521/S13 Hybrid Build

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what got powdercoated the frame....it looks like a epoxy [rimer much like i have use don several projects ... it will be fine... any knowledgeable shop should be able to work withthat and if not send it up to me i would gladly helpouton this project but u might just get my stock frame back all skin and non ifs/irs....hehehehehe

sick ride will be sweet

Thanks guys. And the frame is still bare metal. It was sandblasted and then dragged into the fabrication shop.

As soon as im all done with the body fitment, its getting torn down (coilovers, arms, subframe) and sent back out for another sandblasting and some black powdercoating.

• 4 weeks later...

Updates you want? Here ya go:

With the frame and body home, I got the KA24DE and 5spd assembled and ready for placement

2012-01-03124241.jpg

2012-01-03124226.jpg

Pulled the bed & motor back off the frame, and (with some inginuity) set the cab onto the frame. (the things we have to do when working alone)

2012-01-07131502.jpg

There was no way to drop the front end over the shock towers, so i cut the front nose off of the cab to that i could measure and trim back the fender wells as needed

I then put the motor & trans back in

2012-01-08154314.jpg

Quickly realized that i was not going to be able to use the motor mounts on the crossmember.

1) the firewall would have to be cut back to fit the motor and trans bellhousing.

2) the shifter was end up under the bench seat.

So with a little more measuring i dropped steering rack and pitched the motor forward 4"

2012-01-08154305.jpg

I will need to create new motor mounts off the frame, but the KA now clears the firewall and the shifter sits perfectly in front of the bench seat.

NO modifications required!!!

2012-01-08154322.jpg

2012-01-08154330.jpg

For the time being, i made a few brackets that allow me to mount up the motor. They space the motor forward exactly the 4" needed

2012-01-08154254.jpg

I have since trimmed up the front clip, and now working on fitting the radiator/fan assembly. The fan sits too close to the motor and will require a little modification to fit in place.

More to come!

Frickin savage man. this project shows lots of creativity and problem solving. I like! I know EXACTLY whay you mean about using enginuity while workin alone. My setup has been consisting of the 6"x6" beam holding my 80 year old barn up, tie-down straps (not ratchet), a 2x4, house speaker jack stands, firewood, etc. keep up the good work!

I'm really loving this build! The rear suspension looks amazing. The only thing that worries me are the strut towers, i'm no engineer but they don't look like they will withstand much abuse. If i had to guess i'd say the base where the three tubes all mount in pretty much a strait line is gonna be a weak point. I mean no offense.. Does anybody agree? maybe i just worry a lot.