kid builds 510

B25

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya'll are bros. thanks a bunch.

Im still working on the parents for the engine, and if anyone is trying to get rid of a KA24 for cheap hit me up for sure.

Welcome to RATSUN, enjoy your stay.

Being 15 and not knowing your driving skills, I would go with a L20 first, you can have a lot of fun with a L20 while you get to know how to drive your car. You can find them cheap $200, 300 400ish + or - depending on condition. You will learn a lot working on a L-series Before getting over whelmed with a conversion. And all the L20 stuff you can sell later if you have to have to KA or maybe a VG30? Anyway the best thing about 510's is you can do pretty much whatever you want to them...time and $ permitting.....:D

My 1st car was a 2dr...in 1986,,,,,sold my last wagon in 1994-95 Just picked up these 2 I have last year....Wish I still had all my others...:(

the akebono's are stock which makes me feel pretty silly..

I plan on getting the car running (not neccessarily driving) before I work out the brakes and suspension, anyway.

I am working on some guys with KA24DE's, and for some reason some of the truck guys have theirs at over a grand, which seems crazy to me.

anyway, if I just cant get a KA i will settle for an L20, but I wont go down without a fight.

Im keeping my wiring harness as well, even if it is broken in a few places and completely mystifying as to installation.

thanks!

so, since my last comment I have visited the wrecking yards, and formulated a new idea.

you guys will most likely tell me not to do this, but I am pretty interested in the idea, unless there is some HUGE problem with it.

1uzfe.

I have seen conversions of the 1uz into s14 240sx's, which means all I have to do is convert the 1uz to fit into a 240 mount-wise, and then convert it's 240 conversion to fit in my 510.

It has been done to a couple 510's as well, but in those conversions the mounts were modified and the engine was lowered significantly into the car.

I know there are thousands of other potential issues, but I mean, if Im working on almost no budget anyway, and I can get a 1uz for cheaper than a KA, and I have just as much experience with either engine(none),

i think I might as well go big or go home.

what do you guys think?

I would be using one of the oldest 1uz's from the lexus ls400.

If you have no experience jumping into an uncommon swap is a bad idea. If your looking to learn something, try a common swap like a KA or stick with an L motor. If you try something crazy you will have no one here to get advice from when you get stumped and no experience to look back on either. A motor swap is a whole lot more than welding up some motor mounts. We want to see you driving this thing, not see it on craigslist in 6 months in pieces, it happens ALL THE TIME.

I just looked up that motor, a toyota V-8?!?! are you crazy? what trans would you use? how would you wire it up? you would probably have to hack the trans tunnel, fire wall... imo BAD idea for a first timer, get some experience first man.

Edited by hobbes_the_cat

so, since my last comment I have visited the wrecking yards, and formulated a new idea.

you guys will most likely tell me not to do this, but I am pretty interested in the idea, unless there is some HUGE problem with it.

1uzfe.

I have seen conversions of the 1uz into s14 240sx's, which means all I have to do is convert the 1uz to fit into a 240 mount-wise, and then convert it's 240 conversion to fit in my 510.

It has been done to a couple 510's as well, but in those conversions the mounts were modified and the engine was lowered significantly into the car.

I know there are thousands of other potential issues, but I mean, if Im working on almost no budget anyway, and I can get a 1uz for cheaper than a KA, and I have just as much experience with either engine(none),

i think I might as well go big or go home.

what do you guys think?

I would be using one of the oldest 1uz's from the lexus ls400.

so what you want to to do is put a Toyota V8 in there. it's totally doable, really anything is but it's going to be a boatload of time and money. not only that but i would think that the shear torque (what torque :P) From that engine would call for reinforcement for most of the Drivetrain, just to be safe. Have you noticed that the 240sx engine bay is alot bigger? i'm not steering you from what you want to do, all i ask is you reconsider before going ahead with your plans. i know you're only thinking about it in the long run but if you want alot of work, do it. like i've said before, i'm also 16, one thing that helps is knowing your limitations and skills, lots of fabricating will be necessary. and wiring, you don't necessarily have to know how a ECU works either to install a modern engine into a older car, but it helps for the wiring part.

again, not trying to stomp on your dreams or whatever

normally, I would totally agree, but in this case, I was figuring that the swap had been done to enough 240's and the like that I could basically combine info from those swaps.

and also, its my car, and I want it to be special, which isnt a great reason, but to make it less philosophical, Im not driving this thing for awhile anyway, and if

it doesnt work, whatever, I will sell the 1uz for a different engine.

I agree, it isnt a great idea, but I would like to give it a go, and I will most definitely not give up, if the v8 swap really couldn't end up working I would probably just sell the engine for a KA or L20.

stats:

1uz weighs 390 lbs, where as the KA weighs around 370-390 lbs depending on who you talk to.

with an adapter that I have the resources to make, a 240sx 5 speed will bolt onto a 1uz

the 1uz will fit in the engine bay.

I haven't made final plans on the 1uz! but it is definitely something Im seriously thinking about right now.

@ Dat510, yeah I will make sure to consider that stuff if I go with the 1uz, and feel free to stomp on my dreams, sometimes they need stomping.

Im not taking this project as seriously as like, a dream or a lifelong goal, its just something to have fun with, as my money isnt better spent elsewhere at the moment.

@ Dat510, yeah I will make sure to consider that stuff if I go with the 1uz, and feel free to stomp on my dreams, sometimes they need stomping.

Im not taking this project as seriously as like, a dream or a lifelong goal, its just something to have fun with, as my money isnt better spent elsewhere at the moment.

Yeah, i'm dreaming about the VK monster in my car :D

I think your asking for trouble. Your going to hack the crap out of that car to put an engine that is WAAAAYYY too big for the engine bay or the rest of the chassis. By the time your done cutting the crap out of it to make it fit, then decide to go BACK to a four cyl, or V6, it will be so butchered, it will end up in the next trip to Snitzers.

Seriously bro, just start with an L20B and 5 speed. There is ssooooooo much you can do with them it will make your head spin.

I havent decided on anything yet!

I have looked at Vg30E's too. they are pretty awesome.

I dont know what Im going to do, but I will let you guys know when I decide. feel free to keep the data coming.

you can also carb these engines. as long as they are the single cam ones. i suggest you look at THIS thread and get a taste of some "simple" wiring. lol