Bagged and Boosted 71 4dr 510

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

doesnt the regulator have 3 ports?

2 should be for fuel feed, and return, and the last to the carbs..

i think hacked has the right idea.. the pump is high volume from the looks of it... id say its over pressurizing the system and hence why you cant adjust it..

maybe just test a return to a 5 gal bucket to see if you can get it adjusted witout all the pressure going to it... if it works, run a return line..

a return line will really help your system, right now all the volume of the whole system is being stopped only by the pressure of the spring in the regulator. If it has a return line, it has somewhere to dump off the extra volume. This will also keep your fuel pressures more consistent. I agree with Farmer Joe, at least give it a go for what it costs for fittings and a short length of line.

what fuel pump is it? out of curiosity.

managed to lean it out from 9 to 10 afrs under boost, pulls a lot harder, i want it to be at 11-12 and ill be happy.

Im pretty surprised how well the setup works overall, much better then my l20 setup. i was going around a corner in 2nd gear this morning, pulled through the corner and broke loose, had to drift through the second half of it.

Edit, im going to pick up some 180 mains today. should get me to my target afr

Well against my better judgement.. a couple friends talked me into entering in the slammed society showcase at formula drift this year... I have lots on my to do list before then...

Door cards

exhaust

intercooler

carpet installed correctly

engine bay tuck

finish the air ride install cleanly so it can be showed off

lots of little things interior wise

and of course a major detail.

I just wish i could get it to go lower... those aerosport bags are nice, but currently even sitting on shortened struts, there limiting how low i can go. i really dont want to go to even shorter struts..

A while back i came accross a thread with all the different strut lengths from different cars, if anybody knows where that it please leave it here!

I was going through my computer and came accross the pictures from when i wrecked, no ones every really seen them and people always ask so what the hell ill post them here.

It might give some of you guys a better understanding of why my fenders are bare metal, and how much body work it actually took to get it to where it is now.

wreck1-1.jpg

wreck2-1.jpg

Thats where i left the car at 6am the night of the wreck

wreck3-1.jpg

That was after the first big pull, its hard to tell in the picture but that quarter panel was 8 inches inside of the trunk.

The next big question i get really tired of answering is why did i strip the fenders, well for anyone whos ever owned a car with shitty body work that was previously done to it, the bondo was cracked all over the place, i had to beat the crap out of the fenders with a hammer and dolly, and over all they looked like shit. so instead of having cracked paint i just eliminated it.

To answer the next most common question, why do i not paint them. Well the trunk is still crooked and needs to be professionally straightened, the front corner of the car needs to be cut out and replaced becasue its pounded in and i need a new fender.

Theres so much rust in the rockers and quarters that was just covered with bondo (the crash busted it all out) that at this point the car needs a full rebuild, and if i ever get my Z done, it will get one.

So hopefully i answered a few questions for some of you and some of the rest of you wont feel the need to ask in the future

For a real update on the car,

Im almost done with the door cards

I put 175 mains in but havent run it yet because go figure, i burned up yet another starter

I also replaced every single seal in the carbs to hopefully they stop the leaking

i made a quick heat sheild that goes between the carbs and header

Started taching together an exhaust

just when i thought i had the motor dialed in it took a shit. cruised to smokey point, ran great, ate dinner, started cruisin back, hit the bad bump in the freeway right before arlington (anyone who drives this section of i5 should know the one) passed arlington and it started coughing as i tried going up the hill, couldnt accelerate went up the hill at 50 but still driveable. decided i didnt wanna break down on the freeway got off at kackman cruised the backroad that parralles the freeway, now im only able to roughly 35 mph and very low rpms before it cuts out. stop at the gas station look for any obvious problems. none. get on 532 headin up the hill really slow, coughin and sputterin as im trying to speed up. to many cars so i take the second right at the top of the hill. hit another bad bump and it dies. coast down the hill to a stop and wont start again. checked all my fuel connections, seems to be good. i did as much as a could with limited tools and a crappy flashlight, finally towed it home since it wasnt to far.

So tomorrow i get to fix it.

I have two thoughts, i somehow pinched a fuel line when i hit those bumps and my sway bar hit the ground each time, (i find it hard to believe the bumps were just a coincedince)

Or two its something electrical. however everything else electrical works sooo i dunno.

thoughts?

whoever said that 90 percent of all fuel/carb problems are electrical was a genious...

After 30 minutes of messing around with the carbs and fuel i decided to start looking at electrical. first thing i checked was power to the coil. nothing. pull the coil out and hey whatd you know. broken wire!

So overall easy fix.

2012-07-12_19-50-32_622.jpg?t=1342151184

ya im jalens bro who wants to know?!

538441_3034794633708_1613588007_n.jpg

haha naw jk. first and foremost, i'd like to appoligise on my brothers behalf. ive seen alot of the crap he's been posting on peoples builds and i hate to say it, but he is one of those troll things i used to hate when i used forums. you know, that kid that always has the faster, lower, cooler car then everyone else and has to voice it to every one. But in reality that car thats lower is because its in pieces with no suspension or wheels on it, its faster because last night he had a dream that it actually ran, and cooler because... well.. ignorance. (reminds me alot like indy back in the day :fu: haha i kid i kid) and its quit the embarassment to my family. But at the end of the day you guys all have to realise he's just a 15 (16 as of today) year old kid with not enough friends (obvious reasons) who's interested in cars but doesnt have enough money or knowledge to finish his own, so he has nothing better to do then to critic others progress in jealousy (at least he's not doing heroin like the rest of his class). we had a little talk with jalen and i hope to see a change in him on here... if he's even allowed back on the site. but, thats my little bro and i love him. so once again i appoligise on his behalf.

and fuck 4 lug nuts, that shits overrated!!

now back on topic:

casey, you probably already know this but you will need bumpsteer spacers in order to keep your tie rods from snapping on the frame (ask me how i know). its really not that hard to get these cars to sit on the ground, its just a combo of tire diameter, suspension, and lack of fucks to give. best size tires to run on 14's (and remember, theres no functionality when your sitting on the ground) are 165/55/14's. ive been running the same size tire for years. reason being, when im tucking rim in the front, i still dont hit the top of the inside fender. its just enough sidewall to not look goofy, but low enough profile to not rub as long as your running realistic sized rims. i tried putting 195/45/15's on my car at the current height and was rubbing the top of the fender like crazy. you already got the suspension down, and by the looks of it, your amount of fucks you have to give is very low. You are on your way to being low, young grasshopper=] i fucking love this build!

417742_3554906796187_1013311218_n.jpg

and this is the most recent pic of my car, but i raised it cause i was driving 4 people around all day. ill try and snap a more updated pic of it today. its low... stupid low. with no coilovers or bags, just spring boosters hahahaha

• Like 3

i was on coils till i swap them over to my new 4 door. that one will have all the good parts, might even get the dual cam out of my rusty one. and i have neither of those parts but im sure i know some one who has some. also if you were thinking about going zx struts up front, theres one at pick n pull that had some with good brakes.