How Many Miles....

My '78 510 wagon has over 305,000 miles on it. Original bottom end, it has had a head gasket, timing chain, and valve job but the head, cam, and rockers are original. My '68 520 has something like 383,000 miles on it, but it's been through a couple engines, transmissions, and rear ends.

Everything else, there's no good documentation. The '80s Datsuns have odometers that rear up to a tenth shy of a million miles so they're useable, but the 60s and 70s ones I don't know how many times they've rolled other than the 2 mentioned above which have paperwork. I do know that my Daily Driver '76 KC had approx. 135,000 when I got it in Oct 2009, and it now has 178,000. Or, over 43,000 miles in under 2 years.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will bite.

My 71 510 had ~380K documented with dates and such when the odometer rolled over. I believe it hit the 300K mile mark in 92, not sure. I know it was parked some time in the mid 90's about 80K miles later.

Judging that through the winter season (2009-2010) starting in November til February, I put on 28,000 miles on my car. I've had it since I was 16, and I'm nearly 25 now. I'm too lazy to do the math but I figure that since I drive much more often during the summer time, I'd say my 510 has close to half a million miles on it. On the new L20b, I'd say close to 100K or so, give or take. I don't have a functional odometer, just my GPS which keeps track pretty well for me. Oh, it's also my speedo =D

Keep in mind, I learned how to drive, screw around, break shit - and destroy tires, dirt roads.... learned how to get air in a car, learned how to drift, do rockford's and drag race. So these are HEAVILY abusive miles, up until the last couple of years or so. I've tamed it down considerably from my prior self. I was a dick to my 510!

But half a million miles in a car is a lot of miles. I was impressed then, I'm impressed now, and I'll be impressed later. I hope that at some point I hit the 1 million mile mark :D

69 wagon. Owner said he put 200k on the original engine, and in 1994 put in a crate L18. Then put another 200k on that. So according to him, its just over 400k I believe it to! The guides were completely shot along with every gasket on that l18...

620 reads 23k, but the speedo's not hooked up.

The motor thats in my car now had around 230k when I bought it in 1986,(it was a sedan back then) I drove it for about 3 years, sold it to a buddy of mine....he drove it for about 3 years, parked it around 91 or 92 then gave it to me in 2005. So, lets see carry the one...add the..ah hell I don't know, prolly alot :P ;)