so the car is out of the DMV system.....

the brake and lamp is done at a shop and the wont care about the motor. the vin check is done at dmv or chp and the might care what motor is in it. if no motor is in it they cant say anything about it and theyre checking vin, i dont have to run for that.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Turns out the car was still in the DMV system, so I was able to pay the back fees/penalties and place it on non-op.  Surprising, since the car hasn't been registered for almost 10 years.  No inspection will be required when I'm ready to register the car later.  Now that everything is computerized, It's probably easy for them to keep permanent records.  

• 4 weeks later...

A little misinformation going on here......coming from my experience with the lovely DMV here in CA, and i've had a lot. It only makes it marginally easier if you have paperwork on car if it's out of the system. So, if you don't have paperwork it doesn't matter, don't let that deter you. First...if the car is out of the system they will do a vin verification right at the dmv office, so haul your car there. They like to see two points of reference with a vin # on it. They do NOT check engine #'s. As for what engine is in it, if it is pre smog.....they don't give a crap what engine is in it....it could have a blown injected alcohol burning hemi...it doesn't matter, unless your vehicle has to be smogged. That is a whole different can of worms. So don't go pulling your engine out thinking you're helping yourself out. Now on certain later model cars depending on how high they are on the current stolen car lists, they will have you go to CHP and do a more complete verification process, also checking engine #'s and will want to see a paper trail of where the parts came for the high profile cars. Brake and lamp inspections are only needed when dealing with a salvage titled vehicle and putting it back on the road for the first time after being salvaged. To touch on engine swaps, if you are dealing with a smog car and you do a swap, whatever is newer, the vehicle has to be smogged to those specs....example, if you have a '79 car and put a '68 engine in it.....you still have to smog it to the '79 car specs, with ALL the '79 smog equipment installed.....also if you have the same '79 car and put a '96 engine in, you now have to smog it to the '96 specs with ALL the smog equipment installed. And yes, when the vehicle falls out of the system, so do all those lovely back fees!! Yay! I hope this sheds a little light and possibly clears a few things up....and most of all good luck with your project!!!         :thumbup:

A little misinformation going on here......coming from my experience with the lovely DMV here in CA, and i've had a lot. It only makes it marginally easier if you have paperwork on car if it's out of the system. So, if you don't have paperwork it doesn't matter, don't let that deter you. First...if the car is out of the system they will do a vin verification right at the dmv office, so haul your car there. They like to see two points of reference with a vin # on it. They do NOT check engine #'s. As for what engine is in it, if it is pre smog.....they don't give a crap what engine is in it....it could have a blown injected alcohol burning hemi...it doesn't matter, unless your vehicle has to be smogged. That is a whole different can of worms. So don't go pulling your engine out thinking you're helping yourself out. Now on certain later model cars depending on how high they are on the current stolen car lists, they will have you go to CHP and do a more complete verification process, also checking engine #'s and will want to see a paper trail of where the parts came for the high profile cars. Brake and lamp inspections are only needed when dealing with a salvage titled vehicle and putting it back on the road for the first time after being salvaged. To touch on engine swaps, if you are dealing with a smog car and you do a swap, whatever is newer, the vehicle has to be smogged to those specs....example, if you have a '79 car and put a '68 engine in it.....you still have to smog it to the '79 car specs, with ALL the '79 smog equipment installed.....also if you have the same '79 car and put a '96 engine in, you now have to smog it to the '96 specs with ALL the smog equipment installed. And yes, when the vehicle falls out of the system, so do all those lovely back fees!! Yay! I hope this sheds a little light and possibly clears a few things up....and most of all good luck with your project!!!         :thumbup:

+1 on this. Pre 75 they don't give a rats ass about the engine. Unless it's an engine that does not belong in the US market. They can make you ref the car in that case. Friend with 71 240z got a ref ticket with his RB25 swap all because the engine was not imported in any production vehicle in the US. Otherwise you can probably pull up with any beast engine in there and no one will question you. As for the registration, it should not be a problem at all. My truck was out of hte system since the early 90's and i was able to register just with the bill of sale and a pink slip that was completely incorrect. The DMV and this state is hurting for money, so they will help you register the car no matter what. Lady knocked down my fees from 1K to $256 because i said -  I might as well push this thing down a hill, because the truck is not worth anything and i'm not paying $1k in fees.

Yank the motor out and just roll the car onto a trailer and have them look at it that way. That is how we did one car. They did not care it was a bare chassis, just that it had the proper vin

If it;'s pre 75 you don't need to do any of that, actually this reminds me. My friend registered a non op full on racecar - yes racecar. Red 240sx, baby blue roll cage, gold wheels, and almost on the ground with no interior. The car had a huge intercooler, sr20det with a huge fartcan exhaust. They did not pop the hood, his blinkers didn't work and headlights were so discolored from the sun that you could not see them when they were on. Guess what, he got the car passed with flying colors. The DMV turned a blind eye on all of it and let it through. This happened about 10 years ago, but it was a 95 car, so believe me a 71 would be a walk in the park as long as it has all of the proper indicators lights etc. I really don't know why people get stressed out about these things, you are dealing with a broken system, which means anything that is broken will not need to be fixed. HAHA.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to DMV today here in CA, pre-smog vehicle....no title....out of the system for who knows how long....had me sign some stuff for the seller(I was the buyer)....went outside vin verified it....bada bing!! Walked out with plates and registration! They do not care what engine...etc...etc...

I just pick up a 73 620 its been sitting for 25 years the owner died and the son sold me the truck so no pink . he just gave me a bill of sale and the keys . what do I need to do next? i live in socal I also would like to keep the blue plates any one know if I have to turn these blue plates in to DMV ?

I just pick up a 73 620 its been sitting for 25 years the owner died and the son sold me the truck so no pink . he just gave me a bill of sale and the keys . what do I need to do next? i live in socal I also would like to keep the blue plates any one know if I have to turn these blue plates in to DMV ?

See "ghammer"'s 1 March posting for registration info. No, you don't have to turn in the blue plates unless someone requested that plate number as a vanity plate and a DMV search showed no longer registered [after 25 years a distinct possibility] and then declared the plate available for reissue as a vanity plate. Bottom line, unlikely that you won't be able to keep the current plate.

And make sure you actually go to DMV. If you talk to them over the phone they will tell you that you can't register the car. I almost didn't buy mine because they kept telling me the only way i could register was to find the original owner from 1989 or something like that and get them to sign the pink slip. Anyways, go there, talk to them and they will get it sorted out. Just make sure to register within a month or else they will suspend the registration.