FABRICATION FAIL THREAD

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No one noticed the duct tape on the coil overs?

largedu.jpg

That duct tape isn't a fail, see the SCCA decals on the car? The duct tape is a common practice on race cars, when your in a hurry noone has time to fiddle with hex keys and crap. Racers set the coil spring collar and then duct tape it in place for the race, as they'll be moving it again for the next race adjustment.

silverr32044.jpg

shockingshock.jpg

here's the video of that truck failing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCfgx_krIo0&feature=player_embedded

its funny how the builders had there hands in their pockets looking like complete reetards, an how simple there mistake was not putting the extra tabs on the side of the coilovers. its a good thing it wasn't in the street driving hitting a speed bump

That's like finding out the weight limit of a bridge by driving heavier and heavier trucks over it until it collapses. Then rebuilding the bridge with a sign listing the maximum weight allowed as the weight of last truck to get across safely.

• Like 1

That's like finding out the weight limit of a bridge by driving heavier and heavier trucks over it until it collapses. Then rebuilding the bridge with a sign listing the maximum weight allowed as the weight of last truck to get across safely.

we did this in my neighborhood, the 30'000 pound gravel truck finally broke it. so the new weight limit should be 29,500 pounds.

not a fab fail, but a driver fail

IMGP1278.jpg

who the fuck does a single shear joint like that? that blows my mind..

especially for a coilover mount...

throwing money at stuff doesnt fix a shitty design..

datsun does that single shear design on every 510 frt control arm Z cars too leverage points are different and encased in rubber bushings. that truck is 10 million lbs and also sitting on what looks like grade 5 bolts.

datsun does that single shear design on every 510 frt control arm Z cars too leverage points are different and encased in rubber bushings. that truck is 10 million lbs and also sitting on what looks like grade 5 bolts.

What? Datsun does this? on the front? Where? :confused: The strut takes all the load, save for some side loading. Different system entirely.

Although, to answer the question of who does this, EVERY 510er who installs rear coilovers!

True, but then that's proven to be okay for use because it's still supported by the trailing arm, just held onto the trailing arm with a bolt. That suspension on the truck, the bolt was the holding point, that's it. It took me a while to see it past all the bling factor.

who the fuck does a single shear joint like that? that blows my mind..

especially for a coilover mount...

throwing money at stuff doesnt fix a shitty design..

Money can't fix stupid. :)

True, but then that's proven to be okay for use because it's still supported by the trailing arm, just held onto the trailing arm with a bolt. That suspension on the truck, the bolt was the holding point, that's it. It took me a while to see it past all the bling factor.

So essentially, one big bump, and the whole suspension is coming down?

Have you not seen the pictures of when it fails? The trailing arm tends to break, not the bolt. You need to reinforce it to be safe.

And forget the duct tape, what's up with the 8 million hole rotor on that SCCA car?! WTF, cracks anyone?

Well if that car is used for solo2 only it's no big deal. the brakes never get that hot in solo2. Shit if your a decent driver it will only take you 50-70 seconds to do a run. Then you go back and wait until your next run.

Open track day it's not going to happen. The rotor will shatter after 20 min or so of hard driving.

I've drilled the hell out a set of rotors for a guy that runs solo2 and he is one of the fastest in the country.