'79 210 Coupe build thread

In case you didn't know, I've owned a lot of Datsuns... :P

In the 45+ list of Dattos, somewhere in there were 5 different 210s. A '79 2dr (my first car ever), an '80 4dr, an '81 wagon, an '82 wagon, and an '81 coupe. I liked the 2dr sedan a lot (first car and all), but the coupe was probably my favorite. Minimal mods, but it was a riot to drive.

210sam3.jpg

Since foolishly selling it 5 years ago, I've been thinking about building another. Finally I decided I would set out to find another one. But this time, I was not looking for a "nice" one, as what I wanted to do with it meant starting with a "rolling shell" was the smart thing to do. Never pay for nice things on the car that you're going to change anyway. ;)

And thanks to a fellow member on the JNC forum, I found one.

It's not much to look at, but here it is. Found inside a donkey pen, on a back road, in the middle of nowhere, 4 miles outside a town called Cross Plains, TX. Sitting on four flats, and almost consumed by the sandy soil it has sat on for almost 15 years, it desperately needed saving.

crap_009s.jpg

As you'd expect, the interior is garbage.

crap_008s.jpg

But it's a 5-speed, the floors are solid, there's shockingly little rust (thankfully the dealer undercoated the crap out of it), it's a great color (don't like doing color changes), and the body is in quite good shape.

We drove out there (120 miles one way) last weekend to find it, then after a good look around, a deal was struck to come back again buy the car today. This time we drove out there with a trailer, 4 good wheels/tires, a jack, and a long steel cable to drag it out of the donkey pasture. :P

It is NOT easy to jack up a car on sand. :blink:

Wheels on and dragging...

my_210_01-21-12_002s.jpg

Got it up to the front of his property (about 200 yards), and loaded onto the trailer with minimal fuss...

my_210_01-21-12_006s.jpg

And after what seemed like a very long drive, here it is safe back at home...

my_210_585s.jpg

What's the plan? Start stripping it down to a bare shell, and building it into this... 8)

3U2V0843_copy.jpg

Time to start sourcing some parts... :cool:

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What motor are you thinking about dropping in there?

Leaning towards a carb'd KA?

ka010kl.jpg

But I'm keeping an open mind. I really don't think the A-series is what I want. Even though the car will be fairly light, I really think I want something with some grunt (L20b, Z22E, KA24E, etc.)? We shall see... :cool:

maybe those promo pics show all options.

Oh, I'm sure they do. Every promo pic seems to show a fully loaded car, I just for some reason doubt the rear wiper was a USDM option. Anybody ever seen one?

I just went through about 600 pics of USDM hatchbacks. Only two that had rear wipers were promo pics. :P

Geez, you want to see "fully loaded"? This car had EVERYTHING on it...

dra71h.jpg

Is that your favorite? Interestingly enough, according to the production date and VIN, it's possible this is one of the first 1000 or so North American B310s to ever roll off the assembly line.

isnt it everyones? round headlights, cooler grille, unique dash,,,

All SL 210s had the rear wipers. But not too many SLs were sold as the 210 was considered an economy car and why would anyone pay for the xtras when you could get a Citation for the same price?

Can you read the color number by the radiator? I'm pretty sure your car is a different color than the advertisement photo. I've seen that color in real life and it is significantly different than what your coupe has.

As for engines with grunt, how about 120 rwhp with a stock-block A12? Just add turbo and A14 cylinder head.

All SL 210s had the rear wipers.

for what it's worth, the tan SL at the top of this thread didn't, but my SL wagon did.

As for engines with grunt, how about 120 rwhp with a stock-block A12? Just add turbo and A14 cylinder head.

Grunt = torque. Not horsepower. ;)

And "just add turbo" is nowhere near as simple as you make it sound. :cool:

Yes, grunt = torque. And a turbo can give you a lot of it. Obviously a larger engine will give you even more, but the A12 can double it's torque from stock.

And the simplest A12 turbo setup is the one making the most power. He's not even using an intercooler.

Yes, grunt = torque. And a turbo can give you a lot of it. Obviously a larger engine will give you even more, but the A12 can double it's torque from stock.

Then you should have told me how much torque it makes. Not how much horsepower. ;)

And the simplest A12 turbo setup is the one making the most power. He's not even using an intercooler.

That's cool. But not for me. I've built a ton of A-series engines, full race, hot rod, turbo, and run-of-the-mill. I'm kind of over it. :P

A KA24E/KA24DE or SR20DE is going to give me what I'm after, with minimal fuss.

• Like 1