Bagged and Boosted 71 4dr 510

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NICE!!!

Hey spuddy, heres a thread from 2003 when the RX-1 snowmobule first came out and guys started to try to figure out turboing them. LOL TEN YEARS AGO...thats crazy.......anyway, on page 9 he finally figures out you gotta pressurize the diaphram otherwise the CV's pin wide open instantly. Theres a few other interesting things in there like a boost activated switch that turns on a fuel pump.

http://www.ty4stroke...nding&start=120

If you feel like it contact MCXpress. They have been building turbo kits for bikes and sleds for YEARS and are very reputable. They used to sell kits for the RX-1 snowmobile. Same carbs. They might be able to give some info on setting up R1 carbs for turbo too.

http://www.mc-xpress.com/

If you get your motor going good i'm going to seriously consider strapping a slug to the Ka.....Ka's love boosties.......> :)

Aslo found this FUEL MANAGEMENT SYSTEM with an electric fuel pump and a rising rate regulator to provide stable carburetor float bowl fuel pressure as boost pressure rises. Utilizes a Pitot tube design that meters boost pressure to the carburetor float bowl vents to control air fuel ratios while maintaining the use of the stock needles and jets. Provides easy access for quick AFR tuning for all altitudes, temperatures, and boost levels without carburetor removal or disassembly.

Here

http://www.fullpowerperformance.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=70&Itemid=111

I'll just keep researching stuff. You be the guinea pig. And when its all working, then I'll try it. LOLOLOL WIN!

• Like 1

I picked up an innovate motorsports LC-1 setup, its pretty cool, came with the software you can put on your computer and what not, Ill see about those quick disconnects lol i dunno though, sounds like a lotta extra work ;)

That fuel management link didnt work... thats what im mostly researching now as well, if you can get it to work thatd be great!

Im fine being a guinea pig, lol half the fun is problem solving and fixing parts!

have you read about boost reference tubes? It's a little tube that points into the flow of air inside the charge pipe. That hooks into the CV and float vents and give you an accurate boost reference.

I guess you can "tune" the tube by sizing it differently, the bigger the little tube the more air it catches and the higher the boost reference. IDK but that's just what I read.

i just started hearing about those pitot tubes as well, im not 100% sure how they work, but from what ive read they work a lot better then running off my air intake box.

I was confused where it goes or is it more then one? i think i know how to make it it, im just not sure where to put it and what size to use...

Theres a formula in that link for tube sizing. It goes in the charge pipe, between the turbo and the air box pointing into to pressure(like tward the turbo) (like pissing into the wind) that way the boost pressurises the pilot tube.

I'm not really sure why a regular nipple tapped into the airbox wouldn't work just as well?? I guess that why I'm not a engineer.......

Just realized.

Turbo R1 carbed L16 4 door

vs

R1 carbed Ka24e 2 door

We gotta get these down to the 1/8th mile drag's in monroe for shirts and giggles soon!! :) Those old muscle car guys won't know what to do.......

"Dang kids! First honduhs, now this?!?!" "Crappy old datsuns ?!?!"

No way, monroe is a kick. It's legal racing. A place to test and tune. Close to home for us northenders. And its CHEAP Like $15-20 to race all night. And they give three trophies for each bracket! Chances are if your slow you go home with an award!! Win Win!

:)

man one day seemed like forever!

I repaired my header, and also gave a go at tempering it. heated it up til most of if was red hot and then dunked it in oil. we shall see how long it lasts.

bov is installed, and i had to weld a nipple into my intake mani.

Pitot tube is in, i have it sized pretty damn close to the quater inch for every inch theory. we shall see on that too.

AFR is all hooked up, however after an hour on the phone with innovate tech support, we concluded i had a faulty gauge, no worries though, its under a 6 month warranty! so i next day aired a cord so i can still run the wideband without the gauge through my laptop. it will be here tomorrow. bung is welded into my downpipe. and the lc1 is free air calibrated ready to be installed once i have the cord.

our tig welder is acting up, and until we find out whats wrong with it im holding off on the intercooler. we made it work enough to do the bov and pitot but its uuugggllyyy. hopefully i can get a cold air tached up tomorrow.

messed with my timing a bit today as well, retarded it a bit.

Seems to be running pretty good, i did a 5psi launch from a dead start. dry pavement, new tires, spinning first and half of second, getting a little sideways until it caught and took off.

Hopefully with the wideband hooked up to my laptop tomorrow i can get this thing tuned in a lot better.

Vintage, if you ever really wanna use the afr, weld a bung into your exhaust and plug it, the setup is pretty easy to remove, all self contained except for a ground and a power wire.

No way, monroe is a kick. It's legal racing. A place to test and tune. Close to home for us northenders. And its CHEAP Like $15-20 to race all night. And they give three trophies for each bracket! Chances are if your slow you go home with an award!! Win Win!

:)

im totally down, just let me know when!