Duncan

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looking good!

You need an Aussie touch to make it a real "Oz Goon".

Thanks Jason.  It seems like it was forever ago, but when it showed up it had some plates on it, which I kept.  I actually drove it around for a few months with those plates on it  before I got my state-issued plates. 

I met a few native Australians here that couldn't believe I was driving a 1600 wagon with the Aussie plates :)  One guy told me that these were vintage plates from the actual era of the car.  I don't know if that's true or not, but he was freaking out over the wagon.

It also had a set of Cheviot wheels on it.

CnC1.JPG

I plan on breaking the law and running the front Aussie plate on it :thumbup:

• Like 2

Well, other than touching up a few trouble spots, the color sanding and buffing is done.  The bright lighting in my booth washed out most of the photos.  Here's one that came out, even though it looks a little weird.

Doors and other assorted things going back on very soon!

dsill.jpg 

• Like 3

So nice to be moving on!

I've nicknamed the strip that goes between the rear bumper and the body the "Test Mule".  I have a couple of spots on the wagon shell that I need to touch up, and even though I have done a few successful blends on some other parts, I want to make doubly sure I can do it successfully before I touch up the wagon.  So, I painted the Test Mule again and will scuff up an area and blend it out tomorrow.

tm.jpg

Painted the fuel door and once the paint was on, I noticed it's a bit wavy.  Believe it or not, I need to hit the door with high build primer and block the damn thing out.  I can't have waves in the door with a straight quarter panel.  Amazing for a new part, but it is what it is..

gd.jpg

Dug these out of hibernation.  I have some black pebble grain vinyl and I'm going to try my hand at reupholstering these.  It looks pretty simple, and my friend in San Diego has the correct glue.  How hard can it be?

uphol.jpg

• Like 1

So nice to be moving on!

I've nicknamed the strip that goes between the rear bumper and the body the "Test Mule".  I have a couple of spots on the wagon shell that I need to touch up, and even though I have done a few successful blends on some other parts, I want to make doubly sure I can do it successfully before I touch up the wagon.  So, I painted the Test Mule again and will scuff up an area and blend it out tomorrow.

tm.jpg

Painted the fuel door and once the paint was on, I noticed it's a bit wavy.  Believe it or not, I need to hit the door with high build primer and block the damn thing out.  I can't have waves in the door with a straight quarter panel.  Amazing for a new part, but it is what it is..

gd.jpg

Dug these out of hibernation.  I have some black pebble grain vinyl and I'm going to try my hand at reupholstering these.  It looks pretty simple, and my friend in San Diego has the correct glue.  How hard can it be?

uphol.jpg

It is easy to cover.you will do fine.

I've been dreading this a bit, but I got the drip rail molding back on the car.  Wet sanded it with 3000 grit prior to install, then polished it with Blue Magic by hand once it was on the car.  

I have some small buffing wheels that go on a drill or die grinder, so I may try to polish it a bit more on the car.  That stuff is WAY to flimsy to try to polish it while it's loose.  

It took a few hours, but I managed to get it on the car with no collateral damage.  I'm glad I don't have to do this again...

drip.jpg   

The trim isn't perfect, but I used the best pieces I had.  Seems like it all had some dents or dings..

Also, started taking the ugly out of the kick panels.  It was actually fun doing these.  It was kinda like an arts and crafts project.

kp.jpg

I used some 1/8" high density foam for the luxuriousness of it all.

kp1.jpg

Applying one coat of glue to the simulated rich, corinthian leather.  (Actually, it's a very nice looking black pebble grain vinyl)  I did end up using 2-3 coats of glue for each surface to be mated to another.

I will be getting the vinyl covering on these finished up before I head back home tomorrow.    

• Like 3

Yeah you snapper head it will be the shit. So sell your wagon your out. Hahahahahahaha

Well at least I had my time. You'll never have yours. LOL. I have a scrap bin here that your wagon will fit in. Just sayin.

Marks wagon will now be the bench mark for all future builds.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Acquired a headliner and started putting it in.  Very frustrating as I think the headliner is NOT correct. The headliner bows are spaced 11" center to center, and the sewn sections of the headliner vary a LOT.  I know they need to be stretched, but by the time I got to the front of the car, it was about 1/2" short.    

hliner.jpg

To stretch it as far as it needs to go, I made some sheet metal hooks that clip into the windshield channel.  The hooks attach to a turnbuckle on each side of the headliner.  I actually put a piece of 1/2 solid round bar stock in the headliner to pull it.  The headliner bow deflects way too much when it's pulled.

I have a couple of halogen lights keeping the headliner quite warm, and I keep tightening it a couple of turns at a time.  I'm trying to make this one work, but I may have to get another.  We'll see.. 

I will say it's the tightest headliner I've ever seen :)

I tried to find a mobile headliner service in the San Diego area, but no luck..

I have only installed one headliner and it was a complete bitch kitty, if I would have run into your situation I probably would have burned the car to the ground in a fit of rage.

With the talent you have, I am certain you will get it worked out.  Good luck buddy.

• Like 1

I woke up this morning and then it hit me that this headliner would NOT work based on where the bows were located on it.  So with that as a certainty, I decided to go with this headliner as is, and re-drilled the headliner bow mounting holes to where they should be to use this headliner.  Once I realized this would work, I got a little pissed at myself for not thinking of it earlier.  It only took me an hour or so, and all the bows go where they should, based on this headliner. 

It was another job that should have taken 30 minutes, but ended up taking nearly a day and half due to shoddy aftermarket parts.  The headliner itself is really nice, it's just the sections weren't spaced properly for this car.  I actually had one bow that was off by 1.5"

This is sort of what happened with the door rubber.  I got it to work okay, but spent a shitload of time figuring out how to get it installed where it was going to work.

Anyway, I was too involved (aka: pissed off and frustrated) with it to take many pics of what I did, but here it is with the bows all installed properly and in the car.  In comparison, the stretching and gluing should be relatively easy and straightforward, but you just never know with aftermarket stuff :)

hliner1.jpg

• Like 3

With the talent you have, I am certain you will get it worked out.  Good luck buddy.

Thanks Kelly.  I didn't think it would be so tough if it fit properly, but that is what I have had to deal with on some of this.

The term "Cast Iron Bitch" comes to mind...

Damn Duncan. You have big balls trying that. My hat's off to you. I wouldn't even think about doing that.

Well, I would have used a mobile headliner service since the car has no windows or doors (and no trailer) but it would have been a nightmare for any installer.  Fortunately, I was able to get it to work.  I was really was pissed at myself once I realized how simple the fix was.

And Mr Datrod, I got that piece to the shop and will cut those pieces for you this Saturday when I get back down there.  I was running out of time, and wanted to get on the road back home and not hit too much traffic.  I will get those to you soon, Bud..

• Like 1

I did get this one from ebay.  If you have the industrial sewing machine and the chops, my hat's off to you.  I can't sew a button back on my shirt :)

where did you get that headliner? I see one popping up on ebay but i find it $$. Given its simplicity I was contemplating at making it myself.

• Like 1

The headliner I got for the coupe came from Ebay....two years ago maybe.

I feel your pain on the "woke up and realized....." bit, if I had a dime for every time that has happened to me, I'd have.....well, a lot of stinkin' dimes.