what oil do you use for your datsun?

what oil do you use?im changing my engine oil this week..and am gonna buy the oil that is most commenly used with u guys..first car.so i dont have a "certain oil" i only buy yet..lol.

or you can just tell me what i should use on my 720?whatever is easiest..

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Going into warmer weather it depends on how hot you expect it to get before the next oil change.10W30 will likely do maybe 20W40 or even 20W50. All oils have to meet minimum standards so any will do but you can't go wrong with a name brand. Lately oils have seen a reduction in in anti scuff additives like ZDDP. This is because today's cars use roller rockers and catalytic converters that are damaged by this additive. To protect our older cams and rockers try to find oils with this additive. Some special oils still have it in them or you can buy it and add to your oil. Diesel oil is still high in ZDDP but diesel oil is highly detergent and may clean your motor too well and remove carbon from around the rings that is actually helping preserve compression.

the only oil i ever put in any motor is castrol gtx if the motor has over 100k i run castrol gtx high mileage its a synthetic blend and the typical weight i use is 10w30

Me bad... ;) ....went about 100k between oil change(s)/filter....had to add the odd liter now and again though.... :D

Cheapest shit available....still running pretty good with 480000 on it :thumbup:

How much is your motor worth? I run Royal Purple in all my rigs except the D21, because I'm waiting 3000 miles before I switch to synthetic. They mention that on the bottle, think they recommend 2000 miles before switching for new motors. Right now I'm using NAPA brand oil, which is basically Valvoline base stock minus their additive package.

I also run the Royal Purple 6000 miles and change the filter at 3000, except the 510. It gets changed sooner than 3000 usually because it's the race car and I care a lot more about it.

The other good thing about Royal Purple is it's an SL oil, not an SM. So all the zinc stuff and other additives that people are missing, have never been taken out of their oil. They didn't change their formula because they called bullshit on the American Petroleum Institute. Same with Red Line, they make oils that are suitable for GL-4, though I don't know if they're an SL or SM oil.

If you didn't know, most Datsuns need GL4 ONLY in their transmissions due to brass synchros. (The yellow metal problem.) Cummins diesel NV4500 transmissions also require a GL4 fluid. That's one reason I haven't used Schaeffer's yet. It's good oil, but they only have a GL5 gear lube.

Other good oils: Schaeffers, Red Line, Valvoline.

Regardless, if it's just a driver, nothing special, stick with a tier III base oil (Castrol/Valvoline/Mobil1) and you can't go wrong. Stick away from Pennzoil and Quaker State.

Also, if you have a leaky engine, don't use synthetic oil. It cleans really well, and will clean all the gunk keeping your old, cracked seal from leaking badly, and then you'll have much more leakage. For non oil-leaking motors and new motors, no reason not to use synthetic. (Other than cost.)

Oh yeah, and FRAM filters suck. You might as well take a tampon, wrap it in a plastic bag, and duct tape that to your oil filter housing. It'll do the same thing. :D

• Like 1

This is what I found on the accel motor oil on walmart...

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-156621.html

"This is old news,i did later test that walmart accell oil approx 3yr back and it had 800ppm zddp when stock mild cams need a minimum of 1200-1300ppm zddp for a normal /longer srv'c life and 800ppm doesnt cut it,esp when perf cams need a little more zddp (depending on cam's perf lvl-lobe design & spring rate being run) for proper/longest srv'c life.

Here ya go again,pick your poison/LOL!!!!

Scott

================================================== ========

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4) OIL THAT'S GREAT FOR HIGH PERFORMANCE FLAT TAPPET CAM PROTECTION POST BREAKIN . THIS OIL IS ALSO GOOD FOR BREAKIN OF HIGH PERF FLAT TAPPET CAM'S WHEN USED WITH PROPER OIL ADDITIVE LIKE GM EOS OR LUCAS TB ZINC MENTIONED ABOVE.

SUMMIT'S NEW (SPECTRO RE-PKG) CONVENTIONAL HIGH PERF FLAT TAPPET CAM OIL WITH 1,800PPM ZDDP

LINK TO SPECTRO MOTORGUARD OIL FOR FT CAM/LIFTERS

http://goldenmotorguard.com/cart/index.php?main_page=products_all

* SUM-MGSAE30 (USE WITH OIL ADDITIVE LISTED ABOVE FOR BREAKIN BUT POST BREAKIN THIS OIL CAN BE USED ALONE WITH NO ADDITIVE TO PROTECT ANY HIGH PERF FLAT TAPPET CAM )

* SUM-MG10W40 (USE WITH OIL ADDITIVE LISTED ABOVE FOR BREAKIN BUT POST BREAKIN THIS OIL CAN BE USED ALONE WITH NO ADDITIVE TO PROTECT ANY HIGH PERF FLAT TAPPET CAM)

* SUM-MG20W50 (USE WITH OIL ADDITIVE LISTED ABOVE FOR BREAKIN BUT POST BREAKIN THIS OIL CAN BE USED ALONE WITH NO ADDITIVE TO PROTECT ANY HIGH PERF FLAT TAPPET CAM)

NOTE,THE ABOVE OIL IS ALSO AVAIL IN SEMI BLEND ,SEE SUMMITS SITE FOR DETAILS/PT#'S.

================================================== ===========================

5) ADDITIONAL OIL WITH PROPER ZDDP LVLS FOR FT CAM PROTECTION SOME AVAIL AT STORES WHERE NOTED BUT OTHERS ARE AVAIL ON PERSPECTIVE WEBSITES

* SPECTRO MOTORGUARD SERIES OIL SPECIFICALLY MFG'D FOR FT CAM'D MOTORS,SAME AS SUMMITS NEW HI PERF OIL FOR FT CAM'D MOTORS.

* CEN-PE-CO

* JOE GIBBS HOT ROD OIL

* MOTOR HEAD HI " Z " OIL

* CLASSIC CAR OIL

* VALVOLINES VR1 RACE OIL (AVAIL AT MOST AUTOZONE-AUTO STORES IN GENERAL) (HAS PROPER DETERGENT LVL FOR STREET)

* CHEVRON DELO LE 15W-40 (AVAIL AT MOST STORES/HAS ENOUGH ZINC/PHOS/ZDDP FOR STOCK TO MODERATE LVL PERF CAMS)

* CAM2 RACE OIL

* REDLINE RACE OIL (HAS LOWER DET LVL SO NEEDS MORE FREQUENT OIL CHANGE FOR STREET USE)

* ROYAL PURPLE RACE OIL (CK ZDDP LVL BEFORE BUYING,NOT ALL GRADES HAVE AMPLE ZDDP)

* BRAD PENN RACE OIL

* PENNZOIL 25W-50 GT RACE OIL

=============================================

6)OIL ADDITIVES TO BE USED WITH SM RATED MOTORS OIL NOT HAVING ENOUGH ZDDP WHEN RUNNING FT CAMS. THEY AVAIL ON THIER PERSPECTIVE SITES AND SOME STORES LIKE SUMMIT/JEGS/EASTWOOD

* ZDDPLUS

* CAMSHIELD

* MOTOR HI " Z " ZINC ADDITIVE

=============================================

(7)THESE BELOW MENTIONED CAM/LIFTER BREAKIN ADDITIVES CAN BE USED IN A PINCH ALONG WITH SM RATED OIL WITH LOW ZDDP LVL,PT #'S ARE LISTED ABOVE IN THIS NOTE UNDER #2 OIL ADDITIVES FOR FT CAM BREAKIN

* GM EOS

* CRANE SUPERLUBE BREAKIN CONCENTRATE

* LUCAS TB ZINC BREAKIN LUBE"

For the last two years I've been dripping out the empties from the trash outside my work. I get about a half a gallon every other week. So it really doesn't matter what you dump in there. The only thing I suggest is stay away from synthetics. Especially if you have gasket sealant on your rig. Synthetic motor oils chemically attack gasket sealants, and you'll end up with leaks all over. That's why they are not recommended for high mileage motors.

• 12 years later...

I realize this thread is a decade plus old, but I thought I would share a bit of info with the board.  The Haynes manual clearly states Castrol GTX motor oil and HYPOY for the manual trans.  (GL4).  Castrol informed me they no longer make any GL4 product, and have widen the GTX branding to include a GTX Classic.  If you want the product with higher zinc content, you should find the GTX Classic.  just throwing it out there.

• Like 1