521/S13 Hybrid Build

I'm really loving this build! The rear suspension looks amazing. The only thing that worries me are the strut towers, i'm no engineer but they don't look like they will withstand much abuse. If i had to guess i'd say the base where the three tubes all mount in pretty much a strait line is gonna be a weak point. I mean no offense.. Does anybody agree? maybe i just worry a lot.

I thought the same thing. But i think beefeing up the base and top might strengthen it. But i am also no engineer.

Curious why u went that route with the front suspension?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The pictures do the front strut towers no real justice. They are "beefy" and very solid. I have alot of confidence in them, and will put it out on the track to give it a true test.

And i went with this design to stay true to the whole "S13" hybrid. Complete suspension, drivetrain, interior, etc . . . all from the S13 platform. It also takes the guess work out of what fits when deciding on suspension upgrades, adjustable arms, etc . . .

very cool build

The pictures do the front strut towers no real justice. They are "beefy" and very solid. I have alot of confidence in them, and will put it out on the track to give it a true test.

And i went with this design to stay true to the whole "S13" hybrid. Complete suspension, drivetrain, interior, etc . . . all from the S13 platform. It also takes the guess work out of what fits when deciding on suspension upgrades, adjustable arms, etc . . .

as long as you leave the upper tie bar in the plans, no worries. for ultimate overkill tie it into the firewall when the body is mounted.... of course it'll make the back half of the chassis a wet noodle in comparison

f5d70ab5.jpg

Right on! Well that makes sense.

1326830492[/url]' post='614182']

f5d70ab5.jpg

Sorry to hijack a bit but I really like the strut towers and was curious how feasible this would be with a stock 521 suspension. Threading the struts through the UCAs and ditching the torsion bars. I would build the towers from bent 1.75" round tube.

Great build btw.

Couple more pics of front clip.

2012-01-13150927.jpg

2012-01-13150940.jpg

Inside fenderwells will get all new sheetmetal for a nice clean finish.

2012-01-13150952.jpg

As you can see, its gonna take a little massaging to get the rad to clear the motor

2012-01-13150916.jpg

Starting to look like a truck again!

I was wondering 5th picture down is your master cylinder for the clutch going to clear your new strut support and also the shifter do you have to notch the bench seat to clear shift throws toward the seat.awesome though

I had just removed the clutch master cylinder before these pics. It clears. I was even able to remove it with the cab/strut towers in place.

And i will most likely notch the bench seat. Ill cut a section from the front part of the frame and insert a 4" U shape to go around the shifter.

The bench will be completely stripped down anyway, so that i can then have the upholstery shop mold the S13 rear seat foam into it.

Yeah, i like the whole look of the low back bench anyway.

And when i gutted the donor S13, i realized just how cool and comfortable the back seats are (when the front seats are out of it - LOL)

If i was going to install bucket seats it would have been a set from an S14. Way more comfortable. And the S-chassis seats sit very low, so they would prob work well. But im set on a race bench.

This build is freakin awesome! What are your plans for weight over the rear end? Being that you 've moved the engine forward more its gonna take even more weight off the already light rear end. I've got a Twin Cam in my 77 620 and boy is it a beast if its even a little wet or if i take a turn a little to fast. Talk about instant drift! Do you plan on using some ballast weights?

Well, i have a 15gallon fuel cell that i plan to install just behind the rear differential. Low, centered and as far back as it will fit.

And the rear subframe helps add some weight of course. And the battery, fuse box, harnesses, fuel pump, etc . . . will all be mounted back behind the cab as well.

I may still warrant ballast weights in the rear as well. In my old toyota pickup (slammed), i had installed a 4"x4"x48" solid cold rolled steal bar between the frame rails (basically where a tow hitch mounts. That helped smooth out the ride quality and im sure helped plant the rear. Might be a good idea to do something similar on the Datsun.

• 2 weeks later...

Electrical! Ugh.

So, to stay true to the S13 Hybrid, im using it all!!! And that includes the 6miles of electrical that i pulled from the fastback!

My plan is to keep the S13 Cluster & Steering Column Controls all in tact. And to do so, ive taken the 4 harnesses from the S13 and stripped them all down.

2012-02-01162542.jpg

After pulling the harnesses apart, ive gone through and weeded out all of the unnecessary wiring, relays and fuses. Tracing each wire back to the fuse box. Eliminating the heater/ac controls, automatic transmission, cruise control, stereo, defrosters, etc . . .

2012-02-09082139.jpg

Then after i pulled out everyhing that was no longer required, i layed out the harnesses to determine what needed to be routed where.

My plan is to keep the engine bay free of any visible wiring. And so all of the fuse boxes and ECU will be stored up under the dash.

This required that i pulled out all of the wiring related wires (headlights, turnsignals, corner markers) that needed to be routed up front.

2012-02-09082156.jpg

And the same for the rear. (brakelights, turn signals, reverse lights, fuel pump, etc . . )

2012-02-09082210.jpg

The engine management harness is already fed from the cab, so that is not an issue. But the Fuel Injection, starter, transmission related stuff used to connect directly to the fuse box in the engine bay. Now that its in the cab, these wires will need to be extended. BUT, they will also be tightly wrapped and punched through the firewall behind the motor for limited visibility.

Progress. Though slow and painfull, im making progress!

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Some progress from last weekend:

Stripped down subframe and sanded and prepped everything for paint.

Frame will be finished in a Satin Black

2012-08-23101532.jpg

Subrame was degreased, prepped and painted in a Gloss Black

2012-08-23101521.jpg

Infinity J30 VLSD installed after a fresh coat of Satin Black and the diff cover finished in a Metallic Gold (the accent color for the build)

2012-08-23141615.jpg

2012-08-23141628.jpg

New 5-lug hubs and cross-drilled / slotted brakes just arrived yesterday. And i finished degreasing and painting the axles.

Soon on order will be a full set of Stance USA rear Tracking, Toe and Camber arms

Next to tackle is wiring! Ive got to figure out how to route and tuck all of this 240sx wiring. I intent to have this all plug-n-play using the whole harness, ecu and cluster from the donor car.

More to come!