521/S13 Hybrid Build

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished the frame. Now all Satin Black. Installed brand new 5-lug hubs, new cross-drilled slotted rotors are on, and just waiting for reman calipers to arrive.

Decided to also change my color schema for the motor. Stripped it down and refinished the block & timing cover in Gloss Black. And the intake manifold, PS pump and accessories are now all Satin Black. Alt & PS Bracket i painted in Gold (accent color) and will most likely paint the valve color Black w/Gold Metallic Flake.

Tranmission will need to be refinished in satin black, and the steering rack is gonna be refinished in Gold Metallic.

2012-09-03145930.jpg

Then im gonna mount it back in, and start to figure out a Trans Mount, and then measurements for a driveshaft.

Then ill wrap up this portion to continue work on the cab. Cutting, shaving and prepping it for paint/body.

Finished up the motor and trans. Valve cover is all thats left, and it will get painted when i paint the truck.

2012-09-04164133.jpg

Gloss Black, Satin Black and Gold Accents. Love it!

And the transmission looks 1000x better in flat black

2012-09-04164144.jpg

Gonna finish up the steering rack, figure out a trans mount, and then on to the cab!

• 2 months later...

This is too crazy, that rusty 521 you found sitting in the parking lot under a cover is my old truck.

Thats pretty much exactly how the trick was when i got rid of it. I did all the bodywork n bodydrop etc. I had almost the same plan as you but i was going to go either ka24det or sr20, mustang II front suspension and narrowed s13 in the rear. My wife at the time blew the 3rd engine in her freshly painted b2200 so i took her truck since it was so clean and fresh Outta the paint shop, got her a civic and 5-lugged and put an sr20det and 5speed in the b2200. Now i have a fully built s14 with a ka24det and was researching/searching for a datsun(screw smogging crap in california) to receive the s14 drivetrain/suspension and i stumbled across this build thread.

I had to join here just to tell you what an incredible job you are doing with the truck and how glad i am that its getting finished. I thought it was part of a new camry by now. Keep up the great work.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great build man! have you thought of using the transmission from a nissan hardbody? Same gearing except for 5th, shifter is approx. 7" shorter, and shorter throw in the shifter. just an idea.

Wasnt aware that the hardbody trans was shorter.  That 7" would help me with the clearance on the bench seat.   So ill definintely be looking into this!  Thanks.

i just went n read the entire thread, and saw you used a different cab etc etc. regardless, great build n happy to see something being done with a part of my old project.

Yeah, im just too damn tall for the body drop that was done to that cab.  And when i came up on the other two, i was able to nab a very clean and rust free cab for the build.   But thanks for readin through and commenting.

I am still here!  havent and wont give up on the build.  Just been very busy with a new job, then a kitchen remodel, then picked up an Audi S4 that i had to mod all crazy . . . . now im back to the 521 Build.

Not much progress from before.   Ive managed to install the radiator and fan, shortened the S13 steering column so now it sits properly, and but up an aftermarket intake to get it to route properly in the small engine bay.

2013-04-22100330_zps23a380bc.jpg

I freshened up a set of Infinity BBS wheels and mounted new tires to get an idea of how she will sit.

2013-04-08192638_zpsa185821e.jpg

2013-04-08190631_zps2d575055.jpg

And I also mocked up the grille, headlights, mirrors, etc  . . .cause i was tired of looking at a shell for months on end!

2013-04-22192250_zpsac88d137.jpg

Yeah, im just too damn tall for the body drop that was done to that cab.  And when i came up on the other two, i was able to nab a very clean and rust free cab for the build.   But thanks for readin through and commenting.

I'm just wondering, When did the term used from the 40s to the 70s, channel, become body drop, anyone know? I love the mockup pic, looks great!

I'm just wondering, When did the term used from the 40s to the 70s, channel, become body drop, anyone know? I love the mockup pic, looks great!

the term channeling was used earlier than the 40s and body drop came in the 80s

the term channeling was used earlier than the 40s and body drop came in the 80s

I thought it came along when the big hot rod era after WWII happened, but what do I know, I was only born in 49?

My 2 of my uncles born in the mid 20s had a channeled 28 Model A in the mid/late 30s in Ontario Canada to say the least, well away from the early automotive modification mecca known as Southern California. I remember years ago they showed me some old black and white photos of it. Not sure if channeling was a choice or as a a matter of fixing the rust which resulted in a channeled Model A from minimal repair knowledge or what.. They did use the term channel to describe the A.

sorry for the hijacking

Hahaha, love the topic.

I do happen to have the pleasure of working in the Hot Rod - Classic Restoration genre, and they definitely still refer to it as "channeled".   I just recall the use of "Body Dropped" to be widely used with the 80's mini truck scene, and still a fairly common term today.

Just so you know, you have seriously inspired me to do this to my 620.  So much that I have a 240sx coupe shell sitting in my driveway!!!  I have gone over this build SEVERAL times too.  Kudo's to you brother!!  Just curious though, what spring rate did you use for the rear?  I've been checking Summit Racings website for coilovers and I'm not sure what spring rate to use.  My plan is to obtain another frame and do all the suspension/frame work to that one then just do a body swap.  I even have a spare motor and trans to use as mock up.

Oh yeah one other question if you don't mind.  What are you doing/using for steering?  obviously your using the rack and pinion but what about the steering column?  Have you tackled that part yet?

Im using 650# spring in the rear, and the suspension is still pretty soft.   Im hoping that its NOT too soft, once the fuel cell is mounted and the full of gas - we will just have to see.

And im using the 240sx steering column as well.  I just needed to shorten the last section of the spline shaft to get it to work.  Ive only got it "mocked" up right now, but will get some pics once ive got it mounted permanently.  Along with pics of where i cut the shaft.

The biggest issue is that i had to move the motor forward on the cross members, so im going to have to notch the bottom of the trans bellhousing to allow for the hardlines to clear.  Shouldnt be too much of an issue tho.   Ill be sure to get detailed pics of these things as i get to them.

Glad to hear this has inspired you.  Would love to see your build!