Rice Wagon - VG33 510 wagon project

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

thanks carter .....that really is a step by step guide thanks for the read.....i wsa joking about moiving onto your property .... igot a spot down by the river all picked out for my cardboard box

Get it right, if you are going to live by the river, you need to be in a VAN!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWvgcQBt8mc&feature=endscreen&NR=1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My leafs came in and I got a set of QA1 adjustable shocks to go with them. The shocks were slightly used from Kelvin. He wasn't happy with the damping but my spring rate is higher than his so hopefully they will work for me. I'm leary of the length at the moment, I think they are too long but we'll see.

flex-form_spring_and_QA1_shocks_1_.jpg

rear_spring_comparison_1_.jpg

I'm interested in this.. how much did it cost, and how much did it lower your goon?

• Like 1

The leafs were about $450/pr if I remember right (it was a couple years ago not)

I had them made by Mark at http://www.flex-form.com/ 1-864-225-8070

He was very easy to deal with and the installation was easy.

You can order whatever spring rate and ride height you want. Mine lowered my wagon about 2" which is really about as far as you can go without driveline tunnel work if you don't wnat your diff slapping the floor when you accellerate. I'll go lower later but this is good for now. If and when I do that mod, I can just add blocks for whatever drop I want.

I need to get back out in the garage again and start making some progress so I can finally drive this thing!

--carter

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It has been quite some time since I've posted an update.  Thats because I haven't done squat on the car!  I've been working long hours and spending all my "play time" on our remodel.  I'm now to a point where I can go back out in the garage again and make something besides sawdust... 

Unfortunately, it has been so long since I've worked on the wagon that the garage was a disaster area.  So, I put some music in the stereo

garage_music_03032013.JPG

Installed the new Nissan driveline bolts in the wagon that have been sitting on my front fender for two months

rice_wagon_driveline_bolts_03032103.JPG

And started cleaning.

I had boxes and boxes of stuff to go through.  Everything is out and sorted but I wanted to run tonight so I'll have to put it away tomorrow...

I found some cool stuff I didn't know I had - a bunch of stuff that came with Trouble (my coupe from North Carolina), a bunch of junk, and a bunch of, well...  Datsun parts.  :thumbup:

Unfortunatley, I came across one nasty suprise...

Most of my stuff is in plastic flip-top bins.  I have two bins with all the VG30ET parts for one of my other cars.  When I opened it up, I noticed the cardboard box inside looked sad and deflated.  I went to open it up and found it was wet!  I think I had a heater core sitting on top of the bin at one time and it must have drained out inside.  I had a set of VG30ET cam covers on top which were just fine, but underneath were some beautiful (well, they were) VG30ET rocker assemblies, a VG30ET ECU, and a box of Valve springs for my new Schneider cams.  Everything was packed in what looked like kitty litter.  I assume this is all corrosion from the dried coolant?  The ECU may be toast.  I'm hoping I can save the rocker assemblies.  The springs actually look undamaged.  They must have been nicely oiled.  Fortunately, the cams themselves were in another bin, high and dry.

Here are the rocker assemblies:

vg30et_rocker_tower_corrosion_03082013_1

And the poor ECU:

vg30et_rocker_tower_corrosion_03082013_2

Valve springs look okay even though the box is soaked:

vg30et_rocker_tower_corrosion_03082013_3

Here is what the rocker assemblies were "packed" in:

vg30et_rocker_tower_corrosion_03082013_4

Yuck!!!

vg30et_rocker_tower_corrosion_03082013_5

Any idea what I might use to clean these with? 

--carter

Oh yeah, and I found two bucks in the ash tray!  Woot woot!!!

I realized I had actually never opened it since buying the wagon.  There was two bucks, two lug nuts, some bolts and washers, two sockets (one snap-on), some screwdriver bits (one magnetic), and a jack-in-the box receipt for a chicken sandwich from 1995.  : )

Well the garage clean up took longer than I expected but I did way more than I had planned and I'm quite happy.  I had miscellaneous boxes everywhere.  I went through them all and sorted them into the correct bins and updated my "510 parts available" album here:

http://datsun510.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=3132

Two different Datsun guys stopped by today as well, so they took some parts with them.  :w00t:

It was nice spending the day in the garage with the music turned up.

garage_music_03092013.JPG

And when the cleaning was done.  I still had time to work on the wagon. I wasn't sure what to do first but I knew that I wanted to get rid of the welded on tow brackets so that's what I did...

rice_wagon_tow_bracket_removal_03092013_

Those welds weren't pretty but man were they tough!  But in the end I won!

If anyone wants these, let me know.  And you can weld them on your 510.

I will need to do some more grinding and paint over the bare metal but at least they are gone now and I can test fit a couple air dams I am thinking of using.

Now it's time to play games with Corey. :hyper:

The only rust on the car is a few holes under the gas pedal.

rice_wagon_drivers_foot_well_03102013_2_

I'm not doing any welding on this build.  That all comes later if/when I paint it someday.  So I'm looking for a decent "in the mean time" solution.  There is something better than fiberglass yes?  Clean/zero-rust/fill?  But fill with what?

rice_wagon_drivers_foot_well_03102013_1_

• 2 weeks later...

Today I finally bolted the headers in place.  They were just haning in place by a couple studs.

I just had VG30 exhaust gaskets on hand so I had to open up the holes for the 10mm studs/bolts.

The left rear bolt took FOREVER to get started and tightened.  No room for fingers - let alone tools.  I had to turn 1/12 turn, switch tools, 1/12 turn, switch tools, repeat.  Hope I don't have to take these off any time soon!  :no:

rice_wagon_headers_03232013_1_.JPG

rice_wagon_headers_03232013_2_.JPG

rice_wagon_headers_03232013_5_.JPG

rice_wagon_headers_03232013_3_.JPG

rice_wagon_headers_03232013_4_.JPG

Next step - radiator install!

rice_wagon_radiator_03232013_2_.JPG

rice_wagon_radiator_03232013_3_.JPG

rice_wagon_radiator_03232013_4_.JPG

The Experimental Engineering brackets make for a pretty clean installation using the factory mounting holes.  Only bummer is that Griffin changed the tank design for this radiator so it is no longer available with the hydraformed tanks that these brackets fit.  

I'm going to run a pathfinder upper intake.  This requires a modification to the lower intake in order to maintain hood clearance. So I had to remove the lower intake from my motor.  Here is is before I started.

rice_wagon_vg33_03232013_1_.JPG

Fuel rail removed

rice_wagon_vg33_03232013_2_.JPG

Look at how clean those injectors are!

rice_wagon_vg33_03232013_3_.JPG

Lower intake removed.

rice_wagon_vg33_03232013_5_.JPG

What is the sensor on the top of the block?  And more importantly, how do you un-do the connector?  It was not obvious to me, so I'm just leaving it connected for now in case I don't even need to remove it.  But I'd kind of like to clean up the surface rust and paint the top of the block while it's stripped down.

Here are the intake sides of the heads.  Spotless!

rice_wagon_vg33_03232013_9_.JPG

rice_wagon_vg33_03232013_10_.JPG

The "old" intake is on the left.  I have a "new" one cut and ready to swap in on the right.

rice_wagon_vg33_03232013_11_.JPG

I want to clean it up first though so this was a good place to stop for the night...

Plus, while it is off, I want to sort out the hard and soft lines to the heater.