engine swap

If any of this does become a reality, dont get attached to the car. You will probably wreck it. Fact of the matter is, most kids hit something with their first car, I did. But it did teach me something; think before you hit the gas pedal, and mercedes benz cars can hit trees and then drive on the freeway just fine.

My younger sister who has no lead foot, flipped her car. Just about everyone I know has done something they wish they never had in their first car. Dont let this happen to a Datsun. Im now on car number 3&4 and doing pretty well, havent hit anything on my accord (no not honda).

Keep the Datsun, and keep it as a project, a after school thing for a couple of years. Drive something else that the world can let go of like a 90s toyota tercel or corolla.

my parents wont let me drive are titan or cts v coupe in a million years

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They won't let you drive they're newer, heavier, safer, well insured cars but they'll put you in a 250hp soup can? Dude, your parents are dicks.

yhea, im not going to put an sr20det motor in the car instead a L20b motor and trans what do you think thats what some else old me to do it will be a little faster and safe

Dammit noob! Don't post a second thread near identical to the first thread. And yes, you can put an L20B in your 110, but note that you will need custom motor mount brackets, trans crossmember and a few other odds and ends to do it.

Why not stick with the A motor, and get the biggest displacement you can? (A15 I think?) Rebuild that, it'll run great and won't overload the drivetrain.

At the risk of adding further confusion. Do some research on an A16 and A17. They are based on the A15 but have been built with larger pistons and/or different crankshaft. The parts and custom machining are certainly cheaper than an SR swap. And unlike an L20b -- it's still a bolt-in. Keep in mind that every part you modify is likely to affect 3 more. Each of those 3 will affect 3...and so on. My advise is to keep it simple. You never answered the first time I asked; have you even driven this car in stock form yet? We're still waiting on pics...

You will need more than just the engine and trans. Mounts, cross members, beefier differential and drive shaft, bigger brakes, etc etc. Sticking to an A series is best for you, as you obviously don't know much about datsuns or fab work. Not being rude, that's just how it is.

i suggest not even upgrading to a larger A, drive it the way it is for a year, then decide what you want to do with it. reading your posts i get an image of a rusting 1200 sitting in a field with a12 in the back seat.

i`ve thnk i might go with a L20 motor and 5 speed trans instead of a sr20det

yhea did some reasheach and talked to a guy at a car show abuot what i should do and he said go with a L20 motor and 5 speed trans out of a sunny truck

i`ve told him that i dont want a sr20 det motor i want to put a L20 in it now because its cheaper and its easy ,still need a little fab work

yhea, im not going to put an sr20det motor in the car instead a L20b motor and trans what do you think thats what some else old me to do it will be a little faster and safe

Why another post about this? I'm moving it over to the old one.

my parents wont let me drive are titan or cts v coupe in a million years

Yea, didn't say anything about driving your parents car... more of driving a different car for your first year. Like go get a car on craigslist for sub $2k. My Thunderbird was $1800, drove well, easy to maintain, 28mpg freeway. Problem was I didnt do research before buying, and bought it at 82k miles. Well the motor was notorious for blowing the headgasket at anywhere from 60-90k miles. Yea mine blew the gasket. Im just saying, get a new(and probably therefor safer) car to drive for awhile, and work on the datsun. The worst thing is driving the datsun and trying to work on it when it is your DD.

At the risk of adding further confusion. Do some research on an A16 and A17. They are based on the A15 but have been built with larger pistons and/or different crankshaft. The parts and custom machining are certainly cheaper than an SR swap. And unlike an L20b -- it's still a bolt-in. Keep in mind that every part you modify is likely to affect 3 more. Each of those 3 will affect 3...and so on. My advise is to keep it simple. You never answered the first time I asked; have you even driven this car in stock form yet? We're still waiting on pics...

no i have not driven it in stock form my dad bought it while i was out of town and tour everything out of the car be for we could drive it.

You and your dad both need to be slapped in the face.

But I guess it really isn't your fault.

Chalk this one up to poor education and whatever the fuck is wrong with your dad.

If dad is trying to relive the glory days of yesteryear-I'd hate to see the deathtraps he was rollin. Really.

• Like 1

as much as i hate to say it, have faith in this guy. maybe he will pull this thing off without fucking up everything. if he does though, i don't think a single member on this forum is gonna like it.