Motorcycle EFI

HRH

Just curious if anyone has tried using a motorcycle EFI system on their L or other Datsun motors? I'm thinking a mc junkyard system might be cheaper than a standalone from one of the big names, besides the cheapness of megasquirts.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

R1 carbs are known to be flexible, using the same jets/needles as a Weber.

Adjust/tune as needed.

Someone who blew their motor up, should have known better.

EFI/throttle bodies should be smart enough to know it's lean. (MAF/MAP/O2 sensors.)

The thought of R1 carbs are very interesting...

But very tempted to know more about EFI motorcycle carbs.

Sounds legit. Reliable.

I got a used MS off craigslist for 100 bucks. Hard to beat that price. Get the CL app for your phone, that way you get all the good deals.

my trick is RSS feeds of them. If you do any search on CL there is an RSS icon in the bottom right, right click that and copy the link location, and paste that into google reader or whatever rss reader you prefer. I've got like 30 different cl searches in a folder so whenever i log on to check google reader i can see if anything i might like is new on cl :P

Granted, a motorcycle system would have much smaller parameters, but if the computer is tuneable, all you'd have to do is multiply that by a conversion factor for larger displacement to get a baseline. I don't know if it would work, but it seems to me all the computers do is compute. You give them values for the particular motor and bigger injectors/airflow, then it should work exactly the same, but with less issues due to being simpler.

Why would you go through the trouble of using a MC system, when the Nissan efi systems are known to work extremely well? You'd have to do a TON of work to get an MC system to work right, since it's designed for an engine that's HALF the displacement of a regular L20b........if it can even be done at all. Usually you can tune an efi system, but doubling the displacement is probably not easily do-able. Then there's the whole thing about making the timing work with the Nissan motor, how is that going to work? You'll still need to find a way to trigger the crank sensor, which could easily be impossible.

What about the crank sensor? I don't understand the timing argument? It doesn't work the same as like an EDIS setup from a Ford on a MC?

Really I'm not bent on using a MC system, just wondering if anyone has. It may not be cost effective at all, but thought I'd ask.

I have no idea how the timing is triggered on the MC style system you're thinking about, but even between the EFI systems on cars it can be difficult to swap systems because of the different ways they trigger the injectors and timing. IE: the 280ZX N/A uses a different system than the 280ZX turbo, and the late 280ZX turbo's are different too, and none interchangeable. One uses a regular dizzy that doesn't regulate the EFI, the other uses a sensor on the crank, and the last uses a sensor in the dizzy. So even between cars, I can't just throw a Toyota timing system into a Nissan and expect it to run the EFI properly, and above that you can't easily swap parts within the Nissan family. So that's why I'm assuming it would be nearly impossible to throw something from a motorcycle into a car.

There are millions of different RPM generating systems, some very complex that need to be decoded. Along with the decoding there are 3 types of sensors, hall effect, variable reluctance, and optical. Then they all count different amounts of trigger points per RPM. Gets confusing. MS is just nice because someone has done everything so information is out there. It's tough to find but out there. Just do it man! It's fun once you get into it. I want to work on my MS car some more.