swapping a 620 into a 521

I got into a wreck in my 74 620 pickup

I ended up flipping it on its side and crushing all of the passenger side

It still drove home though without any complaints form the engine and no wabble from the steering wheel

Ive been looking for a cab to swap it out with, because the damage done is too extensive for bondo

is it possible to gut out a 620 and put it in a 521?

I have quite a bit of welding experience so fabricating something here and there wouldn't be a problem for me

http://us.mg3.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download?mid=1_202843_AK7FtEQAARLOTl1JZwciAk4TdAI&pid=1&fid=Inbox&inline=1

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got into a wreck in my 74 620 pickup

I ended up flipping it on its side and crushing all of the passenger side

It still drove home though without any complaints form the engine and no wabble from the steering wheel

Ive been looking for a cab to swap it out with, because the damage done is too extensive for bondo

I have quite a bit of welding experience so fabricating something here and there wouldn't be a problem for me

what if you limited on money?

but you have an unlimited amount of insanity and time? :P

Looks like you just found your way home.

Welcome.

Now what the fuck are you trying to do?

Since the 620 runs you need the 521 body on the 620 frame. I know the 620 fits the 720 frame but have my doubts it's as easy 521 onto 620. Like you said insanity and time can do wonders...

Started out...

truck4X4SASconversion.jpg

...ended up...

01070004-1.jpg

I'm better now..

My first truck was a 620 cab on a hardbody frame. I'd say 521 on 620 cab swap should be substantially easier than that was, because the frames are far more similar. My mom and I did that one over a summer with minimal fabrication experience and practically no mechanical experience.

Are you talking about putting a 521 cab onto a 620 frame with existing drive train, or something else like a 620 dash into a 521 cab?

Im either goint to attempt to put a 521 cab onto a 620 frame

or take all the mechanical parts out of my 620 and put it in a 521

I came on here for the advice on which would be easier

Im either goint to attempt to put a 521 cab onto a 620 frame

or take all the mechanical parts out of my 620 and put it in a 521

I came on here for the advice on which would be easier

My vote'd be 620 drivetrain into 521 chassis~ pretty much a "bolt-n-go" proposition, vs. R&R'ing body mulitple times to "measure twice, and cut (hopefully only) once". That method works well on 2x4's~ not body swaps....

Then, if you simply must flex your fabrication muscles, spend it on modding/replacing the 521's suicide steering column with a collapsible unit~ the life you save may be your own...

m2c's

Since the 620 runs you need the 521 body on the 620 frame. I know the 620 fits the 720 frame but have my doubts it's as easy 521 onto 620. Like you said insanity and time can do wonders...

Mike, did you register that as a 620, or a 720? Counted as what the body is, or what the frame/engine is?

Simplest thing is to swap the L18 from the 620 into the 521 and go. You can't swap the 620 tranny in without shortening the front driveshaft on the 521.

The wheelbase on the 521 is 96" the 620 is 100" so there is 4 extra inches between the front and rear tires if you swap the 521 body and box over onto the 620 frame.

I have seen way crazier swaps than this that got finished and worked great ...I say go for it .

Oh and while on this type of subject...Wayno .. Jay -Jay Snodgrass says to say hi.biggrin.gif

Ahhhh, the good ole days of hanggliding when it was a lot of fun. Hows JJ doing, I was at his place several years ago, but it's been a long time now. The older I get, the shorter/fewer the trips. :lol: Tell him I said hi, tell him I also said he should bring the fancy roadster to canby next year, drag it there with the special 521 built for just that purpose. How did you put him and me knowing each other together?

Simplest thing is to swap the L18 from the 620 into the 521 and go. You can't swap the 620 tranny in without shortening the front driveshaft on the 521.

The wheelbase on the 521 is 96" the 620 is 100" so there is 4 extra inches between the front and rear tires if you swap the 521 body and box over onto the 620 frame.

that much difference?? all other sources I have read says only about an 1" difference.

Ahhhh, the good ole days of hanggliding when it was a lot of fun. Hows JJ doing, I was at his place several years ago, but it's been a long time now. The older I get, the shorter/fewer the trips. :lol: Tell him I said hi, tell him I also said he should bring the fancy roadster to canby next year, drag it there with the special 521 built for just that purpose. How did you put him and me knowing each other together?

He was actually sitting at my kitchen table one day and i was telling him about your ute and how you installed hood scoop and he noticed your yellow Chevy and freaked out...laugh.giflaugh.gif

I tried to get him to come to Canby but he was short on funds .He has been flying quite a bit more lately to take his mind off things.

I am going to force him ( if i have to burn his house down ) to get him to Canby next year.

And his wife sold off almost all his cars before she ran off .... Including THE roadster ( the one that won all those SCCA championships) ....Along with the other 200 Datsuns in his yard sad.gif

All he has now are his 411 and his green 520

and the 302 powered 521 which he has repainted with crazy tribal flames