kid builds 510

B25

How about finding a 510 with a v8 conversion that was never finished and going from there? I bet there are great deals out there. Contact the 510keeper, he could probably help you out there. Or even for other parts needed. Get this car running first, there are guys giving away L motors to get them out. Then go and plan your dream conversion. It sounds like your budget is already limited, jester has a great point.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you ever driven a 510? They are fun cars to drive. You should put in a l motor to get it running and drive it and enjoy it and sort out all the other bugs that are gonna come up. Get it on the road first and collect parts to do an engine swap. Motor swaps can be a little over welming if you don't have much experience,there's alot of Fab work involved. Get it running and build the car around the motor that you plan on swaping in eventually

ok, update:

I dont have pics yet, I will take them in the light tomorrow!

there is enough rust and damage in the almost-stripped-of-important-parts car to warrant us just taking off the body and painting it separately.

we only had time to remove the doors and take other bits and bobs out of the interior, tomorrow we will be removing the body from the crossmembers, frame and suspension.

I wouldnt even bother with this, except the car desperately needs rust-removal and repainting, and I might as well do SOMETHING while I decide on an engine to go with.

if anyone has advice on separating the body from the frame and suspension, it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

yes sand blasting would still work. the ideal way would be to use a vehicle rotisserie, but that is only if you are gonna do a full blown restore. The suspension components can be removed from underneath though, for that I would suggest haveing a dolly set up that is strong and stable enough to support the body after removing the suspension.

sweet deal, so did you sand blast the body or strip it? looks pretty smooth! keep it up!

no sandblasting :(

I stripped the areas where the paint was obviously in decline and then I gave it an intense sanding and primed it up.

doesnt look half bad for a first coat of primer.

thanks!

question!

would you guys reccomend just bolting the new floor pans in?

do I really need to weld?

if so, is there some kind of cheap welder I could buy from Harbor freight or elsewhere that would get the job done?

thanks!!

Unreal work so far. I really wish i had the time/ space to work on my 720 soon hopefully!

thanks man!

yeah space was an issue for me as well until I got super lucky and got the garage right next door to my house. I just had to clean 6 years of decay out of it, and some other unexpecteds (owl carcasse, etc.)

anyway, thats my story, good luck with your 720

So, your one of those guys who asks for advice and then says "I'll show them"? Good luck. Let me know when your done hacking the hell out of that poor Datsun. Maybe we can save some of the parts before it sits in the background of that pic.

So, your one of those guys who asks for advice and then says "I'll show them"? Good luck. Let me know when your done hacking the hell out of that poor Datsun. Maybe we can save some of the parts before it sits in the background of that pic.

thanks for the vote of confidence, you'll be the first to know if I have extra parts.