Rant

NOTHING pisses off a car-dude-guy more than ordering parts, waiting 3 days for them to arrive - only for them to be the wrong parts misboxed.

In my case, it was the right parts, in the right box. Only two of them were new, and the other two were CORES, that some how managed to be repackaged and sold to me.

Just my luck!

Also, screw you STANDARD for discontinuing Blue Streak.

Now everything will be Standard and T-series (previously TruTECH). Blue Streak is the new standard, standard is the new T-Series.

Why can't they just make one line of products and sell it for one fair price instead of splitting it up into 2 (previously 3) lines?

Also, B/A is now reboxing Well's products. And Airtex.

Kind of like how Champ and Casite and Hastings are all pretty much the same now, you can find any of them in a Well's box. Lol.

• Like 1
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Compitition is doing this.

Soemtimes its anything. I rememebr people would brag about NAPA being the best parts. Those days are done. you have to research this . I went to buy wheel bearing for the front of the 510. Mexico or China. Didnt offer japan ones. So I realy go there now.

least when I did buy parts from Mr Auto-parts.com it would say Japan on them before ordering

importedcatparts.com had this too if they still exist.

Rockauto.com could be anything unless its says specifically made in japan. But they were the last place I bought from.

I hear CARQUEST could be better if one is local to you

I too have been looking for some Bluestreak dizzy caps but havent tried too hard as I have about 4 at home so that mmight just last me a lifetime as I havent changed one on over 7 years.

people change them out to much it not needed esp if you got electronic ignition.

The red Aitex caps look alrite as I seen them listed for the dual point l16 510s

I got a trans gasket from autozone for my pathfinder. Package was right but gasket was for 4wd. Took it back and same problem with the other 3 they had in stock. For shits & giggles i checked the 4wd gasket they had & sure as shit it was the right one. Damn you autozone. Not sure about everywhere but in my town most of the idiots that work there don't know a b210 from a battery cable. They're worried more about gittin there her did

Well keep in mind that Autozone themselves don't box things up.

If it's Fel-Pro, then it's Fel-Pro's bad. If it's Dura-Last or Brakeware, usually it's just reboxed Beck/Arnley parts.

Same thing with Moog/Spicer. They are the same exact thing, you know. Some come with fancy blue polyurethane boots. But the joints themselves

are most likely Beck/Arnley - or some other brand, reboxed in Moog/Spicer boxes. That's the way it goes.

By all technical accounts, you cannot purchase a direct OEM replacement U-joint for a 510 sedan half-shaft. They use the closest matched part.

This is why aftermarket universals go out much quicker than OEM universal's. The driveshaft is a standard size.

If you don't believe me, go buy one from Nissan (SPENDY), and buy the closest aftermarket replacement. Mic them and you'll see the difference.

Also, the serviceable joints will wear out faster than non-serviceable joints. Backwards thinking, you'd think you can grease something and it will last longer.

From an engineering standpoint, that would seem correct. *buzzer* Wrong. The serviceable joints are made with loose clearances to allow new grease to take

up the slack during tune-up services. If a non-serviceable joint is packed with the right grease, which your best bet would be a high temp synthetic grease...

then it'll likely last forever if you don't beat it up. If the seals are in good shape - the grease isn't going anywhere. Just make sure they are packed well. :)

As far as carquest goes... no. I don't (prefer) to deal with name brand parts houses. I worked at a Jobber parts store, where things have legitimate

prices and aren't inflated. In addition, you don't have to deal with idiots without any prior parts background - a good parts house likely won't even

employ somebody unless they have at least some prior automotive experience. It's the sweetened deal.

Rockauto would be a great example of a Jobber parts store, only idiot-proofed and put online. They have very competitive prices, albeit you have to pay shipping.

But that's the compromise between dealing locally, and dealing with a semi-large corporate entity. I use RockAuto for things all the time.

Let's not forget www.courtesyparts.com <-- great for if you have a late model engine swap. Exploded views and everything, and they even have better prices than

the standard walk-in parts counter at your local dealership. Gotta love wholesale marketing!

BTW Fram sucks. ;)

I actually used to have good service with Carquest. The local one, I think the youngest person was their delivery driver (who happened to be one of the owner's daughters) but all the counter guys were at a minimum 50+, and knew their stuff. No ricer stuff, and they could get just about anything. Unfortunately Autozone built not one but TWO stores within a half-mile radius, and put them out of business since it enticed the Wal-Mart mentality crowd. Now I have to go to National to get my WIX filters for several dollars more.

As for finding core parts in new boxes, that's either lazy employees (putting returned cores back on the shelf instead of outgoing), dishonest employees stealing for their own use, or dishonest customers "returning" a part they "didn't need". I've several times seen a new or refurb part in a box that had one worn-out part inside the nice clean new assembly. Or gasket packages where one key gasket was gone. I can't tell you how many times I've found the wrong filters in a box- NAPA quit boxing their oil filters because people were putting NAPA Gold filters in the Silver boxes then taking them to the counter to buy.

What? What is this? All my NAPA filters have boxes. The only ones that don't have boxes are the multipacks, which are sold case quantity (12) to repair shops.

Hainz:

NAPA DOES carry Japan bearings. Look in the altrom line. Often times Koyo bearings or Nachi are available. Possibly not for the 510, but often times the more oddball bearings that were Japan only have made in Japan right on the SKF box. I've run into quite a few like that for Nissan/Datsun application. The cheaper line bearings are just that.

However, the better line SKF bearings can still be made in Mexico and have good quality. Look at the D21 pickups. Almost all of them were made in Mexico to Japan's standards.

I could go on and on here, but yes, sometimes customers or shops screw us and we return a part as new when in fact it isn't. Nature of the beast and dishonest people in general. Doesn't matter where you shop, it will happen.

I got a trans gasket from autozone for my pathfinder. Package was right but gasket was for 4wd. Took it back and same problem with the other 3 they had in stock. For shits & giggles i checked the 4wd gasket they had & sure as shit it was the right one. Damn you autozone. Not sure about everywhere but in my town most of the idiots that work there don't know a b210 from a battery cable. They're worried more about gittin there her did

Well keep in mind that Autozone themselves don't box things up.

If it's Fel-Pro, then it's Fel-Pro's bad. If it's Dura-Last or Brakeware, usually it's just reboxed Beck/Arnley parts.

^^He said it.

I've had problems with Autozone parts before being mis-boxed. I ordered a clutch disk for my 210 back in the day, and when I got it, the box and P/N were correct, but the disk was way off.

Had a customer complain yesterday about a starter that he ordered online that he received and found to be a core. Now, not ALL the time is it the distribution center/manufacturers problem. I have seen in my own store someone return a damaged part as un-damaged and send it to the DC, and then get recirculated. I usually keep an eye out for these, because it's not hard to do.

Also, there is no such company as ''Duralast.'' All of my Autozone parts are produced by the same brands that you would generally find in any other parts stores or online dealers. The manufacturer list goes from Dorman, Melling, Fenwick, Timken, Cardone, Dayco, Wells, Santech, Remy, Airtex, etc.

If anyone has any questions about who manufactures what parts that are re-boxed duralast, I have a whole list in my lap of all our current Manufacturers.

Nature of the beast and dishonest people in general. Doesn't matter where you shop, it will happen.

Couldn't have said it better myself HRH.

Edited by metalmonkey47

Gasket kit from NAPA notice anything missing?? Well i didn`t till i had already opened package,,angry.gif

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ176.jpg

Fuck Altrom and fuck NAPA had to order this front cover set and it took TWO days............Went to Schucks / O`reillys in Tumwater and it was on the shelf.

Oh, in case you can`t tell there`s no fucking oil pump gasket

And dont even get me started on the NEW alternator i had to replace 3 months after installing in my 280zxt

I only shop at Autozone and O`reillys for now...

Okay, I'm not laughing at you, but I've run into that before. Many, many timing cover sets do NOT include the oil pump gasket. Even the good Japanese KP gasket set you have pictured. I generally solve that by going and buying the oil pump gasket from Carquest because they still carry Beck Arnley, and they will sell it separately. Can't remember if the Fel-Pro set has the oil pump gasket in there.

If you ordered the set from me, I would have warned you about that! ;) (But then I'm a long ways from Tumwater.)

Well i rebuilt almost my whole car in two months from the parts i bought at those places , all wheel bearings, ALL new brakes, rubber hoses included, complete engine re-seal ,water pump, i must have 40+ receipts for those two places ..........and one (for that project ) from napa.

And not once did i have to ask if everthing i need as actually in the box.

I usualy like napa but had my wife get a thermostat gasket there it was generic multi use POS went to autozone got the right part for my car not 10 others and it was felpro to boot also they had bosh wires available oriely had POS wire I bought because I wanted them now then ordered the bosh from autozone the next day

No worries, it just depends on where you are and the people at that particular store. Also depends on if it's private NAPA or corporate NAPA. And yes, some shit we sell is just grossly overpriced. The last old man who came into my store asking about welding helmets, auto-darkening all that jazz, I told him to go to Harbor Freight. We sell damn near the same helmet, except ours is $300. :blink: I like money, but I'm not that big a dick. If the helmet was made in the USA, then I could argue quality. But it's not. It's the same China/Taiwan stuff HF sells, and I have one of their helmets. Up to shade 12 or 13, grind feature, double glass. It's nice and works well, and didn't cost an arm and a leg.

I do believe the Fel-Pro kit from napa has the oil pump gasket in it, as well as the water inlet (side of timing cover)

Altrom is missing both of those, but has fuel pump gaskets and thermostat gaskets which are not in the fel-pro...

I have a buddy who owns a shop & lets me use his account at napa when i need something so i luck out on the money part there. I just had have my pathfinder back on the road & napa didn't have one in stock. All i'm sayin is the people working at a store -whatever store that may be- need to know what the hell they're selling. I know autozone didn't package the gaskets but the idiot just told me "i don't know what you can do". Morons just piss me off

No worries, it just depends on where you are and the people at that particular store. Also depends on if it's private NAPA or corporate NAPA.

The Napa here in town is a private chain of about 6 stores in the surrounding local areas. They employ good, knowledgeable parts guys that have been in the business for 30+ years, and know their stuff. I give them all the business I can... but from what I hear, alot of people have issues with Napa stores elsewhere.. pity.

I know autozone didn't package the gaskets but the idiot just told me "i don't know what you can do". Morons just piss me off

Wrong answer. No parts store should EVER tell you that they don't know what you can do... the correct answer is ''let me see how I can help you.''

Thats why my Autozone is one of the most profitable in the district.