510 Battery

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

winter and summer driving? any autocross or aggresive driving? winter driving get one with the most cold cranking amps, autocross aggressive driving get a gel cell and pay the money... normal drving Costco is fine as is a low end canadain tire.

Lead went up threefold this year. Good batteries are expensive. If your 510 is a daily and worth it, buy a good battery, gel cell or something. If it's questionable how much time you'll spend fixing, get a cheaper lead acid regular battery. Just remember, you get what you pay for. Wal-Mart batteries suck.

AGM ftw.

Get Optima/Odyssey.

My 210 had a 34R red top Optima I got from work for $38 brand new. (Secret)

Now my yellow 620 has a yellow top 34 series in it that I payed $42 for twofinger_salute.gif

Keep in mind your batteries only as good as your connections. Spend $15 replacing both battery cables and you'll be very satisfied. Use di-electric grease and watch for any rust on your grounds.

Edited by metalmonkey47

a good batt is about 80-100 dollors.

Oh your in Canada(COLD) get a good battery!!!!!!!!

look for the most CCAs//red top Optimas SUCK. WhY if you let them die about 10 times then they dont hold a charge.

I have a yellow top in my Jeep but the buzzer keeps me from killing it. But its been good for the last 3 years. Starts vehicle everytime even after sitting.

Key is run a Volt gauge on so you can tell if your overcharging. It will leak out acid on the old style batteries.Ruin your paint . This is awhy I got a Optima but didnt last long

Funny you guys seem to be having issues with optimas. Maybe warranty it and get it replaced?

Hainz said his shit out after he let it die 10 times. Well what do you expect :lol: I just got my optima, so time will tell. Ill see how i feel about it after 4-5 years.

I run an Optima Yellow-Top. Have discharged it ONCE, left the dome light on for two days. Still had enough juice to crank the start *once* before she just clicked.

I'm sold, it fixed all sorts of battery issues. Oh and it doesn't piss acid all over everything, either. Just a little spendy is all.

"I buy my " Black Top " batteries used for $ 25. bucks from the junkyard . How do you Richie Richs like THAT!"

I could understand wanting a big CCA battery in a boat, with a big block Chevy engine, but how hard can it be to crank a four cylinder L engine?

Funny you guys seem to be having issues with optimas. Maybe warranty it and get it replaced?

Hainz said his shit out after he let it die 10 times. Well what do you expect :lol: I just got my optima, so time will tell. Ill see how i feel about it after 4-5 years.

2 red tops...never over 2 years on them....and thats WITH a battery tender.

You can actually run a pretty small battery in the Datsuns. I have a large motorcycle battery in my Z, and we have a small battery in the 510. The 510 unit is 495 CA's. The one in the Z is a Odyssey PC680, and literally half the size of the average car battery. Yet it cranks over the Z just fine every time. All to often I see people running these massive batteries in their 510's, which are designed to crank over a large SUV motors and V8's. There's NO reason to have such huge batteries in small cars like these. Any small car battery will crank over your 69' just fine.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/yellowdatsun/100_2393-2.jpg

Now try running 10.5:1 on that small battery on a nice cold day. That's where you see your CCA requirements start coming into play.

I actually moved up to a gear-reduction starter on my 510, along with the Optima Yellow-Top. Runs that, and additional electronics, and never had a problem.

Batteries were never my issue after I swapped to an IR atlernator setup and ditched the unreliable-as-hell external regulator setup I was running.

I think I went through 4 or 5 voltage regulators and 4 or 5 stock alternators. They'd just go bad at random. (Including at the top of Bunny Flat on Mt. Shasta back in 2003 or 2004...grr @ Napa.)

Even managed to run my original L16 out of oil for about 10 miles on the freeway. Voltage regulator failed, overvolted the battery - which started spewing furious amounts of acid,

which in turn ate up my entire engine bay, and totally disintigrated my nylon-tubing kit for my oil pressure gauge. Pumped her dry! She didn't even care... but that's what prompted me to upgrade

to the larger alternator, and battery setup.

Did it all at once and it was the best thing I ever did for my 510.

Reminds me of of a friends diesel rabbit. Friend was in the middle of an oil change, after draining came inside. Sister hops in and drives to seattle for the weekend and then back. Did the trip with no drain plug. When back, added the oil to the system, motor never had a problem for the next 15k miles that they owned it.

Reminds me of of a friends diesel rabbit. Friend was in the middle of an oil change, after draining came inside. Sister hops in and drives to seattle for the weekend and then back. Did the trip with no drain plug. When back, added the oil to the system, motor never had a problem for the next 15k miles that they owned it.

Probably lucked out and had enough varnish on the parts, and loose clearances that it didn't eat itself up.

Still would have beaten her on principle.

Thanks for all the advice guys... I am a bit less confused now.... :)

My 510 is a daily driver from around April till around this time because it is getting cold here overnight now. And sometimes in the morning is close to freezing 3C. I think that's 37F.

So I think I may need minimum 500CCA. I was considering an Optima, but maybe not now.

I think I may get one at Costco or go the JY route if I find a good one.