v8 Engine in the bed: thoughts?

Brock_Samson

I love the idea of a tiny truck with a big V8 in the back for all to see... anybody else get goosebumps at the idea?

Ive dont a little googling theres many options..

V8 and corvair tranny

V8 and vw buss tranny

im sure there are more...

also theres the idea of any front wheel drive v8 platform mounted in the rear... like a Northstar V8 but that doesn't have the look of a V8

i dont know im just spit balling here, throwing ideas out...

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes possible with enough money, but really what are you going for? you gonna use your bed for your motor, and haul stuff under your hood? If you must, how about a v8 under your hood? run straight pipes and any jackass will know you're running a v8. I'm from the other school though, look kinda' harmless and shock the shit out of them when you blow their doors off. Everyone has their own taste though, I'd say do what makes you happy as long as you can afford to finish it and actually drive it. Otherwise, you just learn what type of project not to take on at the cost of sending a rare vehicle to the scrapper.

also theres the idea of any front wheel drive v8 platform mounted in the rear... like a Northstar V8 but that doesn't have the look of a V8

i dont know im just spit balling here, throwing ideas out...

Why not use an old Tornado front wheel drive V8, 60s/70s. Has the look you are going for.

V8 and Corvair transmission requires work. The Corvair transmission runs "backward" relative to a normal front engine driveshaft. The first generation Pontiac Tempest ran a modified Corvair transmission setup that allowed for normal driveshaft rotation, but they are very rare now. It can be done, but work required.

This engine in the truck bed idea goes back to the Dodge "Little Red Wagon" dragster.

Same concept as above but cheaper in most parts can be found in the JY.

Stept 1: Find a 4WD chevy truck

Step 2: Take the entire drivetrain

Step 3: Mount backwards in bed

Step 4: Clock transfer case down

Step 5: Use front output to power rear axle

Step 6: ?????

Step 7: PROFIT!!!!!!!

well if you plan on the amount of power it seems like you are kinda hinting to from the V8 it will be like the Dodge "Little Red Wagon" Wheelstander, I hope you have individual rear brakes for steering as the front wheel will be in the air except when standing still.

Far chance ill do this i just like spit balling the idea..

but lets just say hypothetically..

the little red wagon was a purpose built wheel stander lol no weight in the front i mean nothing lol if you look at it it has a paper thin fiberglass.. anyways moving on...

weight wise the corvair handled like shit and was actually one of the most dangerous cars out there a rear wheel drive car should not have rear wheel lift when trying to corner lol...

now lets look at the Detomaso Pantera or the gt40 with the right stance there is no way the front end is coming off the ground..

ideally it i would like to butt the v8 right up against the rear of the cab (in say a 521 for example). gas tank cell in the front under the hood, low stance, radiator in the bed also. yeah hardest part would be engine to axle... oh and only around 300-350hp... stock lsx (4 or higher) would be even more ideal...

i heard the v-drive wont take the power due to the fact that its made to move water... im thinking transfer case may be the way to go...

I've personally have always kept an eye out for a 2000-ish Pontiac grand prix 3.8 v6 supercharged front clip/damaged car for just the occasion ... 280ft lbs of torque ... muahaha

Even though they pop headgaskets ... the setup itself in a heavy wide stance grand prix is pretty quick...

Should be very quick in a little datto ... hehe ;)

Well if you are looking for "out of the box" suggestions ...

A wild upgrade for a Pontiac Fiero is stuffing a Cadiliac Northstar 4.6 V8 in it (they are cool looking engines too). That seems like a pretty small and narrow "mid-engine V8" setup. I could see that combo making it's way into a Datsun truck bed.

There is a lot onlne about this swawp, here is one outfit that can answer questions: http://www.westcoastfiero.com/engine_conversions/conversion_info.html

the TH425 looks good but the porsche trans looks better, i just saw on GEARZ tv, they used a porsche trans mated to a Chevy v8 looks nice, not to bulky, and short and it shifts by wire so linkage wouldnt be to bad.. but those trans missions seam to run about 2k, and theres definately none in the junk yard lol.. interesting though.

i dont believe this it the SBWire model but you get the idea.

http://sacramento.cr...2906223960.html

i stand corrected...

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/pts/2926765719.html