The Vinyl Solution

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I think the vinyl ones will turn out great. I won't let 'em ship out until they're awesome. The issue is I can't get a decent image of them to convert to SVG. Which means I have to hand trace the crappy JPEG, instead of taking the easy way out and utilizing the auto-trace. I wouldn't be bummed about doing a Bezier trace if the design wasn't so damn curvy. Especially since it will have a chrome outline. Then you inevitably end up with some parts thicker than others, and it takes forever to work your way through the graphic and get everything proportioned. And w/ black on chrome, any difference in border size will stick out like a sore thumb. It's going to be a lot of work, but in the end it will be a sweet product, and a testament to my skills. Once I have the master file tuned, I could cut 1,000 of these in a day. Too bad I only have one interested customer :D

well hang on to the file because im going to need at least another set once i get the perminant paint on this thing lol any way i can help maybe track down another pic?

Nice! BTW, and I'm sure haruspex agrees, these have waaay more personality in person. The camera doesn't capture them well. I have a hell of a time photographing some of the colors I have, they just don't show up right. Glad I could help. Still have some of this color left if anyone needs something made :D

Here's a cool cool tailgate piece another member had me make

IMG_20120412_215412.jpg

I've got a girl driving all the way down from Central Washington to pick this up! I think she's after more than just the decal ;)

IMG_20120414_165214.jpg

Getting a little closer to a working vector of the Bluebird-U emblem. This is tough going. It's gonna take some time, but I'll get it right. After I untangle all the nodes, and smooth all the edges, I'll begin on the outline. I have a cool picture in my head of how it's gonna look, but damn it's time consuming. I could cut 100 of these in less time than it'll take to vectorize the damn image. Now I gotta get some more Bluebird parts for my 620 so I can rock a pair of these once they're done :D already got the SU's, and arrow markers, maybe get an SSS grill to fit the 620???... ollz.

IMG_20120416_225806.jpg

Yeah, one of my vinyl sources sells some pretty legitimate mesh, thought about getting some. I have a top secret plan for my grill though. We'll see how it goes. Anyways Bonvo, these will be ready for you before Canby. And I saw your fresh paint, looks good.

• Like 1

Bonvo, you kick ass. I've been forced to learn all kinds of useful stuff while trying to make these :D They're not done by any means, but even in rough draft form they look good once cut in vinyl. Here's a couple pics of the steps I did tonight, from a bare bones design to eventually cutting and installing a neat prototype! These WILL be perfect in time for Canby.

IMG_20120417_220919.jpg

IMG_20120417_213619.jpg

IMG_20120417_211306.jpg

IMG_20120416_225806.jpg

I just gotta complety rebuild the dash and the U, and do some straightening. The dash and U are gonna have angular lines of black running through to simulate the actual 3D shape of them. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to explain it, but my vision is solid and you'll see what I mean real soon :D I'm having a blast designing all this stuff. Thank you Ratsun, you bring great joy to my life.

Where are my minions??? LOL!!!

Aargh!!! Angles are easy, curves are hard!!!! LOLZ, I made the Carl's Junior design in 5 mins, I've got an hour into your design and it's still crap :D I'll get it though. I'm no graphic designer, so some of these jobs getting thrown at me are kinda tough. The challenge is fun though.