Duncan's 71 "Oz" Goon

Duncan

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nothing too exciting to take pics of, but here's the roof final sanded down to 2500 grit and ready for buffing.

roofsand_1.jpg

Other areas are getting done but don't photograph well in my little booth.

jamsand.jpg

I hope to have the entire shell ready to buff by next weekend.  I'll really be glad to move on from here..

• Like 5

Wetsanding looks great, that thing is going to be smooth!!

Thanks Jay, hope to get all the sanding finished this Saturday.  I have two small spots I need to touch up where I sanded through the paint, but that's actually pretty good for a car with this many squared off corners. I have to do the driver's side quarter and the rocker panel on the same side.

csand.jpg

• Like 2

Had a great day in San Diego Datsunland today!  SO nice to be moving ahead again from sanding and painting!

rf1.jpg

rf3.jpg

sill4.jpg

These are just after the initial buffing.  I need a new pad before I can use a finishing compound.

I also sought out some pro advice on buffing, and I'm very glad I did.  My old methods used to work well, but I haven't kept up with new and improved methods and products.  I'm very pleased how this car is coming along compared to others I've done.

• Like 6

hmmm.   I would do that, but it really entails a LOT.  There a a lot of different ways and methods to approach this, and they are all correct.  If you're really interested, send me a pm.   I don't necessarily want this thread to break out into a "how-to" about color sanding and buffing.  Every time someone asks for painting advice, a lot of folks jump in with different, yet accurate, advice.  What works for me doesn't necessarily work for the next guy.  The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know :)

It kinda deserves it's own topic if folks are interested.

Care to explain your old and new method of buffing?

• Like 1

Thanks folks.  The paint and body work on this wagon has been quite a project.  It's gratifying to see it finally coming together.  I appreciate your nice comments!

Sebpv, I do not tape the edges.  I use a smaller 3" pad on a drill motor and will carefully sand and polish right to the edge. If I think it might burn through, I polish the edge by hand using using Blue Magic Metal Finish as a compound. 

Mr Big, for a quick fluff and buff, please see Mrs Big....

• Like 3