Buying a welder tomorrow......

Ok, I sold a bunch f car parts and crap from the honda and am ready to buy my first welder! I am wanting to start with one that I can d sheet metal with as that's what I need done the most and am most comfortable with since I can do body work. I was looking at this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/welding/mig-flux-welders/120-amp-230-volt-mig-and-flux-welder-97503.html but am not really sure what to get. I'm going to HF tomorrow while I'm in Dallas but if you advise against it then more than likely I'll go with what you suggest.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You WILL NOT be happy with a HF welder. Save your money, buy a halfway decent welder. One other thing, make sure your electrical can handle the amperage if you're using a 110v welder. I have a decent NAPA welder (Think it's ThermalArc or Firepower something, made in Italy) and it's not horrible, but I can't utilize it to it's full potential as my garage wiring is fairly shitty. Need to redo the circuit to take full advantage. My wiring is from the 60s, so if you're in a newer house, your 110 is probably a lot better.

Also, if you have to use an extension cord with it, use as short a cord as possible, and make sure it's very heavy gauge wire. Current drop sucks on 110 welders.

• Like 1

I agree, dont get a HF one. if thats all you can afford i guess get it, but try and find a lincoln or miller (hobart even)

I just bought a lincoln 125 new in box for 420. It will do up to 1/4". plenty enough for what i need to do with any car, and i have a stick welder for the thicker stuff.

• Like 1

I have the 90 amp flux core HF welder, its fine for what i use it for, mainly welding up j tin , well work $90. from what I've read and seen online, everyone that complains about it can't weld in the first place. find the model you are looking for and look on you tube. I do agree with everyone else though, if you can afford a lincoln get a lincoln, but if your like me, and I know I am, it was the hf welder or no welder.

this is what sold me on mine

Tractor Supplyis a good place for Hobart welders, they often have discounts available.

Unless you need the portability of a 110v welder, I'd stick with a 220v machine with shielding gas. They tend to run much smoother and have a higher duty cycle than the smaller 110 machines. I've got a Miller 250, and a Tigwave 250 so I've got everything covered.

I have the 90 amp flux core HF welder, its fine for what i use it for, mainly welding up j tin , well work $90. from what I've read and seen online, everyone that complains about it can't weld in the first place. find the model you are looking for and look on you tube. I do agree with everyone else though, if you can afford a lincoln get a lincoln, but if your like me, and I know I am, it was the hf welder or no welder.

That might be the case lol. Or thats all they could afford and noticed how shitty they are?

I haven't welded with a HF machine yet, but i did just pick up a Lincoln mig machine, ill be trying it out first chance i get..

This is the same video I saw a few weeks ago when I decided on that welder.

I have one of the HF flux core welders and it works just fine for what I need it for. It does have an issue with feeding if you turn the cable in too tight of a radius... but if you make sure and not STEP on the thing and not kink it, it will do fine. I welded up my Datsun 620 trailer with the HF welder and it did wonderfully. The only drawback is not being able to have a variable amp setting. The speed control is adjustable but the amps are on a switch.

I kind of wish I spent a bit more and got the GAS MIG so I can do aluminum someday, but this one is working great for me so far. Just beware, I don't think it will do sheet metal under 18Ga. with out blow through.

If you need a cheap welder now, I'd go for it but get the GAS MIG if you ever want to do aluminum. AND get the extra warranty!!

Check CL and I'm sure you can find a good 110v gas shielded welder for $300-500 all day long with tank and related goodies. You will be happy you spent the money on a nicer welder. Hope that you use common sense and not waste your money on a sub par machine. A gas shielded welder will give you much nicer results. If your going to get a frosting gun buy one that you will be happy with and that will give you good results. MIG=Frosting gun.

I welded my 69 datsun kingcab project together with harbor freight "dual mig 151T/I" item # 36692 It worked fine for sheet metal, I never used it for heavy metal like a frame though, it worked fine with flux core wire, and is capable of using gas if you buy the required parts, this is the issue I have with harbor freight(HF), you cannot buy parts for you HF welder at the welding supply outfits, other than the wire, you have to buy all your parts from HF, the tips are differant, guns, everything is differant. My machine lasted for 10 years, but now I have problems getting parts because I lost my owners manual with the part numbers, after getting tired of talking with them on the phone, I broke down and bought a millermatic passport plus for several reasons, I had the money, it worked on 110v and 220v, it's like a suitcase that I can carry around and use at any house with 110v, and the neighbor across the street uses nothing else for med. and light welding and that is what he does for a living, but mine does aluminum and his doesn't, :lol: so mine becomes a loaner every once in a while. :unsure: If that is all you can afford, it will work fine on sheet metal. :thumbup: wayno

• 1 month later...

You know what the best part of the video is???? That dude rates the quality of the welds in fat people, as if its a unit of measure taught in schools to kids :lol:

jeff

"im pretty sure this piece could hold.... umm hold..... yeah mabey like ummm...... probably like mabey 3 fat people?" :rofl: