Woohoo! New Engine!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Talked the guy down from $200 to $100. It's supposedly a race engine. It's going to go into my 510. If the header and oil pan somehow manage to fit, they are staying on, but chances are they will be up for grabs.

How hard would it be to swap the head? I have an A87 on my blown engine and this one has a Wsomethingorother. I've never done any real work on an engine before and I have no money so as it stands right now it's just a thought.

I'm gonna clean it up and drop it in. Can't wait to drive the 510 again.

'75-'78 L20B. After market fuel pump. Three of the fan blades are broken (or cut off) better fix that. The truck header and oil pan may not fit the car.

Just noticed that looks like a '77 or older carb. Also that long valve cover pipe may have been used with a catch can if 'raced'.

How hard would it be to swap the head? I have an A87 on my blown engine and this one has a Wsomethingorother. I've never done any real work on an engine before and I have no money so as it stands right now it's just a thought.

May not want to bother. If it's a W53, then it has the same ports and valves as the A87. However, if it's the W58, then it's the round port smog head.

AFAIK, should be just remove & replace. Clean all mating surfaces and make sure those bolts are good. On second thought, you may want to spring for new ARP head bolts to get nice, fresh accurate torque. Who knows how stretched the old bolts are... :eek:

Of course, I defer to those who've actually done this drill. :D

If you have no money......don't even bother thinking about a head swap for now. Put the motor in and run it 'til you have the $'s or a reason to change it. Besides...you may "create" a problem when you do the swap and you won't know if it's a prob that came with the motor or one you created. If it's a "race" engine...maybe it already has a cam in it. That was pretty much the only thing "race" about the last "race" engine I got. :)

I'm not worried about you guys asking me for parts. From what I know and what I've been told the header and oil pan will not fit the 510 :( I really do like the look of the 4-1 headers and the big ass oil pan would be nice for a couple reasons.

I hope to have it on a stand by next week and I'll begin cleaning it up and swapping whatever parts I need to swap in order to make it fit into the 510. After I figure out what I can keep and what I can't you guys'll be the first to know.

it should drop in as is.:cool:

the pan is designed to fit behind the x-member

the header? maybe...

if it fits as is that'd be freaking sweet.

here's a quesiton for you guys tho, does anybody know the thread size on the block where the transmission bolts up? I got a buddy to lend me an engine stand, and I need to pick up some bolts to mount it.

That looks like a Nissan Comp oil pan, as well as a Nissan Comp header. Both should fit in your 510, although the header can be a bit of a tight fit. Thats a really good score for $100, cause that header and oil pan are worth much more than that. If you pull the pan see if it is baffled, that would be a definitive way to see if it actually is a comp pan. My guess is this was an IT (improved touring) motor at some point.