Rice Wagon - VG33 510 wagon project

Carter,

I'd like some details on the rear end.  I have the same out of a 84-85 RX7 GSL Se to put into my VG30 Wagon.  I've cut the brackets off and getting read to narrow it, but would like to ask some questions on how you did yours.

1. How much did you narrow yours? 
  2. Looks like the RX 7 brakes set up to use the stock Datsun emergency brake parts.  Very cool.  Didi you have to do anything other than modify the connecting rods?
  3. What pinion angle did you use?

Any comments would be great.  Very nice looking rear end.

I was very clever with the whole rear end thing - I paid someone else to do it!  :thumbup:

John Wallum has it all figured out and was able to put it together for me way faster than I ever could so it just made sense.

I can PM you his contact details if you like.  He is happy to share the details.  He's built a few of these and learns/modifies/improves each time.

I elected to narrow mine to the stock 510 wagon width.

Yes, RX7 brakes with stock 510 e-brake hardware - John will have to fill in the details

Pinion angle?  It should mount up just like stock.  If I need to change it, I will do it with blocks or an angled shim.

--carter 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With all the 620 suff going on, my garage was a mess, so I spent some time cleaning it back up this morning.

Gotta have music to clean by!

garage_music_12272013.JPG

I finally got around to installing the black door panels and welting I had traided for.

rice_wagon_progress_12272013_1_.JPG

rice_wagon_progress_12272013_2_.JPG

rice_wagon_progress_12272013_3_.JPG

The left rear is a maroon panel that is painted black.  It is also a later model.  All the others are '68 or '69.

If anyone has a black left rear panel the same design as the others let me know, thanks!

rice_wagon_progress_12272013_4_.JPG

rice_wagon_progress_12272013_5_.JPG

Rice Wagon's looking really good all the sudden!

I put the hood back on as I'll be rolling it back outside here in a couple days so I can convert this bay to a paint shop and paint Victoria's 620 cab.

rice_wagon_progress_12272013_6_.JPG

Sunset was killer!!!

rice_wagon_progress_12272013_7_.JPG

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

What is the sensor in this picture with the blue connector?

rice_wagon_vg33_03232013_2_.JPG

I realized my planned replacement manifold does not have it.

Something I can safely ignore?

its the cootemp sensor can be removed or left its the one for the guage. the one to the engine sits behind the cam thats connected to the dizzy. its burried deep in there.

• 6 months later...

Well, my attention turned to Victoria's truck Bruiser over winter so not much was going on with Ricewagon.  It was getting cold out there at the end of the driveway but then mother nature covered her in a nice fresh blanket.

02082014_datsnow_10_.JPG

02082014_datsnow_5_.JPG

02082014_datsnow_6_.JPG

02082014_datsnow_8_.JPG

This one's my favorite:

02082014_datsnow_9_.JPG

02082014_datsnow_15_.JPG

02082014_datsnow_16_.JPG

02082014_datsnow_17_.JPG

I love the Techno Phantoms but they will never fit under the car at the ride height I eventually want to run so I swapped them out with an old set of snowflakes I had refurbished for one of my previous wagons.

04062014_rice_wagon_wheel_swap_1_.JPG

04062014_rice_wagon_wheel_swap_2_.JPG

04062014_rice_wagon_wheel_swap_4_.JPG

Looks alright all cleaned up.  I might just run these.  Need to bring the wagon down lower though when I swap in the RX7 rear end.

04292014_rice_wagon_1_.JPG

04292014_rice_wagon_2_.JPG

06072014_rice_wagon.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Jeff has been bugging me to get back to work on Rice wagon so after many months sitting idle outside, Brenda helped me shuffle all the cars around and we lowered the wagon back into the working garage bay to start up the project once again.  The summer sun was not kind to the paint this year...  Oh well, that's the least of my worries.

10082014_rice_wagon_in_the_garage.JPG

We pulled the hood and got re-aquianted with the project at hand and Jeff proceeded to finish up the engine bay wiring harness while I worked on plumbing.  If you can call cutting everything in half "working" :rolleyes:

10092014_rice_wagon_plumbing.JPG

Jeff already flipped and re-welded the upper coolant pipe for me.  Thanks Jeff!!!!

10102014_rice_wagon_plumbing.JPG

I made a to do list and a shopping list so I can keep the momentum going.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I wanted to get some Nissan hose clamps to go with my new hoses instead of relying on the cheap screw type clamps.  See the part numbers on the invoice below: 

They don't give stuff away at the Nissan dealer that's for sure!  While I was there, I thought I'd get an 88 maxima distributor cap and rotor as I understand I will need that set-up for proper clearance running the pathfinder intake in a 510.  Almost $55 for a cap and rotor!  And the parts counter guy told me he was giving me a "really good deal".  Go Nissan!!!

10242014_rice_wagon_nissan_parts.JPG

• Like 1