engine swap

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no reason that you should be put behind the wheel of an SR powered anything at your age. You lack the experience and discipline to drive such a light car with so much power. Even people that have as many years under their belt driving as you have even been alive, even they occasionally end up in a situation where they lose control of their cars and wreck them. I would figure your life expectancy would drop tremendously if you were to go through with that build. The 1200 wasn't built with safety in mind. It was built for economy. It's small, light, and made of thin metal. No crumple zones, no airbags. All it takes is one bad decision, and your life, or worse, the lives of others are put in jeopardy.

Enjoy the car. It's a great little car. If you can't go fast, who really cares? It's a classic, and anybody who would look down on you for not getting down at the next red light is a douchebag anyway. I've never had a Datsun with anything more than an L-series engine, and it's been plenty; it's kept me out of trouble and kept my Datsuns in one piece.

Am I saying that swapping a more powerful engine into a Datsun is wrong? Hell no. I plan on doing a KA swap in mine at some point. However, I'd seriously think about the motives behind it. Is it because of your ego? Is it because you want to race people on the street? Is it because you want a fast car? Is it because you want something more efficient? Is it because you're actually trying to make your car safer and more reliable?

If you can't drive a Datsun and be happy with it for what it is, then you don't respect the car enough to be worthy of having it.

• Like 4

True that! ^

Case in point, when Brett drug the 510 to my house, it had a bent rear control arm and an original L16 with Hitachi carb and no brakes. When I first got it running, I didn't care about the no brakes, so I drove it around the block anyway. After spending some time fixing it, I was still rocking the leaky L16 because it ran and I was building the L20 that is currently in it. That took about 6 months or so to build on a budget mind you. I went as big as I could afford at the time, and the end result it quite pleasing.

Little by little things started getting replaced, and about 3 years later, it was fuel injected and all the drivetrain was replaced. So now it's still a $500 car looks-wise, but is very mechanically sound and brakes and accelerates very quickly. With only a 400cc bigger motor than was originally in it.

Would I like jaw-dropping power? Of course! But you'll find anything with a massive power to weight ratio is a bitch to handle on the street. Usually they aren't all that fun to drive either because it's like a big on-off switch. Kind of like driving a 10 second dragster around. They're meant to go fast, that's it. And one little extra throttle input with 250 hp in a 1800 pound car (guessing weight here) will most assuredly send the ass end into a light post in no time flat.

I got into plenty of almost shit situations with just a leaky L16 and a locked rear end.

510beginning.jpg

Well even so, it's probably not the best crumple zones. They do fairly well in a crash, but I'm sure a new KIA would be somewhat safer.

Agreed, 16 year olds generally can't handle the power. My roomate was 18 and crashed my 5.0 liter. I only let him drive it once.

A good swap 16 year old would be an A15, it'll wake up the little 1200.

When I was 15, I got my license (love Idaho!) and my first truck ever was a 1976 Ford Courier. (Mazda 1800cc pickup) With good gearing, the thing would do 95 mph. I kept it floored on all the dirt roads going around my house, almost ended up in duck ponds, high-center, jumped it over berms, etc. All with probably 60 hp. And that truck was one of the most fun I've ever owned. I love my Datsuns, but I'll never forget how many near death experiences I had in it! Funny enough, my friends tell a lot of stories about the first time they rode with me in that truck! :D Good times. Glad I didn't have more horsepower or I probably wouldn't be alive.

I can second what HRH just said. My first car when I was 16 was an '80 210 with an A12A. Thinking back now on all the demented shit I tried to make that car do -- I'm convinced that the lack of power actually kept me from vaporizing myself.

I can third that! I'm only eighteen (few months of 19) and even now I can honestly look back and say wow I didn't know shit about anything when I was 16 and still only know a tiny bit now about anything. First engine of chioce would have been a ka24/l20b destroked engine with itbs and turbo. Did I have all the parts? Yes. Could I have done this? Thoretically yes but truth betold absolutely no way. I could mock one up but there were so many flaws I just abandoned it. Sr20det is way to much power for this car or your age. Just cause you saw "7 second sr powered 1200" on youtube does not mean you can make that happen. Go pick up an a14. Rebuilt as a race engine for circle track with zero miles for sale local to me less than 500 bucks. Know a guy who does it on the cheap and they wake up nicely. I have a stock a14 in a b210 and it goes way faster than I need it to. Build it for handling and stopping slow cars become fast and fun if they can take the curves. I used to drive 70 mph or gravel logging roads and have had a ton of close calls. Cars kill you fast. Like real dead real fast. I know this doesn't matter to you now but it will click one day. If not I hear there is a website specifically for ridiculous build threads

hondatech

and sell me your car cause I'd love a 1200. Personally I would put a porsche 911 engine in the trunk and use 2 kyacks for front tires so when my car broke the land speed record I could get nautical world records too!

...I would put a porsche 911 engine in the trunk and use 2 kyacks for front tires so when my car broke the land speed record I could get nautical world records too!

:rofl: :rofl:

(The girlfriend and I are both cracking up over that one)

True that! ^

Case in point, when Brett drug the 510 to my house, it had a bent rear control arm and an original L16 with Hitachi carb and no brakes. When I first got it running, I didn't care about the no brakes, so I drove it around the block anyway. After spending some time fixing it, I was still rocking the leaky L16 because it ran and I was building the L20 that is currently in it. That took about 6 months or so to build on a budget mind you. I went as big as I could afford at the time, and the end result it quite pleasing.

Little by little things started getting replaced, and about 3 years later, it was fuel injected and all the drivetrain was replaced. So now it's still a $500 car looks-wise, but is very mechanically sound and brakes and accelerates very quickly. With only a 400cc bigger motor than was originally in it.

Would I like jaw-dropping power? Of course! But you'll find anything with a massive power to weight ratio is a bitch to handle on the street. Usually they aren't all that fun to drive either because it's like a big on-off switch. Kind of like driving a 10 second dragster around. They're meant to go fast, that's it. And one little extra throttle input with 250 hp in a 1800 pound car (guessing weight here) will most assuredly send the ass end into a light post in no time flat.

I got into plenty of almost shit situations with just a leaky L16 and a locked rear end.

510beginning.jpg

i`ve thnk i might go with a L20 motor and 5 speed trans instead of a sr20det

He hasn't said much lately. Hopefully he's doing some of that research that was suggested. I'd still like to see how the car actually ends up. An intro? maybe a build thread?

yhea did some reasheach and talked to a guy at a car show abuot what i should do and he said go with a L20 motor and 5 speed trans out of a sunny truck

you're 16, just get it working. it'd be awesome to have a SR20 in the 1200, but ask yourself , will i be responsible?

my dad the one hu wants it to be fast he told me its like reliving his high school years the car runs and drives had to spend 2 weeks on the cluch to just to drive it to my friends shop

my dad the one hu wants it to be fast he told me its like reliving his high school years the car runs and drives had to spend 2 weeks on the cluch to just to drive it to my friends shop

And you want to do a swap it will not run for along time due to your swap time. I remember when I had my first Honda crx, I wanted a acura integra gsr motor in it. Had almost every. Part but it took like 4 yrs. And with in those 4 yrs the car just kept going downhill. In the long run sold the car and the engine and recoupe a - 500 dollars..And 4 years wasted... Soo in the long run stck with your engine. Add some in and out's to your little 1200. And you will fall in love with your car. You can not build up a race car when it is your daily driver

Your dad wants to relive high school?

Did they even have SR20's when your dad was in school?

WTF am I missing here? What are you missing?

I seriously think you and/or your dad will kill yourselves with a DET equipped car.

• Like 1

your dad is, the One Hu? now im impressed