• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well? is it running yet? :P

yep :)

nice score Mike!!!! . . . .. . . . :lol:

...it does look pretty nice sitting in there...........and it is an auto..............and I have the keys...........and I don't currently own a datsun..........hhhmmmm......

glad to see shes in good hands :cool:

There was some extra wires in there for no apparent reason....looks like one of them snaked through the heater control cables and was cut by their movement. It arced enough that it melted the end right off the control cable. There's a couple of very poorly done crimp on connectors, but other than that, there's nothing obvious so far. I'm sure we can figure it out.....just not sure how far we'll have to dig to find it. Looking into the firewall area after pulling out the instrument section, we found that a 6" long bolt that's supposed to hold up the entire heater assy is missing............so it looks like someone has been really deep into the dash of this rig. I'm guessing the the "little old lady" that owned it before had some work done. If the heater core had gone out....she would have paid to have it fixed and they would have been into the dash assy deep enough for that bolt to come up missing. We may just need to run to the s/y today and pull some pieces :)

shes back up and running, she still has some little quirks. but shes back on the road.

Heater still turns on when headlights are on, even if the heater fuse is pulled.

and the running lights turn on when you turn the car on.

Should get that fixed before you drive it to much, i would be worried about it causing more issues or fires... But who knows.

that last fire was not caused by any of that.

1.every fuse was wrong

2.a Wire got cut by the heater control's, then set the casing of the cables that control the heater on fire.

we went through the harness, could not find any spliced wires or anything that looked like it would make this happen.

we did test and turn every thing on and make the car run for a while at full capacity. No fuses blew

As best I can tell, the fire had nothing to do with the weird issue with the heater fan turning on when the lights are on. There were two poorly done splices, which have been fixed, but other wise, I couldn't find a dang thing out of whack on that car electrically.....at least not with 3hrs of physical inspection! :( I hate to say it, but I think that dash was pulled completely out at some point......and I think it will need that again to find the cause of the quirks. The charging system checked out fine.....we turned on every electrical load and let it idle for 20 min....no problems, no flickering. We pulled the instrument cluster at least 3x's checking to make sure everything was where it was supposed to be. I found and checked any and all connectors that might have even been remotely involved with the fan issue. I hate to cry "uncle", but I finally had to. It sill has two little quirks, but they don't seem to be causing any trouble.

As Kelly said....the fire was caused by an 18ga wire, connected to a 10ga wire on a 20A fuse.....it ran right through the heater control levers....it shorted out bad enough to melt the end off of one of the control cables and burn the insulation.

it's always more exhausting to spend that much effort on a problem and not solve it......time for sleep :)

• 3 weeks later...

i need to replace the plug that goes into the back of my alt, its done for.

and then the 610 will be back to DD status

if its the T plug it should be the same as all the rest, 510, 70-83 Z car, and 620 ones are all the same

if its the T plug it should be the same as all the rest, 510, 70-83 Z car, and 620 ones are all the same

Right up through the mid '80s. The matchbox dizzy plug is also the same and any Nissan with an oil pressure gauge... the sender on the block has this same T plug.

1.every fuse was wrong

2.a Wire got cut by the heater control's, then set the casing of the cables that control the heater on fire.

we went through the harness, could not find any spliced wires or anything that looked like it would make this happen.

we did test and turn every thing on and make the car run for a while at full capacity. No fuses blew

shes back up and running, she still has some little quirks. but shes back on the road.

Heater still turns on when headlights are on, even if the heater fuse is pulled.

and the running lights turn on when you turn the car on.

Kelly if you have the parking (running lights) switch on with the engine running and you turn the motor off, does it shut off or keep running?