"Farmers 620"

Farmer

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I did research about these pistons and I havent' seen any failures. But they may be out there. Theres a few Datto guys have been using them in there builds too. So Im not too worried.

But thanks for the concern.

I did research about these pistons and I havent' seen any failures. But they may be out there. Theres a few Datto guys have been using them in there builds too. So Im not too worried.

But thanks for the concern.

I'm sure it will be fine man.  The failures i heard about were in 2 stroke/4 stroke bikes. maybe they just don't jet their shit correctly or don't let it warm up properly before riding. Cold seizures are a thing that happens on bikes..  Not trying to rain on your parade.  I'd have a hard time installing those tho... As I would like to look at them :rofl:

Dont know if it applies but I run Wisecos in my turbo honda and theyre great!

Sweet man.  Maybe it's just in the MX world, but agian as said above it could just be user error.

I'm sure it will be fine man.  The failures i heard about were in 2 stroke/4 stroke bikes. maybe they just don't jet their shit correctly or don't let it warm up properly before riding. Cold seizures are a thing that happens on bikes..  Not trying to rain on your parade.  I'd have a hard time installing those tho... As I would like to look at them :rofl:

Sweet man.  Maybe it's just in the MX world, but agian as said above it could just be user error.

I would say it was error in tuning, small engines are a lot more sensitive to jetting, so it is a lot easier to fry a piston. They have been making quality pistons for years, we use them in our bikes back in the 60s.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Passenger car pistons are 15-18% silicon (basically powdered glass and are said to be hyper eutectic) and expand very little when warmed up. This way you can run much closer piston/cylinder clearances. The advantage is they are quiet on cold start up and cheap to make. Disadvantages are they are brittle and won't survive detonation for long.

Forged are very low silicon content (below eutectic limit 12%) or less down to virtually zero. Very strong and can survive high heat and abuse much better. They do expand much more than hyper eutectic pistons so cylinder clearance is larger to allow for this. The closer to pure aluminum the more cold start up noise they make and the more they expand when heated.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

All bored and decked,  rods balanced,  crank polished. Just assembly then balanced with lightened fly wheel.   Then move onto the head

Probably wont be many pics of the process, but......

024.jpg

019.jpg

Edited by Farmer
  • Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hopefully getting a 80cu tank for my mig so I can start practicing.  Engine getting closer, just have to decide about what kind of head work I want done. New valves etc....

How have you liked your Eastwood 135? Have you had much time to use it?

I bought the 175 and initially had some feed issues with it. Not sure it was a breaking period or what, but it's been great since. Feed issues are almost non-existent.. and the welds are great! I've got it setup with .023 wire and gas. Don't a lot of misc shit with it.. and it's been fine. I set it up for sheet metal work.

What I need now is a welding table.. 

• Like 3