WA State Rear Bumper Laws??

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in '73 my folks bought their 620 with no bumper, but that was fairly uncommon. The dealer wanted them to buy one, and my Dad had to insist over and over they were NOT buying the "dealer option" bumper (they bought every other option though, and even had the dealer change out interiors because they didn't like beige door panels in a green truck). Some folks back then claimed the dealers made them sign a waiver saying they'd get their own bumper, as it was required equipment (but there was no "factory" bumpers except for the bumperettes that didn't meet US standards by then).

In the late 80s my Mom was looking at Mazda B-series trucks (we got suckered in by a local dealer "Port Sale" which wasn't real. The idea was you could get a screaming deal on a car that hadn't been detailed or cleaned-up post shipping, trucks didn't have the bumpers installed yet, etc, saving the "dealer prep" fee. Got to the lot, there were no such unprepped vehicles. She didn't buy). Base model B-series didn't have a bumper, but the dealership insisted it was required but it was "extra cost". You COULD sign a waiver stating that you were going to have an aftermarket bumper installed, and released the dealership for liability of not having a rear bumper installed at delivery.

What I did notice was that the B-series trucks had little rubber fillers in the factory rollpan where the bumper bracket goes. That was the "As Delivered" setup. If one was to leave it that way, it's abslutely stock, but if you went and had an aftermarket rollpan that was smooth and had no rubber fillers, it LOOKS like you eliminated the factory bumper. So, during budget crunch time the traffic enforcement officers look at anything to pull you over for. If one out of 5 drivers just pay the fine rather than fighting it, it's money in the coffers.

Our state has some of the most idiotic traffic laws. The way the mudflap RCW is written, 90% of the cars on our highways are illegal.

They just give the cops (who aren't even required to know the laws they enforce) a reason to pull over anyone they want, not that they need a reason anymore...they can just make one up. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

IN-correct.This would be nation-wide.In other words-FEDERAL.

OK so "SOMEONE" deleted my post...

The bumper law is federal, most states have their own laws that Trump the federal laws like pot, abortion, gay marriage laws etc.....

Never been pulled over by the FBI before! :unsure:

Round here, in my area, there are different laws for collector, custom, and fair weather vehicles...

Find out what the STATE and local laws are in your area! ;)

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

Sorry for the bump on a necro-thread here...but I was hoping for some further clarification (can you tell what happened to me this weekend? ;-) ).  Being a WA resident - does anyone have documentation that shows bumpers were not factory installed?

This was also posted earlier - http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=204-10-022

"(6) Bumpers: A motor vehicle must be equipped with a bumper on both the front and rear of the vehicle with the exception of motor vehicles where the original or predominant body configuration, provided by a recognized manufacturer, did not include such bumper or bumpers in the design of the vehicle. For the relevant model year, bumpers must accommodate recognized manufacturer impact absorption systems pursuant to applicable SAE Bumper Standards or equivalent standards.

Bumpers are optional equipment on vehicles defined as street rod vehicles, custom vehicles and kit vehicles.
Bumpers, unless specifically exempted above, must:
(a) Be at least four and one-half inches in vertical height.
( B) Be centered on the vehicle's centerline.
© Extend no less than the width of the respective wheel track distances.
(d) Be attached to the vehicle in a manner equivalent to the original manufacturer's installation.
(e) Be horizontal load bearing and attach to the vehicle frame to effectively transfer energy when impacted.

"...

Not a lawyer here - but that seems to imply that if the factory didn't design one for it - it isn't necessary.  Which seems to make sense with the 620 because on the vintage advertisements I have seen (from the dealer) they don't have bumpers in the rear.

This might be a moot point because there are exemptions for "custom vehicles".  According to this link:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.04.161

""Custom vehicle" means any motor vehicle that:

(1) Is at least thirty years old and of a model year after 1948 or was manufactured to resemble a vehicle at least thirty years old and of a model year after 1948; and

(2) Has alterations to one or more of the major component parts listed in RCW 46.80.010 that change the appearance or performance of the vehicle from the original manufacturer's design or has a body constructed from nonoriginal materials."

So in the case of my 1977 Datsun, it is over 30 years old and I have altered the vehicle in both performance (Custom upper control arms, ball joints (instead of king-pins) and front disk brakes -  and design from the original manufacturer (lowering).  So I wonder if this allows me to call this a custom vehicle?  Wish I was a lawyer....(never thought I would say that).

EDIT:  I should add to that at least here in WA you can't just weld a piece of steel and call it a bumper - there were also a lot of rules around what a "bumper is".  Just an FYI.

The 620 was delivered without a rear bumper. These were installed by the dealer to avoid some kind of import tax. They came with bumpers. Some were the bumperette style as used on the older 521s.

The way the RCWs have read to me, you have to have your vehicle inspected and registered as a custom vehicle in order to have the custom RCW apply. I have thought about doing this for my 4x4, but it seems like a large hassle.  

620's were never imported with a rear bumper in the US. There were some dealers that added bumpers, but they are not original equipment. You can get bumperettes, but they were never sold here with the 620.

The way that law was written most bumpers are not legal, including the 620 front bumper, as they are not as the law states.

(a) Be at least four and one-half inches in vertical height.

If you were written a ticket for no rear bumper on your 620 then the officer is incorrect and the ticket should be thrown out. They were never sold in with a rear bumper and most trucks were not sold with rear bumpers up until the late 80's early 90's.

Remember, most cops don't know most of the laws they are paid to enforce and don't know what most of the vehicles on the road are. Unfortunately it's up to you to prove your innocence and educate them.

If you were written a ticket for no rear bumper on your 620 then the officer is incorrect and the ticket should be thrown out. They were never sold in with a rear bumper and most trucks were not sold with rear bumpers up until the late 80's early 90's.

Remember, most cops don't know most of the laws they are paid to enforce and don't know what most of the vehicles on the road are. Unfortunately it's up to you to prove your innocence and educate them.

I actually used that argument to not get the ticket.  The officer informed me that I needed a rear bumper - I informed the officer that he was wrong (I have work on doing that more nicely next time) and that the RCW said if it was installed from the factory I needed it - since these weren't I didn't.  I also added that 620s with bumpers were either dealer installed options or owner additions.

What a pain having to tell a cop that I am in-fact following the law.

EDIT:  Good to know about the "custom vehicle" inspection.   Definitely not worth the headache.

Ya, educating law enforcement on the law is really a pain in the ass. They tend to think they know what they are talking about, especially when they don't. Out of the many, I've only had one apologize for wasting my time and thank me for clarifying the code for him. I was in shock...

Doesn't help that most of our vehicles (Datsuns) were built before most of these RCW's existed and most of the RCW's are outdated now considering new cars don't have "bumpers" :lol:

I have those damn shoulder belts in Art, the ones i think NO 510 guy has ever really used, and had a cop pull me over telling me i had to use them, told him nope, they were installed by me and not dot complient, only there for looks, this car only came with lap belts and all i legally need to have.   Stuff just gets annoying, same when i keep getting pulled over in oregon for no front plate, because i have collectors plates. 

Carry the " custom vehicle" RCW as written in your glove box point out that taking the bumper off was a performance enhancement in itself.. Andrew man paint the truck NOT primer black it will help not getting pulled over for a meth-check.

I have never been pulled over in any of my bumper free, loud-ass rat-job cars or trucks,, but i had a 64 galaxie 2door that was really clean, quiet, and hell it was even painted nice and those miserable bastards pulled me over all the time.

• Like 1

I have "some" experience in the arena, but i doubt it is going to be very helpful. I own a 1971 Ford F-250 4x4 (also referred to as a "high boy"). I can tell you that this truck did NOT have a rear bumper on the lot. I know this because my Father bought it brand new in November of 1970. But, that sort of thing has been covered here.

My problem started with fuckin mud flaps. My truck is the same height (probably lower now) than it came from the factory. I was pulled over for not having mud flaps. I politely informed the cop that this truck did not come factory with mud flaps. He then informed me that my truck did NOT come sitting as high as it sits from the factory. I told him it did and told him the short little story about how it was bought new by my Father and has not been changed. He then said (and I quote) "lying to me is not going to help you here, because I am not stupid". Well, we clearly disagree on that last part, but I just kept my cool and took the ticket.

I showed up to court prepared for a big battle with a bunch of factory Ford measurements, the old dude my Father bought the truck from and so on. Well, I did not even get to see the judge, the clerk was going to handle this one. In other words, it was just a given that I was going to put mud flaps on my truck, show the clerk and be on my way.

I was asked if I "fixed" my truck, I replied with my truck does not need fixing, you should not have to modify a vehicle that is still in stock, factory form. I was then read the law by the clerk (which I already read) which states that if the bottom of the truck is 27 plus inches from the ground, then it is required to have mud flaps. The car dealer I brought with me said "wait just a minute there" and asked the clerk to follow him into the parking lot. He dug a tape measure out of his car, walked over to one of the county patrol trucks and measured it to be above the required height for mud flaps (which none of them had).

I then had to wait several hours, because the judge needed to be involved in this and he was far from thrilled about it. I presented him with all I had, my argument toward it and so on. He agreed to toss it out. Cool...I win right? WRONG. I became the target of every fuckin cop in town for EVERYTHING. Seriously, if a week went by where I did not get pulled over for some made up horse shit, it was amazing. Not coming to a complete stop (when I did) not signaling (when I did), headlights too high off the ground (on a factory rig), this list is so mind numbing long and pathetic. They never wrote me a ticket of course, because that would be proof of harassment, no they would just pull me over, ask to search the vehicle, check to make sure my horn, blinkers, e-brake and other things were all working. It was their way of bullying me and letting me know they are right, even when they are wrong.

Back then, I was young and they were gonna have to send me to the chair before I put mud flaps on my pickup and I never did. Since my testosterone level has dropped, these days, I would have probably just put mud flaps on it, BUT, since I am now "old", I think I would need a dead body strapped to my hood to be pulled over.

The sad fact is...many cops don't even know laws and will just fill in the blanks as they see fit at the time. If you show that you may know something more than them, keep in mind what type of person 80% of people who join the force are. Very insecure, probably got beat up a lot in high school and do NOT like to have anything they say or do questioned in the least bit. Many times they are not "just doing their job" unless being a harassing asshole is actually written in the job description. If they get a hard on for you over some little thing like you arguing over a bumper (even though you are right) they will most likely try to make your life miserable, much the same as if you smart mouthed the school bully and made the other kids laugh at him. He will shit in your lunch box.

• Like 1

Carry the " custom vehicle" RCW as written in your glove box point out that taking the bumper off was a performance enhancement in itself.. Andrew man paint the truck NOT primer black it will help not getting pulled over for a meth-check.

I have never been pulled over in any of my bumper free, loud-ass rat-job cars or trucks,, but i had a 64 galaxie 2door that was really clean, quiet, and hell it was even painted nice and those miserable bastards pulled me over all the time.

Haha...so true.  I have been threatening to rattle-can it a different color (thinking bright blue or white).  Finding a place to do it has been difficult.  I am also lazy and don't want to scuff the car, prime it and rattle can it.

Complete change of subject - My Dad looked at my truck the day the cop was giving me a hard time and said I need to lower the rear more - got I love that man.