Duncan's 71 "Oz" Goon

Duncan

Using imgbb.com now for a photo hosting site.  I've not had good luck with the sites, so we'll see what happens.  Also got approved for Datsun510.com in case anything else goes wrong.

Hot tanked, painted, and installed the wiper assemnbly and cowl. (Wiper arms and new boots at home)

cowldone.jpg

Excited about buttoning the dash up.

ddone.jpg

ddone1.jpg

btw, the map light is installed and very underwhelming.  Could be my battery is somewhat low, but nobody is reading a map with the light output from mine :)

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Using imgbb.com now for a photo hosting site.  I've not had good luck with the sites, so we'll see what happens.  Also got approved for Datsun510.com in case anything else goes wrong.

Hot tanked, painted, and installed the wiper assemnbly and cowl. (Wiper arms and new boots at home)

cowldone.jpg

Excited about buttoning the dash up.

ddone.jpg

ddone1.jpg

btw, the map light is installed and very underwhelming.  Could be my battery is somewhat low, but nobody is reading a map with the light output from mine :)

Mark there very dim. Mine is the same way.

Mark there very dim. Mine is the same way.

I think the lense built into the bezel diffuses most of the light.  I tested the bulb prior to install, and it was pretty bright.  Mine was in the car when I got it, so I can't bitch too much.

Can you switch out the bulb for an LED?

Not too sure if that's possible.  It's a strange bulb.  The bulb is actually pretty bright.  There's a white translucent lense in the center bezel that doesn't let much light through, and I am guessing that's the problem.

Wags looks good by the way, love the detail and work you are putting in, will easily be one of the best when it is done...

(Are they ever done?)

Thanks.  You're right about never being really done!  They are always evolving in one way or another. 

• Like 1

Well, the three doors other than the drivers door went on pretty well.  The driver's door, not so much.  It needed way more adjustment than the standard mounting holes provided, so I did a bit of hogging on the holes.

dholes.jpg

The door needed to go go down and forward, so I hogged out the upper hinge that way.  Bottom hinge was hogged out in the opposite direction so the door would move down and forward. 

Got it very close with hinge and striker plate adjusting.  The bottom was still out too much, so I got a little medieval with the doors with some towel-wrapped 2x4 lumber and forced those bitches right into place.  Chip Foose would approve, IMHO..

Pebble Beach concours? maybe not, but close enough for the girls I go with.

Driver's side

rsd.jpg

Passenger side

lsd.jpg

Wipers and front valence on.

frontend.jpg

I'm very happy to be finally moving on from the doors.  

• Like 4

If you really want to come to either Huntington Beach or San Diego, I will take the front end apart, and we can paint that front panel black.  No plum crazy purple, canary yellow, or anything fruity though...  Come on by! :)

Yeah, because next time I'm in San Diego I'm going to sneak in and do it myself. Organically.  :rofl:

Well piss.  This was shiny and looked nice when I put it in my shed a few months back.  Not so much when I dug it out yesterday..

grrust.jpg

The 5 center bars rusted pretty nicely.  I think these must be a crappy stainless alloy of some sort.  They polished up, then rusted. 

Didn't have too many options, so I sanded them and painted them a satin finish black.  I prefer shiny, but this will do.

grpaint.jpg

• Like 2

I assume they did that to stamp the pieces.  Better stainless might be harder to manufacture.  I used acrylic urethane vs spray paint, so it should hold up fairly well.   It looks pretty good, IMHO. 

They are a very low grade stainless, since they are always painted from the factory. 

Better stainless might be harder to manufacture.  

Better stainless tends to crack when you bend it into a complex shape. 

Having said that, the headlight eyebrows and hood trim defy that logic...   :rofl:

I used acrylic urethane vs spray paint, so it should hold up fairly well.  

Honestly, spray paint holds up fairly well....   ^_^

Of course I usually take it off every two years to polish it and paint it again, so...   :rofl:

Looks killer.  :thumbup:

Cant argue with those three points there.  Spray paint (especially acrylic enamel) has really gotten much better.  

I'm an old fart, though.  I don't like anything new or different  :thumbup:

Better stainless tends to crack when you bend it into a complex shape. 

Having said that, the headlight eyebrows and hood trim defy that logic...   :rofl:

Honestly, spray paint holds up fairly well....   ^_^