Not a Dat, but FREAKIN cool......'65 Renault Dauphine.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just F'n awesome! When i was looking for a classic I thought hard about a Dauphine. Always wondered what it would look like rodded up.

I think it is interesting that alot of us Datsun guys and gals have a taste for non-mainstream car design. Renault, crazy DKW cars, Subaru 360, volvo 1800es and Amazon, VW square backs, english ford stuff, some of the cab over trucks from the big 3. The list goes on and on.

But this this thing is freaking HOTTNESS!

143.jpg

137.jpg

Heavily mixed w/ VW drivetrain stuffs, but i'm diggin the lines.

-Brian

Okay, small world factors are playing in here. Had to finally register to to tell you all about it.

Here's a quick self-intro....

You know how it goes, once you have an interest in something, it really doesn't go away..... right? Well, I was into Datsuns back in the mid to late '80's and '90's. Started with an early 70's 620, then several 510s. The truck was cool for it's time and as soon as I can find and scan the pictures, yeah that's right "real" actual pictures, I will introduce myself and post some up. I don't have any Datsuns right now, but will work on finding one sometime this year.

I've been lurking for who knows how long now, and have gotten to know several people, and have really enjoyed the write-ups. I've been on another forum for my most recent car (wagon) and they are the same kind of cool / nice as this group. Not all groups have "cool people" in them and I can say that this seems to be one of them.

Anyways, here is the "small world" factor. Right next to (part of the same building) where this picture was taken is this shop: http://www.clearimageautomotive.com/

He builds exhaust related (and more) things for what I know as "B-Body" GM cars. Basically Chevy Caprice, Imapala SS, Buick Roamaster, and more. I was at his shop last summer for a barbecue/lunch/check out his new location and right next door is a VW shop (can't remember the name) that seemed pretty cool. A couple of us wandered over to see some way cool rides and some high-end work happening. There was one older bus they were finishing up that the owner was going to have a good 100k into by the time they were done, call me old, but that's some serious cash for ANY ride.

Anyway, this is a really cool Renault and the shop it is sitting out in front of is in Kent, WA not too far from Renton, and the shop had some pretty cool VW's when I looked around. Both in the shop and what the guys who worked there drive.

I've never had much interest in the more "common" cars/hot rods/custom cars & trucks, and I'm glad I don't because I'd rather most people not raise the poplularity of what I'm interested in. Hopefully I will have my own Datsun again this year.

Did anyone notice the wheels are held on with only 3 bolts? Saw a Fiat years ago like that. Thought this might have been an air cooled motor with the big grill out back. The electric fan beside the motor (looks like a heater box) is for that right? Or is there a rad hidden in there?

There is a radiator cap on an extended hose near the top of the engine compartment. None of the cylinders are finned, so it has to be liquid cooled. Note also the garden hose fuel line and it looks like the fuel cap is to the right of the big fan box. Pretty straight little rig, but it would take a lot of work to put it right, and I bet finding parts is a bitch.

Well, first off, welcome Mic. Keep us posted on that search for the ideal Ratsun. Any idea as to what you might want?

BTW, I like the spare tire holder on that ebay find.

Jester

Hey, thanks for the welcome.

I will probably be looking for a kc, or a longbed 620, wagons are cool. I've had enough 510s for now. Friends make fun of me for thinking I want factory A/C so bad, but it's rare and very handy at times. Air bags supplied by a A/C compressor would be my kind of fun. Know a guy who used a Chrysler compressor that looks like a little Harley engine. An 810 wagon and a longbed 620 would be a good combo for me. Whatever it may be will happen after some debt reduction.

Once I find my pictures (just moved) I will scan some and introduce myself.

Glad to see there are so many cool Datsun people in this region.

I think it is interesting that alot of us Datsun guys and gals have a taste for non-mainstream car design. Renault, crazy DKW cars, Subaru 360, volvo 1800es and Amazon, VW square backs, english ford stuff, some of the cab over trucks from the big 3. The list goes on and on.

well now we wanna be different granted parts are a b*ch to find btu tis fun who wants to be mainstream normal is vastly overrated