The Blue gO_On build?

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see where to find the length and such on the rockauto website. its good info to have. Bummer tho, that they don't have struts listed for the 71, and other years say EXCEPT WAGON.  Only one strut listed too with no pic.

When you expand the Strut listing. Click on the little info button for the part, it will list the lengths inside.  Doesn't list shit for 68-73 510s. Only one strut listing for 510 period, no info, says not to use on wagon :lol: and not for 71

The metal trim how is it attached to grill? I see the metal tabs are broken off to mount to car

Sorry didn't see this. The square plates are molded to the bars. Not sure if that's the right wording, But I think you will get what I'm saying.

ZX struts are shortened. Almost 4" shorter than stock 510  :D. Also picked a set of swazies up for cheap, Probably won't run them though.

Everything is ready to go in tomorrow! 

IMG_1306_zpscb6cbab8.jpg

IMG_1320_zpsd02599cd.jpg

IMG_1323_zps4563a7e8.jpg

IMG_1326_zpsaa8256b9.jpg

IMG_1309_zps13529edd.jpg

IMG_1300_zps288f536a.jpg

• Like 1

did you have to drill the hole bigger for the top hat to fit those mr2 inserts in?

The set of zx struts I bought is for mr2 insert but he told me to buy rears and you've bought fronts?

This car looks sick though !  :w00t:  :thumbup:

How did you shorten those? Did you cut a section out and reweld? Or did you cut from the bottom.. it looks really clean if you cut and welded.

Atom helped me out on this. We ground the spring perch off, That left a groove in the strut tube. So we cut the top threaded piece off, then cut the amount we needed out of the tube (Trying to get rid of the groove made from removing spring perch). All cut with a pipe cutter, so it left a nice V-groove to weld on. He welded it, and then ground the weld down a little.

did you have to drill the hole bigger for the top hat to fit those mr2 inserts in?

The set of zx struts I bought is for mr2 insert but he told me to buy rears and you've bought fronts?

No drilling. The top hat threads right in. Only thing I had to do was file the insert a little bit to fit in the zx tube.

I bought 92 MR2 (SW20) front inserts. Your struts are probably shortened to 85 MR2 (AW11) rear insersts.

• Like 1

most people run the rear the fronts are shorter . if you use the front's you will be slammed and you will need a 7 or 6 inch coil  over spring

Atom helped me out on this. We ground the spring perch off, That left a groove in the strut tube. So we cut the top threaded piece off, then cut the amount we needed out of the tube (Trying to get rid of the groove made from removing spring perch). All cut with a pipe cutter, so it left a nice V-groove to weld on. He welded it, and then ground the weld down a little.

No drilling. The top hat threads right in. Only thing I had to do was file the insert a little bit to fit in the zx tube.

I bought 92 MR2 (SW20) front inserts. Your struts are probably shortened to 85 MR2 (AW11) rear insersts.

most people run the rear the fronts are shorter . if you use the front's you will be slammed and you will need a 7 or 6 inch coil  over spring

Thanks! yeah, he said they're shortened.

I was planning to buy some rear kyb ones.

these in exact. he said he had to drill the holes a bit bigger for these.

http://www.andysautosport.com/toyota/1985_1989_mr2/suspension/struts_and_shocks/kyb/

Everything is mostly in! Finishing up the brakes and a tie rod tomorrow. It is pretty low!  :D 

Bent control arm.

IMG_1360_zpsc0ba4f6e.jpg

Look what happened when I crashed.

IMG_1366_zpsb55eb800.jpg

New control arm and T/C rod in.

IMG_1358_zps7251f642.jpg

IMG_1370_zps3f438f34.jpg

IMG_1368_zps9b492b21.jpg

IMG_1374_zps010a97b3.jpg

IMG_1339_zps048a8cb1.jpg

IMG_1332_zpsf46ade7d.jpg

IMG_1341_zps8110849c.jpg

IMG_1377_zps21c9d180.jpg

IMG_1376_zpsf4653f6a.jpg

IMG_1382_zpsa5671c95.jpg

Yes or no on swazies?

IMG_1363_zps9cb6e80f.jpg

He had that just inside the rocker on the floor.....I love the way Derek makes everything sound so easy...lol

Intalled U-Bolts, block, gas tank, rear shocks....Still have to run air line.

Removed passenger side front suspension, LCA, LCA stud, Sway bar mount, Ball joint, control rod

Installed new LCA stud, LCA, control rod, new strut assembly and ball joint...............R&R driver side strut. with new unit.

Still need to fix bent tie rod...Which I have Derek!

• Like 1

I get lazy with words. Mike covered it  :P 

Tristin, haven't driven on it yet. Still got to fix the tie rod and install calipers. Then I can pour some gas in there and see how it drives. I will let you know how it feels. Although the springs are 450 pounds  :huh: