so the car is out of the DMV system.....

Hey i am looking to find out what i am in for. my boy, who is 14 has a 71 Celica ST. we just found out that the car is not in the DMV system here in Ca. i hope this is a good thing. the guy we bought it from said there was a lien on it and dues were like $450. my wife just called the DMV and they said it not in the system and that it will need an "inspection" prior to getting Registration. my question is, what are they going to be looking for. is this just a Brake and lamp insp.? or are they looking to verify engine #'s, smog equipment, etc? i am glad the $450 is not owed anymore but what lies ahead?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just went through that at DMV, my 520 was out of the system since 1975. They had me do Vin # check,mileage, I don't think they care for the engine # they didn't check on mine. And some Fact info thing?? wanting to know why it was not reg. for so long and were it was. I also had to weight it being a truck. But two trips to DMV and $76 bucks you can't beat that. Just be prepared for them to piss you off as they did me but it should all work of. Good Luck.

i am going through the same thing on my datsun i bought it from a guy who just picked it up from the son of the deceased owner as a package deal. o and to add more to the fiasco... oregon dmv does not have any records of any car past 6 years ago because they went from micro film to computers. the oregon dmv told me i needed to mail in a request form to the main office to have them look up my car to see if it was a clear title. so i gave up on that and i called state patrol in washington and they said to bring it to be inspected and i will get title for it eventually

Just be prepared for them to piss you off as they did me but it should all work of. Good Luck.

Just jump through the hoops & play thier game.

plan on 2 DMV trips and one to the local CHP, minimum.

i popped the hood for the firewall VIN and they could care less about the motor.

• 1 year later...

Wow, this is an old thread, but only one I found that addresses my question.  Anybody know, how I would go about registering a 510 with a KA swap that hasn't be been registered for 10 years.  Current owner has title in his name, but no registration since 2003.  Supposedly car is no longer in the CA DMV system, so theoretically could register without paying backfees.  But required vehicle inspection would expose late model engine required all smog equipment.

It sounds to me like your best option is to get the car registered with the original engine in it.

The next option is to get the car running with a pre 1975 engine.

Go with a newer engine, and you trigger smog inspection, and at that point, they could inspect everything.

i am going through the same thing on my datsun i bought it from a guy who just picked it up from the son of the deceased owner as a package deal. o and to add more to the fiasco... oregon dmv does not have any records of any car past 6 years ago because they went from micro film to computers. the oregon dmv told me i needed to mail in a request form to the main office to have them look up my car to see if it was a clear title. so i gave up on that and i called state patrol in washington and they said to bring it to be inspected and i will get title for it eventually

____________________________________________________________________________________

I had to do this too as my 1200 had changed hands before me with no title and was not in the system. After having it inspected it's now registered in my name and road legal but the new title wont be issued until 2015. FYI if it came from out of state and WA DMV finds out they wont help you.

or hope the CHP doesnt open the hood and recognize that its not the "original" motor.  ;)

True, I can see how that could become a whole fiasco, too.  I was hoping that some of the californian engine swap guys would chime in.  Hopefully, big brother isn't keeping an eye on this forum.

or pull the engine and get the chp and dmv inspections done on a trailer, put motor back and do the brake and lamp.

Will that really work?  You can get each item checked off at different times?  I'll look into that, thanks for the tip.