Duncan's 71 "Oz" Goon

Duncan

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm sure that's got an awesome 3/4 blind spot, what on earth is it.

Chevrolet HHR.  Not sure if they sold them anywhere else. (Maybe Canada?)  This is the commercial version they called a HHR Panel.  My wife calls it the ice cream truck.

The mirrors are quite good, but I'm still careful where I park so I don't have to back out in traffic on the blind side... 

Because of the FWD, a conventional bullet cap won't work.  The spider cap looks good, but the wheel pcd is not a std Chev or Ford  size.  I drove to Mooneyes, and they were kind enough to let me try a spider cap in the parking lot.  Close, but it didn't fit.

I was also on a mission to adhere to the Ratsun budget of under $100.  If I didn't have the paint, hardener, and reducer in stock, it would have gone way over budget :{ 

Just make sure that motor is sealed off from the exhaust stream (intrinsically safe?) Would suck if it throws a spark with all those paint fumes in there. :frantics:

Oh shit. I did this last time. I guess I got lucky. That fan I used was old and had a bad switch too.

Just make sure that motor is sealed off from the exhaust stream (intrinsically safe?) Would suck if it throws a spark with all those paint fumes in there. :frantics:

Oh yeah.  I worked for Fender a few years back, and someone was welding at the Mexico guitar plant with the dust collection system on.  A hot one went up, and the plant burned down in about 3 minutes as I understand it.  Fortunately, the plant was mostly empty.  Which makes me wonder why the dust collector was on in the first place...

• 2 weeks later...

Really been pulling my hair out over some bad master cylinders. I was putting the rear end back in, when my NOS Nabco master took a dump on me.  It was in the car for a year or maybe longer, but the damn thing was unused.  Couldn't find another one or a rebuild kit, either.  Ended up buying a 280z mc since I'm running disc/drum setup. That didn't fit because of my b210 booster.  

Bought a cheapie from Oreilly's, and it was bad out of the box.  Got another cheapie replacement, and got one that finally worked.

mc.jpg

The master cylinder rodeo put me a few weeks behind my Halloween timeline for paint.  I should be pretty close, though.  My friend was out of the shop today, so rather than work on light fixtures for the booth, I'm going over some minor things on the body work and started the tedious job of masking.  

masking.jpg

Not a lot of fun, but at least it was a productive day, and the brake master was still working from last Saturday :)

• Like 2

mask.jpg

I could paint this today, but I need a quart of primer/sealer that now appears to be non-compliant for California use. Fack.  I also have to mask more than usual to keep the undercarriage work clean.  Pain in the ass, but it is what it is.

Thanks to my fellow vets for their service to our country.  You do us proud! 

• Like 3

Trip to Nevada in order?

I got lucky.  I've been dealing with 2 auto paint places for years, and I hooked one of them up with Fender many years ago.  The owner of the place said he couldn't sell me what I needed, so he gave me a quart and the hardener. 

Will probably be painting the weekend after next.  Possibly before, but we'll see.  Don't want to rush it at this point.  I still have to clean the car like mad, and I'll be looking at every square inch of it.  Hopefully, I won't run into too many little things to fix. I'm going to have the guys at the shop nitpick it to death, too.  They're really good at it :)

Good job on that booth and the paint prep looks excellent! I can see this will come out well. Don't know where in California you are but if you are close to San Diego I can get paint materials down in Tijuana that you can't get here anymore. If you need anything let me know.

Thanks Leche.  My car is in San Diego at a friend's shop, so I'm down there a few days a week.  I have a hookup for stuff in Mexico, but I will remember your kind offer if I get in a bind.  I'm not planning on another project like this one, so I'm hoping I don't need anything in the future.  (Famous last words)

I'm putting the wagon together, then I'm getting a hugger orange wagon straightened out for a friend of mine.  After that, I'm gonna sit in my rocker and watch soap operas :)

• Like 1