• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

U have a garage??????????????

If not then all bets OFF!!!!!!!!!!!

Unibody!!!!!!!!!

1uz????????

get a L motor done first and see if you can handle that. If you have all L motor sparts already less than a weekend if you know what your doing and have NO money!!!!!!!!

^this.

Your doing a 1uz swap with not even enough cash to buy an automatic transmission from a junk yard? I did the same thing but for a 510 with L series engine, and I just barely got it running a year later.

I don't know what kind of experience you have, but being 15 I really doubt you can do this. Can you even drive yet? And you want a 1uz in a 2000lb non-reinforced chassis? I don't wanna sound like a dick, but come on man. Its not gonna happen.

There are plenty of great engines that wont rip the chassis in half! A great example is this thread, in short this will most likely happen to a non reinforced chassis with a stupidly powerful engine... This is an extreme example, of course.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/34751-why-ford-is-better-than-chevy/

I don't want to put you down or say you cannot do anything, but I really want you to understand what you are proposing before you realize how hopeless it is with no budget.

IMO just spend the money on a cheap L series and motor, drop it in and get it running, get the experience of working on a SIMPLE engine that is easy to learn on. I just did this, and I could not be more happy with the result!

^this.

Your doing a 1uz swap with not even enough cash to buy an automatic transmission from a junk yard? I did the same thing but for a 510 with L series engine, and I just barely got it running a year later.

I don't know what kind of experience you have, but being 15 I really doubt you can do this. Can you even drive yet? And you want a 1uz in a 2000lb non-reinforced chassis? I don't wanna sound like a dick, but come on man. Its not gonna happen.

There are plenty of great engines that wont rip the chassis in half! A great example is this thread, in short this will most likely happen to a non reinforced chassis with a stupidly powerful engine... This is an extreme example, of course.

http://community.rat...ter-than-chevy/

I don't want to put you down or say you cannot do anything, but I really want you to understand what you are proposing before you realize how hopeless it is with no budget.

IMO just spend the money on a cheap L series and motor, drop it in and get it running, get the experience of working on a SIMPLE engine that is easy to learn on. I just did this, and I could not be more happy with the result!

I can see what you are saying for sure! my reasoning was that the engine would be about as powerful as a well boosted KA, weighing about the same, but naturally aspirited, as the 1uz is (stock) around 260 HP and weighs around 400 lbs.

I agree that if I boosted the 1uz up to like 500 horsepower It would tear the 510 to bits but I'm leaving it completely stock,

I dont see how that would rip my car apart, am I missing something?

I can see what you are saying for sure! my reasoning was that the engine would be about as powerful as a well boosted KA, weighing about the same, but naturally aspirited, as the 1uz is (stock) around 260 HP and weighs around 400 lbs.

I agree that if I boosted the 1uz up to like 500 horsepower It would tear the 510 to bits but I'm leaving it completely stock,

I dont see how that would rip my car apart, am I missing something?

Not literally, I'm talking complete imbalance of power, handling, braking, ect. The skill and fab work required for the swap, ect. I just really want you to know what you are going into. A powerful engine does not mean anything if nothing else is up to the same performance level.

If you have the budget and cash to build up this car, reinforce it with a good suspension setup, differential, ect then it will be a very very quick car, but if you do not then you will end up with a completely unusable car that wont be fun to drive.

I don't want to discourage the swap as it would be very cool, but I really just doubt how much skill, knowledge and experience you have! I'm not saying I have it, I'm saying its a long hard learning process!

I have messed around with a toyota 7MGE, just doing the headgasket its several times more complex than the Datsun L motor, I hate to see what a 1uz is like diving in with no experience. As long as you understand that, sure go ahead and try - but if you do not have anyone to help you that has the knowledge a fuel injected motor like that is going to be a complete pain.

thats good advice, I agree.

this build will take a long time, I understand that, and Im not guaranteeing that I will even finish it. its just something to have fun with, since i am interested in cars and have nothing better

to save and spend on.

I will need to make sure all of the components I use will tolerate the engine etc, and I there are many issues I havent completely solved, but I am

still optimistic that it is possible.

I will update as soon as I get back from california, as a couple of old teachers who build classic cars have offered to bring a hoist and stand over for the engine.

thanks for the advice!

I think you're getting some good advice here re: the cost of the project. If you want to take it slow and build as you have money, then you're on the right track, but I'd keep in mind most of these projects take 2 to 3 times the money you think they will by the time you're finished buying all the tools and bits and pieces you need.

As far as a 260 crank hp (approx 220 wheel hp) ripping the chassis apart?? Give this little breadbox a little more credit than that...

thats good advice, I agree.

this build will take a long time, I understand that, and Im not guaranteeing that I will even finish it. its just something to have fun with, since i am interested in cars and have nothing better

to save and spend on.

I will need to make sure all of the components I use will tolerate the engine etc, and I there are many issues I havent completely solved, but I am

still optimistic that it is possible.

I will update as soon as I get back from california, as a couple of old teachers who build classic cars have offered to bring a hoist and stand over for the engine.

thanks for the advice!

I'm sorry...this statement right there tells me your in over your head and should NOT start this. With age come knowledge.

I would really agree with the other guys that you get a nice L series in there and just learn/enjoy the car. At 15 there is just soooo much to learn. L's can be FUN!!! Esp a build L20b. MORE then enough power to get in trouble and still learn some stuff.

OK well if you think you can do it, go ahead and try. But I just want you to know you wont be driving it for a while!!

I think you're getting some good advice here re: the cost of the project. If you want to take it slow and build as you have money, then you're on the right track, but I'd keep in mind most of these projects take 2 to 3 times the money you think they will by the time you're finished buying all the tools and bits and pieces you need.

As far as a 260 crank hp (approx 220 wheel hp) ripping the chassis apart?? Give this little breadbox a little more credit than that...

I thought the 1uz outputted more than that... mellow.gif Yeah it was a little bit of a hasty comment.

I was taking more about some 400hp v8 going through a stock diff.

If your not even sure if you will even FINISH the project, why cut up a good car that will have no future to anyone else? Cause you need something to do? GIVE ME A BREAK. Go buy a dodge colt and put a hemi in it.

Ollz Jester, You weren't kidding about not being afraid to give people shit were you? I would have been nicer and just said " It seems you're asking advice and still going your own way here I liked the idea of building up an l20 a bit, and getting the feel of the car, and having LOTS of fun driving it, while you build a monster that there's step by step instructions for ( Like sr20det ) more and more as you're driving it, and money permits to take its place when it burns up, or you just can't wait any longer. You don't want to cut the unibody and add big weight and horsepower on a practically undocumented project that may or may not ever get done do you? " Just wonder if I'd get listened to at all either. I've seen people that know more than me get ignored. I believe this will be my last post on this thread.

Is this just a test to see if people pay attention? cuz I do. Or did you mean thread?

Oh shit, I meant thread. I'm waaaaaaaaay too addicted to ratsun to just drop it like that :). Especially after how many pics of my truck are in blue lake.

thanks for the information guys, Im going to quit posting here for a bit, as progress is slow, and there are better sources of information on my chosen swap.

a mod can close or delete the thread if they want, Im done with it.

when I finish my project, I will post a summary of my build here, if possible, to aid those who may want to do the same swap in the future, but for now I think Im done posting updates.

thanks!

thanks for the information guys, Im going to quit posting here for a bit, as progress is slow, and there are better sources of information on my chosen swap.

a mod can close or delete the thread if they want, Im done with it.

when I finish my project, I will post a summary of my build here, if possible, to aid those who may want to do the same swap in the future, but for now I think Im done posting updates.

thanks!

umad bro?

We're simply stating the flaws with the ideas and information your posting, you are acting like you are leaving because you don't like what you hear.

Cars are hard. We are just saying start with something simple. Do what you will, but pay attention to our advice. Sure we'd love to see this completed, but it is very unlikely it will be done right.

I'd love to see this swap completed but I think it would have terribly slow progress, though I think I saw somene razzing another about how long thier build was taking. I understand about wanting more power and stepping outside the box, but why not go for a well documented swap as your first project.

You will have to fabricate engine mounts, transmission mounts, etc...

sit down and reread what everyone has said take some of it with a grain of salt, others with a spoonfull of sugar.

this car is lost already.another 510 gone.

just forget about it.potherwise youll stress yourself over it.

see the pattern, no money, I didnt think of that? ect.....

X2 Too bad some people just can't take CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM for what it is. Poor car. I'll fly my Datsun flag half mass today. bye.gif