Really Ratty Rusty Ruby Ruined & Rotting RIP

It's one hell of a project!

Indy, you should clean the metal better before you tack it. The weld will sit better. Also, it looks like you need a bit more heat. Which is hard to determine on datsun sheet metal. It's thickness changes by the inch in any direction :) Also it helps to keep the heat towards the thicker of the two metals you are bonding. Not that I'm a real welder, just things I've picked up along the way.

What he said. :lol:

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Indy, you should clean the metal better before you tack it. The weld will sit better. Also, it looks like you need a bit more heat. Which is hard to determine on datsun sheet metal. It's thickness changes by the inch in any direction smile.gif Also it helps to keep the heat towards the thicker of the two metals you are bonding.

I ran out of gas half way through those tack welds,, , everything was alligned ,,, , so I had to do a few tacks with no gas and solid wire

I got the Miller 140 w/ auto set about 8 months ago, , , with this project in mind ... . . . .. but I'm really glad I spent 8 months and a bottle of gas practicing

I want to get a mini sandblaster for cleaning everything once it's tacked together ,, , ,, any old paint or contaminate just ruins the weld,, mmm red smoke