• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got this little project done.

flr1.jpg

flr2.jpg

Note to self:  Never attempt to do this again unless car is on a rotisserie or a lift of some sort..

Also got the rear axle cleaned (de-munged) and primered today.  Surprisingly, it was much better shape than I expected.  I didn't bring my paint stuff thinking I would be cleaning this all day today and tomorrow.  I actually could have painted it today. No big, I have plenty to do in the meantime...  

raxle.jpg

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys.  It looked like shit due to years of leaks and road mung.  You can't just sorta clean it, so it's all in or nothing. 

I'm not opening the hood until the engine swap is done.  I left the L20 alone because I'm going to drive it with that motor to dial in a few things after it's back together.  Other than a gasket set, it was pulled out and put back in the way it came out.  It's not sexy or terribly clean :)

We're setting up the booth and exhaust system (hopefully) this week.  I hope to have it painted by Halloween.

• Like 1

Thanks Nelson.  I appreciate your offer.  It should be painted soon, and all the parts are mostly ready to go back on.  My goal is to get it done, and after that, I have an orange wagon that I want to color sand and polish by next JCCS... 

Also, due to my vertigo getting worse, I am considering rebuilding the L20 and adding a dual SU carb setup to it.  It's about all I can do to drive my daily back and forth to San Diego, so I'm not sure how much the wagon will be driven once it's back together.  IMHO, a nicely done L Series in a 510 is still pretty nice, and I have yet to hear anyone gripe about  seeing an L motor in a 510.  We'll see what happens.  I haven't made up my mind yet.       

its got to be done by next year i will help in any way i can

• Like 1

Thanks Nelson.  I appreciate your offer.  It should be painted soon, and all the parts are mostly ready to go back on.  My goal is to get it done, and after that, I have an orange wagon that I want to color sand and polish by next JCCS... 

Also, due to my vertigo getting worse, I am considering rebuilding the L20 and adding a dual SU carb setup to it.  It's about all I can do to drive my daily back and forth to San Diego, so I'm not sure how much the wagon will be driven once it's back together.  IMHO, a nicely done L Series in a 510 is still pretty nice, and I have yet to hear anyone gripe about  seeing an L motor in a 510.  We'll see what happens.  I haven't made up my mind yet.       

keep the L series. Maybe go fuel injection.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a very large exhaust fan on the ceiling in the next bay.  We have 10" ducting to run it into my area.  We are covering the structure with plastic and rigging up some flourescent lights.  It should be pretty nice.  I usually work in my garage or driveway, so this is luxurious to me :)

• Like 1

Waiting on some parts I ordered, so I had the time for a little Ratsun side project..

My daily.  I always hated the hubcaps, but it looked worse with them off..

hhr1.jpg

Got some bullet lug nuts and some trim rings.  Grand total about $75 for a makeover.

hhr2.jpg

I always thought the stock steelies looked like little artillery wheels, so I'm rockin' a new look on the cheap.  (I did paint the wheels with chassis black paint)

hhr3.jpg

Would like to throw some bullet caps on there but the fwd is a problem.  I have a solution, but it requires a bit of cad work and some machining.  Some day in the future, maybe..

• Like 1