stainless braided brake lines fitted

08192012_rice_wagon_front_brakes.JPG

And for the first time since March 2010, Rice wagon is back on all fours!!!! This is a great milestone!

08192012_rice_wagon_on_all_fours_7_.JPG

The steelies I had on there wouldn't fit over the 280zx hubs so I had to borrow the techno phantoms from my coupe Trouble. :thumbup: Next step is to roll the car into my other garage and start wiring/plumbing/etc on the motor.

on that link did u get the z car ones or the later model 510....i assume z car and adapted to stock hardlines?

510 lines.

I actually have sedan kits. I used two lines on another wagon I had built and just figured I'd use the second pair on the next one. I didn't realize that one of the lines had female fittings on both ends (I've never changed out rear brake lines on a sedan before) so I had to break into another sedan kit and take the two fronts from there. The connection to the caliper is the same - 510 or 280zx so the 510 kit works fine.

I haven't looked, but if they don't already offer a wagon kit, I will call and see if they can make one.

--carter

Their price list has been incorrect for years. I don't know what is so difficult about correcting it. It is the first listing: (I corrected the years but the part number is what is important)

http://www.techna-fit.com/nissan.html

NIS-500 - 1968-73 510

They also have clutch lines:

http://www.techna-fit.com/clutch.html

NC-500 - 510, 610, 710, 810

i kinda wondered .... like why would 82-86 even be something they made never known them to be that popular....thanks for clarifying

i iwll say i never really considered the vg, a swap i would like but after hearing that video of carbed one... i cant wait to hear this goon purr and growl.....it will motivate me to one day want a vg datsun....looking good carter wheres the pics...of icehouses polish job on the under hood...lol....thats a lot of work to do to a engine bay....

ps i call dibs on first shot gun when road worthy ...lol

Well I rolled (pulled) the wagon out of the garage yesterday afternoon. It hasn't seen sunlight in a LONG time!!!

08222012_rice_wagon_garage_swap_11_.JPG

08222012_rice_wagon_garage_swap_17_.JPG

08222012_rice_wagon_garage_swap_3_.JPG

It is now in pole position in my other garage where I can continue the work in close proximity to my tools and parts.

08222012_rice_wagon_garage_swap_19_.JPG

08222012_rice_wagon_garage_swap_18_.JPG

my plan this weekend is to mount or at least test fit the headers and start extracting the intake manifold.

• Like 2