Engine Oil Bargain

Since Oil is not getting any cheaper along with everything else.

I'm always on a look out for deals.

Kragen has Shell Oil for $1.49 each with a $1/quart mail in rebate, limit 12 per purchase. So each quart will end up just .49 cents

I'm stocking up for few months worth of oil change.

4 boxes (48 quarts) :D

And going to get some more from other Kragen stores.

Thought I'd share to you folks that wants to save money.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Smoking deal..

The cheapskate in me might have to go get some.

Jason

I don't think it's about being cheapskate.

Call it smart buying

Name brand Oil cost more than $2

On a standard L motor, oil is oil

They all came from the ground, most of it at least.

I just park over a cookie pan and that way I can just dump it back in the motor.:blink: It sucks when the tranny oil gets mixed in with the motor oil though as it messes up my viscosity.

I say just go to any restaurants and ask for their used cooking oil.

Good chance they'll give it to you for free by the gallons.

they've also got a deal for quaker state.

5 quarts plus oil filter for 7.99 after rebate.

if you prefer quaker state.

they were out of the regular filter for the roadster so they upgraded me to a k&n oil filter for free.

autozone:

usually has sale of 5qts (castrol :D )synthetic and mobil1 filter for ~$25 (4runner)

i just got 24(limit :( ) valvoline VR1 50wt for $2/qt (~$1 off)

going back over the weekend for another 24 :D

makes a diff when it takes 6qts to do a change... and the rings are bad.

Wow... you guys have it cheap. I just recently started using Castrol Syntec, and the cheapest I've found it is 6 litres for just over $40. I'm surprised at how clean my engine is though... closing in on 2000 km after the oil change and it still looks the same as it did coming out of the bottle.

I believe in running good oil in my rigs as well as premium gas. Not that much more to pay for the results in the long run. Thats just me tho.

Everything is relative.

If you have high performance enginecar then yes, better oil and gas is the way to go.

Standard L motor with high performance oil and higher octane gas will be a waste of money.

Your paying a ton more on premium gas and oil on motor that was design to run on standard oil and lower octane gas.

Everything is relative.

If you have high performance enginecar then yes, better oil and gas is the way to go.

Standard L motor with high performance oil and higher octane gas will be a waste of money.

Your paying a ton more on premium gas and oil on motor that was design to run on standard oil and lower octane gas.

And you'll get worse mileage/performance with higher octane gas if your engine doesn't need it.

So the fact that Ol Yeller does indeed get 2-3 mpg more using Union 76 premium as opposed to Union 76 regular is just my imagination? Don't wanna argue the point because it is soo not worth the time..but having said that, I do use nothing but Castrol GTX 10w30 oil and the aforementioned gasoline in my Lil L motor...got over 40K since I put him on the road and the innards are very clean and of course the 33-35 mpg he gets on my DAILY 95 mile round trip commute....... just statin the facts Man...

So the fact that Ol Yeller does indeed get 2-3 mpg more using Union 76 premium as opposed to Union 76 regular is just my imagination? Don't wanna argue the point because it is soo not worth the time..but having said that, I do use nothing but Castrol GTX 10w30 oil and the aforementioned gasoline in my Lil L motor...got over 40K since I put him on the road and the innards are very clean and of course the 33-35 mpg he gets on my DAILY 95 mile round trip commute....... just statin the facts Man...

hmm

Really, if what your saying is tried and true then

I need to reconsider the use of higher grade oil and gas then.

And still save on money, get more mileage and longevity of my engine. Actually the use of subgrade oil and gas is costing me more money!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Chevron 92 octane and Castrol Syntec all the way for my daily, although I think one time I had to use Shell...

To be honest I can't really tell much of a difference between octanes or oils. When I had my Explorer I used premium gas in it a couple times, and I think I recall a slight difference, but the "Seat Of The Pants" meter isn't all that reliable...

If you run a premium or mid premium gas and the timing is advanced for it then some gains might be had with it. You would have to keep track and work out if the extra cost equaled the better mileage. I run the cheap crap in our old Ford company van and tried several tanks of premium. Because we were working out of town the mileage was fairly constant and I kept careful records. You know what, we went further with premium by enough to more than offset the extra price!! The Ford probably automatically adjusted the timing (knock sensor) for the octane available.

Not all oils are made equal but are equal in the ground. Some have better additives than others BUT all have to pass a minimum standard of quality. Lately oils have been reducing the amount of phosphorus? in them to lower emissions that damage catalytic converters on newer cars. Fine for them who can afford a new Beemer but it's murder on cam wear (scuffing) on older cars. Diesel oil contains more than gas engine oils but with it's high detergent level it's dodgey to use in an older gas motor as it can over clean the carbon off the rings and actually lower compression.

Synthetic oils don't break down from heat as easily as regular oil so you can extend the change intervals. They offer more protection in high heat applications such as with a turbo. They are not the best choice for a high mileage or older engines that were built with looser intolerances than to-days engines. This stuff is SLIPPERY! and will seep past worn or old seals and gaskets. This is the only down side, well that, and the price.

For average use, use whatever you want in the proper viscosity. Changing the oil and filter regularly is way more important than the oil itself. If you DRIVE it (if you know what I mean) or spend time on the highway or pull a trailer or carry a load then for peace of mind move up to a premium or mid premium oil and change more often, no harm in that.

Hey Mike, do you know anything about oil additives? "Aftermarket" stuff, like Lucas Oil and the like... I knew a guy that worked for Audi and swore by it... he had a company car and used it regularly at every oil change. Thing is, I can't remember if he used synthetic or dino oil, and I've got no idea if it really works. Any input?

Hey Mike, do you know anything about oil additives? "Aftermarket" stuff, like Lucas Oil and the like... I knew a guy that worked for Audi and swore by it... he had a company car and used it regularly at every oil change. Thing is, I can't remember if he used synthetic or dino oil, and I've got no idea if it really works. Any input?

You mean like those on 'info-mercials'? I don't believe a word. Snake oil is right. I once saw an 1,100 hp dyno run on a motor with no oil or oil pan on. If this stuff is SOOOOO good why isn't everyone using it? I doubt it does any harm, I really doubt it does any good!!!

Rule Number One:

Change your oil AND filter regularly or when dirty, more often if towing or heavy duty use.