Duncan's 71 "Oz" Goon

Duncan

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posting this up is the same for me.  Making all this public keeps me focused on it.  

I'm not back in San Diego until after Christmas, so I plan to start digging through all my parts to see what needs work.  I'm sure I can find an item or two that needs attention.  

This is so motivating

Speaking of posting this up...I have to paint the car, yet again.

When I painted the car last week, I noticed that maybe it was a shade too blue, and maybe not enough green. I brought a piece with me today and sure as shit, it didn't match.    Bottom line is, the paint store is going to make it right, but I have to sand down the entire shell and paint it yet again.  I also have to remove and replace all the masking, as well.  :(

I'm picking up the paint tomorrow and damn sure painting a test piece before I spray the car again..

paint2.jpg

Thanks Draker, I needed a laugh.

Turned out the manufacturer had to change binders or tints (or something similar) that goes in the paint. (gotta love the heavy-handed government)  The manufacturer made a running change to comply with whatever the rules are today.  Clearly, the substitution caused the color problem.  We dealt with this a LOT when I was at Fender.

Fortunately for me, I have a great relationship with this paint store, and those guys are doing a color match with a spray out for me.  Normally, that's relatively expensive and they are doing that for free. They are also replacing the half-gallon of material I used on the car.  This was no fault of their own, but they are really taking care of this. 

So, one more time, eh?    Shit happens.  Ain't too big a deal.

Would it be any easier to just sand and respray the other panels?

NO!  I have 4 doors, a valence, hatch lid, hood, etc, etc..

Much easier and faster to sand and respray the shell.

The doors are completely assembled and the weatherstrip is glued into place.  They would need to be replaced to do it right.  I really hate working on doors, and don't want to backtrack on that again.  :poop: :poop: :poop: :crying: :frantics: :mad: :angry:

• Like 3

Yeah, the sanding is about 3/4 finished after today, and I should be finished up with it this Saturday.  About a day to remask, and then I can shoot it all in one shot.  It's still a lot of work, but easier and much faster than doing each piece again.     

You are definitely not a quitter! That is alot of work to redo....and sadly it was a really nice looking paint job too. I hope this is the one that gets it done for you!

Thanks Jay.  I got the sanding done, and the upper half of the car is re-masked.  (i don't know what's worse, sanding or masking) All I have to do is mask around the bottom to keep the paint from blowing onto the underside.  I'm headed down Saturday to (hopefully) finish it up.

No photos, because it looks exactly like it has for the last two paintjobs :)

I stopped by the paint store today, and they are taking great pains to match the color exactly.  They showed me about 6 spray outs, and I could live with the last couple they showed me.  So at least there's some good news on the paint front.

I also measured and (carefully) drilled my front fenders for the flag mirrors.  I also looked at one of the repairs I did, and decided to improve it now instead of later, so both fenders are getting some more love and a repaint.  I'll take some pics of that tomorrow..

• Like 1

Thats cool that the color may finally be right, what an adventure this has turned into!

Between sanding and masking I'd rather mask, but both are tedious. The sanding is where the smooth finish comes from though....at least there's a reason to take the time! What pushes me over the edge is trying to clean all the mess from the wetsanding out of all the seams and whatnot. I'm still finding stuff I missed on my Z from back in 1999!

Well, third time's a charm.

newmask.jpg

It's ready yet again.  I should be able to get my paint tomorrow.  Hope to get one of my fenders painted this week (or weekend) depending on the weather.  I'm definitely painting something to compare colors prior to painting the shell again.  On the positive side, I got the booth super clean, and the masking is better than the first time.

If all goes well, it should be painted next week.

Fingers crossed.

• Like 3

Thanks James. (And the rest of you guys)  I'm sure James has a very good insight on paint problems.  The State is making it very difficult to get any continuity on paint products these days.  I also just found out that newer reducer has a lot more Acetone in it and has also been causing problems.

I was lucky enough to get a gallon of (the now) older reducer.  I think the solvent based products are on their last legs.  I suspect it will be waterborne crap sooner than later..

That wagon WILL be my bitch :)

Mark is Iron man da da da da da. He will succeed

Happy new year buddy. Make that wagon ur bitch

• Like 1

Been sick for the past two weeks and this cold keeps getting worse and worse.  Finally went to the Dr, and turns out the cold morphed into a sinus infection.  Got some horse pills, so I should be feeling better.

Got my new paint, and one of the fenders sanded.  It's been raining here, so no painting.  (Plus I have been feeling lousy)

May do it today if I feel up to it.  I need to get this done to make sure the color match is on the money.

Fender is out in the sun warming up.

rtfen.jpg

Paint products doing the same.  Trying to get this stuff warmed up a bit so it will go on better.

rtfen2.jpg

Holes for flag mirrors.  Had to do a little repair around the large hole perimeter due to the hole saw damaging the paint and leaving rough edges.  She smooth now..

rtfen1.jpg

• Like 1

Even though it was below 60 degrees in my garage, I did it anyway.  I have to wait until it dries, but holding up a painted piece next to it looks like a match. 

Fingers crossed in different lighting...

fndr.jpg

Note to self:  Do not suspend big parts from only two wires.  The air pressure from the gun makes it swing back and forth making it difficult to get the paint on there evenly :)

• Like 2

Even though it was below 60 degrees in my garage, I did it anyway. I have to wait until it dries, but holding up a painted piece next to it looks like a match.

Fingers crossed in different lighting...

fndr.jpg

Note to self: Do not suspend big parts from only two wires. The air pressure from the gun makes it swing back and forth making it difficult to get the paint on there evenly :)

Better than one wire! Good luck.

• Like 2