Five guys burgers

Guest Rick-rat

Guest Rick-rat

I went to Five Guys Burgers in Renton today to give them a try, I was not impressed, just an overpriced average burger. In n Out and Carl's Jr. are both better. What really sucked at the Renton store was no parking and no drive through, have to park at least a block away if not farther to go there. I won't be going to the place they are going to open soon in Lakewood, not worth it. Any body else been to one of their stores?

• Like 1
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been to the one down here in Vancouver and it's always been awesome. The meat is much higher quality and far better seasoned than Carl's. Haven't been to I-n-O so I'm not sure how they compare. I do my burgers with everything on them, but if you're just getting a straight, no thrills burger, I would totally go somewhere else as the cost-to-value ration widens then.

12 bucks for a cheeseburger small fry and small coke is not overpriced?

My point is more like carls is horrible for the price, Like I prefer Jack in the Box any day over them. But Five Guys tastes different than any fast food, they arent really fast food. So I wouldnt compare them. They are my favorite burger place with the exception being my own burgers I make. I like making burgers.

In-n-out hands down!

I tried 5 guys last month after a football game. I ordered grilled onions and I couldn't really taste the onions. My sister said the same about the mushrooms. We ate there and it felt like I was back in highschool eating in the cafeteria. In-n-out or CJ's like mentioned above.

yeah i agree, in'n'out is the best and carls is somewhat close second but i heard all of the five guys hype and was let down. they have bland burgers and try to make up for it with bacon, grilled onions and mushrooms. (though it helps, the base burger is still just not as good). that being said, in'n'out with bacon and mushrooms would be pretty intense

I never knew so many people liked Carl's. I have always just thought of them as pretty mediocre.

I agree.

We don't have an In-n-Out here in the NW.. but I dig them. Personally I like Dickie Jo's more than Five Guys. Burgers are about the same.. but the Dickie Jo's fries are better. Carls... Not even top five. It's true fast food burgers just like McDonalds.

i would much rather have in n out over most places thats for sure now if you venture off of the fast food burgers go to the little nugget in reno and get the aweful aweful burger (awefulbig and aweful good) or if your in sacrament stop by the squeeze in and get a burger there

Never had five guys, only had in and out once, any PDX or Oregon people have input on Little Big Burger? I love 'em! Burger, cheese burger (cheddar, Swiss, blue, or chèvre), veggie burger, truffle fries, soda, float, canned beer. <-- that's the menu. Burgers are cooked medium, local beef, veggies, and buns. Craft beer in cans. And decently priced. But... Original location is in the pearl, so no parking :(

I never thought they were bad. Keep in mind, the resteraunts aren't ALL the same, so the one you happen to not like may not reflect them as a whole much.

My cousin works at one in South Bend Indiana, and we stopped for a burger and I was more then impressed. The burger wasn't the best I've ever had, but the amount of food for the money is awesome. The fries come in buckets. lol (Not literally)

Service is quick, people are nice, but like I said that doesn't speak for them all.

my pdx input is if you want a good burger and a great pint, any Mcmenamins is the best, even fair on price. want LOTS of parking, watch a movie during, have a gigantic area to roam with different types of bars, tske a dip in a pool, explore gardens, a haunted location, maybe get too drunk to drive and get a cheap room for the night? Mcmenamins has your back, and the owners are cool as hell too. The only place you can get their fantastic microbrews also. They do have a few tiny 1 bar places around, but they're into restoring historic buildings except making them into mega taverns. No, i'm not affiliated with them, just like them that much.

my pdx input is if you want a good burger and a great pint, any Mcmenamins is the best, even fair on price. want LOTS of parking, watch a movie during, have a gigantic area to roam with different types of bars, tske a dip in a pool, explore gardens, a haunted location, maybe get too drunk to drive and get a cheap room for the night? Mcmenamins has your back, and the owners are cool as hell too. The only place you can get their fantastic microbrews also. They do have a few tiny 1 bar places around, but they're into restoring historic buildings except making them into mega taverns. No, i'm not affiliated with them, just like them that much.

Which mcmenamins? I go to the Roadhouse/Imbrie Hall and Rockcreek Tavern kinda frequently, pretty decent, but depends on which one you go to.

There is a burger shop here called Helvetia Tavern, so good.

Fearless brewpub in Estacada is great option as well, they tend to focus their brewing on lighter ales but the food they serve there is excellent.

The Alameda brewpub has awesome beer ( consistently better them Mcmenamins ) but has become a bit to 'trendy' for my taste. Food is 'ok'.

If you want great food though, both the Wichita pub in Clackamas and the Carver Hanger have amazing food ( skip the fries at the hanger though ),

I like kennedy school NE, chrystal ballroom downtown, edgefield ummm, up I84, etc, it doesn't matter which one you pick, they're all great. Theres Oregon Hotel in mcminville too. If I feel like dancing, chrystal ballroom is my favorite, otherwise Edgefield is.

Better microbrew than mcmenamins?!! Really? Wow, not arguing, anythings possible, and I will try it for myself, but other than Descutes (SP?) inversion IPA, never liked anything better than their IPA or a nice terminator on nitro mix, and those fries english style are my favorite too. I like mine with the skin on though, so maybe that's a big part of it.

I never knew so many people liked Carl's. I have always just thought of them as pretty mediocre.

Yeah I am the same. I grew up with them and put them on the same level as Burger King, Jack in the Box, and McDonald's. Just another fast food chain to me.

Personally, I like Five Guys. In and Out is good, but after you work next to them for three years, you kind of get burned out.

Datwifey and I are all into the small burger joints now. Zippy's in Seattle is the shit. Just had Burger Madness today, not too bad. Red Mill, touristy, but delicious.

• 2 weeks later...

Average.. overpriced.. burger...???? I'd say it's twice the burger you get at In-n-Out.

I guess it depends on what you get put on it, I suppose. But it was the best fast-food burger I've ever had. In-n-Out is like eating McDonald's,

only I wait in line for a fucking hour before I get to eat. Just long enough for me to lose interest. Oh and it's 350miles round-trip to the nearest In-n-Out...

five-guys.jpg

You can't tell me that doesn't like 123900234 times better than In-n-Out!

And oh my god the fries... get in my fucking mouth right now, Five Guy Fries!

in-n-out_burger.jpg

Can you say corporate YUCK?!

Also, potatoes that look rotten when they press 'em... grossed me out seeing that, so I only get burgers now. Double Double meat on the cheese, animal style. Hold the fries.

And Carl's Jr. is like maybe on the higher end of fast food.. their six dollar burgers are good though. But their guac burgers tastes like Walmart Guac with water.

BTW, never compare a major-chain burger joint burger to something at any Ma-n-Pop's burger joint... totally different tier of awesomeness.

That'd be like comparing good ol' home cooked meals with nasty crap like Shari's. Totally different league.

I wouldnt say any burger is better than another for me. It depends on what I am in the mood for. I like almost all burgers except for Burger King.

Favorites:

In n out = double double with grilled onions and animal style fries

5 Guys = Junior Burger with grilled onions and cajun fries

Jack in the box = regular cheese burger with secret sauce with onion rings

McDonalds = Cheese burgers and fries

Carls Jr = Western Bacon Cheese Burger with deep fried zucchini

Wendys = Single with cheese no onions, I would say Spicy Chicken samich but this is a burger thread with fries