Bagged and Boosted 71 4dr 510

I ran those Universal Air strut bags on my Q45 at all four corners, and the front of my Mazda MPV, and they are really a great bag if you have the space for them. Because they are self-contained, they don't put the strut cartridge seals under pressure.

I left a message with Air Lift to try to get some more information on their universal Macpherson air struts- I'll add that here when I get a hold of them!

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So this is why everyone says its impossible to bag a 510..... Didnt some one mention a while back just swapping to a a arm front end ......

Tristan u can't have a squirrel fart rubbing on any part of the bag other wise it's impending failure......

Brislands mmmmmm thy were awesome .... They made me wish I was Canadian

NOTHING is impossible. Impractical for reasons of cost or complexity? Absolutely! And that may be the case here...

Okay, here's the ultimate solution in my head, with no measurements to back the idea up at all:

Add brackets to front crossmember that provide upper control arm mounts.

Use 84-89 Toyota Van spindles (only application I could think of that has upper and lower arms with disc brakes and a 4x114.3 lug pattern), but reversed left to right to provide behind-axle steering.

Fabricate upper control arm with beefy balljoint and a plate for the airbag to mount.

Mount airbag to strut tower with a cup spacer to set overall drop.

Boom- no sweat, right? ;) if anyone can think of another spindle to use I'm all ears- I thought of 60s Mustang/Falcon, but I think all of the 4 lug cars were drum, or at best solid discs. The Van has decent sized brakes that will clear a 14" wheel...

• Like 1

Carlos (72dyme) has his 2 door bagged quite successfully. He has used the Universal Aero Sport bags in the front and as far as I know, its relatively simple to put on existing coil over struts by replacing the coils with the bag and making a new mounting perch. I have thought about doing it myself on my goon. I'm happy with my ride height but could use just a little more clearance sometimes. I'll be watching to see where this goes.

Spudly- when are you getting shorter tires? That's the real test of height.

Does anyone have 2 generic bags for a reasonable price??? the time to do a new front end has come sooner then i had hoped

Edit: also need two strut tubes/spindles

2nd Edit: i have two good cylinders and two blown cylinders you could have... if you can help me out with a decent price!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Welp after to many long weeks i finally ordered tires! should be here next week, ill be sure to post pics, should drop my car about an inch and a half and give me an inch and a half more clearence up top (3 inches difference total)

Gunna have to tuck my exhaust, lose the rear sway bar, and notch my frame a bit. any who wants to buy a rear sway bar shoot me a pm

2012-05-24_18-59-50_304.jpg?t=1337911421

2012-05-24_19-00-04_964.jpg?t=1337911420

So, ive been lazy and the car still sits on the exuast up front, and i have another inch and a half to go lower, but i need bump stop spacers because at about an inch lower the steering hits the frame.

The rear aird out sits on the sway bar, so its going to have to go.

Over all, smaller tires did drop my car about an inch and a half (the front will drop that distance as soon as i find motivation to do the exhaust)... but i must say im bit disapointed with how it looks, i should have done some more research or something, they just look... to small? mexi flush? however you wanna say it.

But if i space em out a bit and get it to drop the rest of the way itll be worth it.

Hopefully ill have my flanges tomorrow to start on my r1 intake and my header.

I think you need more rim and dish than what you currently have... too much tire. You dont have to go to a crazy stretch or anything, but I think it would help out some. That flat face rim just doesnt do it for me. You look at a bunch of mini trucks and they look similar to yours: even though they run 20 or 22 inch rims, their wheel wells are giant (especially in the rear) so it doesnt look like its completely full. 510 wells are pretty small, so it should be easy to fill it up with rim.

Probably would look better. I have 15x8s in the rear and I think (possibly) that I could dump the rear without any issues... I am rolled and could use a pull if I did that, but I think I can manage. Ill check clearances on my way home (Im about to leave work now) and let you know what I come up with.

Looks like with my 185, I would be able to dump the rear about 1/2 of what I would need to in order to get as low as you (with a fender pull). With a 175 I would say I would be about 3/4 as low as you (with the pull)... And just as low with a slotted crossmember or Byron's brackets.