'79 210 Coupe build thread

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the engine decision may have been made for me... :P

Was talking to a friend of mine today who owns a D21. Seems he had a problem with his transmission, and shortly thereafter someone hit him in the driver's door. :blink:

So he bought another D21 wrecked in the front with only 79k miles on it. He took the tranny, the left door, the seat, and a few other small bits for his truck. So I says "hey, what are you doing with the spare engine?" :P

Picking it up tomorrow for $200. :cool:

photo_small.jpg

Was talking to another friend who recently pulled his KA24DE from his 240SX to swap in an SR20DET. He had previously "ventilated" the block of his KA with the #3 rod. So I says "hey, what are you gonna do with that 5spd?"

Picking it up tomorrow for $100. :cool:

The truck KA is rear-sump. Wonder how you'll fit it into the 210.

That's a secret for now. But trust me, when I'm done it'll drop right it with zero fuss. :cool:

It will work, just curious how you'll do it since you can't swap oil pans on a KA.

Why not? :P

You sometimes can't put the truck pan on the car motor (main girdle), but you can put the front sump car pan on the truck motor. Done that before.

There's also the option of using a flaming hacksaw to make it front sump. Done that too...

It's a moot point anyway, as I'm staying rear sump. ;)

where did you order flares from? I was just going to use Cherokee flares off a jeep but I'd way rather use the real ones.

I ordered mine from a seller on Yahoo Japan Auctions. Bought them from this guy. I used a service in Japan called Hayatonka to bid for me, and then ship them to me (most YJA sellers won't ship to the US).

I am getting my FRP bumpers in 2-3 weeks, did those the same way.

Price too

Sitting down? :P

They were 29,460 yen, aka $370 USD. :blink:

Quite spendy, but where else are you going to get them? You can order them direct from Restored.jp for roughly $450 shipped, but that's about it. :mellow:

And quite honestly, most of that is shipping/fees. Bought a set of flares for my 1200 from Classic Datsun a few weeks back for $240, which was roughly the same price. But ordering from Japan means 3 times the shipping cost, customs fees, fees of roughly 10% to Hayatonka, etc.

Expensive game to play...

I don't know about online pictures of gaskets, but my S13 KA24E has the exact same pan bolt pattern as both of my D21 engines. And I've put an S13 pan on a D21 engine before. Bolted straight on.

And, like I said, moot point. :P

I'm putting a rear sump pan engine into a car set up for a rear sump pan. ;)

The altima pan is the one above.

Which would explain it. The Altima/Stanza engine is different in MANY ways. :cool:

I will be modifying the pan slightly, though. I'll likely be removing the extra hump at the back and adding some "wings" for extra capacity.

Kinda like this:

oilpanbottom.jpg

And the Stanza oil-pan bolt pattern is totally different from the Altima. What were they thinking when they designed the KA? No other Nissan engine has so many incompatibilities.

No idea. :P

Yeah, the FWD car KA, RWD car KA, and truck KA are almost completely different engines. :lol:

And add to it a few minor differences because the truck engines are made in Mexico, not Japan. :lol:

All said and done, about $525.

So, so far I've spent more on flares than I did on the whole car, and more on bumpers than I've spent on the whole drivetrain. :P

Woah.. Ok I'm out haha. Looks like jeep flares and maybe test fitting the front air dam off an ae86 not sure what I will be using for the rear deck kid spoiler. Very cool build so far!

Woah.. Ok I'm out haha. Looks like jeep flares

Thought about that myself at one time. Would be very curious to see how they go. :)

not sure what I will be using for the rear deck kid spoiler.

Ah! Rear deck lid spoiler is the easy bit!

240Z rear spoiler. Either $170 from MSA or occasionally $100-125 on ebay.

I'm getting the MSA "Victory" rear spoiler. It's about 2" taller than the BRE. :cool:

large501606.jpg