What would be a decent price for this 510?

tehpiedpiper

Thank you guys for your brutally honest replies... I honestly thought I struck gold finding this thing... and to think I was going to drive from Anaheim to Sacramento (7 hour drive) to pick this thing up... ahh I'm just disappointed I've been looking for a 510 after a friend bought his years ago and fell in love with the breed </3 So would any of you even recommend a guy like me buying a 510 who knows nothing of cars? Maybe it would be best.. it seems I don't belong in these forums... :[

Dude I didn't know anything before I got to Ratsun. Don't let the unknown stop you from getting a 510. These guys will get you through pretty much anything. But if you want to learn, start simple. Grab yourself a nice straight 510 with a stock engine or at least a L-engine. (Stock was L16, but the L18 and the L20b bolt right in.) and work your way up to something with a swap.

I agree that this is a tough sell because it is not a Nissan engine or at least a Japanese engine of some sort.

That said, if done well this would be a hell of a fun ride though! But for 8K you could get into a SR swap or a KA swap or even a V6 vg30 swap. All nissan engines and swaps that are known territory if you need help.

Just something to think about!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude I didn't know anything before I got to Ratsun. Don't let the unknown stop you from getting a 510. These guys will get you through pretty much anything. But if you want to learn, start simple. Grab yourself a nice straight 510 with a stock engine or at least a L-engine. (Stock was L16, but the L18 and the L20b bolt right in.) and work your way up to something with a swap.

I agree that this is a tough sell because it is not a Nissan engine or at least a Japanese engine of some sort.

That said, if done well this would be a hell of a fun ride though! But for 8K you could get into a SR swap or a KA swap or even a V6 vg30 swap. All nissan engines and swaps that are known territory if you need help.

Just something to think about!

Thank you all for the words of encouragement and for saving me 7-8 grand. I appreciate all the replies, if anyone finds a clean 510 in the socal area please let me know. As for now, I will go drink my misery and sorrows away. Again, Thank you all very much.

Thank you all for the words of encouragement and for saving me 7-8 grand. I appreciate all the replies, if anyone finds a clean 510 in the socal area please let me know. As for now, I will go drink my misery and sorrows away. Again, Thank you all very much.

Hey, look at the bright side; atleast you get to drink your misery and sorrow away and you didn't even have to spend 8 grand to get to that point :lol:

Nah man, it ain't that bad. Trust me, they come up for sale in so cal all the time. Just keep lookin'. ;)

Thank you guys for your brutally honest replies...

I was going to drive from Anaheim to Sacramento (7 hour drive) to pick this thing up...

So would any of you even recommend a guy like me buying a 510 who knows nothing of cars? Maybe it would be best.. it seems I don't belong in these forums... :[

if you'd dive that far, you should have the patience to wait for a 510 better suited for what you want to do with it.

there is an SR powered 510 in the sac area, a bit more $$$$

if you can afford to throw money away on someone to fix simple :rolleyes: things (let alone a GM motor in a datsun), then this is perfect for you!

the car it self looks nice, and is drivable.

the dash is... :sick:

Hey, look at the bright side; atleast you get to drink your misery and sorrow away and you didn't even have to spend 8 grand to get to that point :lol:

Nah man, it ain't that bad. Trust me, they come up for sale in so cal all the time. Just keep lookin'. ;)

Yes, the fact I can afford to get drunk is definitely on the bright side. I suppose you're right, I would have been pissed finding this out after I bought it.

if you'd dive that far, you should have the patience to wait for a 510 better suited for what you want to do with it.

there is an SR powered 510 in the sac area, a bit more $$

if you can afford to throw money away on someone to fix simple :rolleyes: things (let alone a GM motor in a datsun), then this is perfect for you!

the car it self looks nice, and is drivable.

the dash is... :sick:

I actually thought the dash was bichin. At least post on here one more time to complete your 7k post count. That way I feel like this thread wouldn't have been in vain. & I will cheers to that. <3

If you REALLY want a 510: . . I'd reccomend buying one with a L-series motor that runs and drives for about $3,500 ... make shure it's a really clean good runner

Then you can use the other $4,500 to get another Datsun...... ;)

I wish my 710 had the stock motor......... it's been nothing but a a headache trying to make it be a daily driver........ and it's probably going to get sold for less than I got it for.... :(

At least post on here one more time to complete your 7k post count.

whats post count got to do with input about you wanting to buy the dime, please explain. :poke:

i hear a funny whistling noise??? :hmm:

"name that tune" :)

Egads I hate GM motors, especially the 3.8 V6, but I imagine it is probably fairly reliable and probably decently fast, if not heavy. Then again I could be talking out my ass.

I've seen pristine stock 510s go for only 2-3000 on ebay. You'd be better off to find an unmolested original L16 car with little power as they're still fun to drive, but also very easy and cheap to fix. No big horsepower means no big money to fix the car when you break things. Short of running it into a curb. And if you don't have the skills, you need the money to fix it if it breaks. If you're relying on mechanic buddies, they'll get bored really fast if they have to fix your ride constantly.

I'd say hold out for a better, more pure example.

i hear a funny whistling noise??? :hmm:

Refer to second reply.

whats post count got to do with input about you wanting to buy the dime, please explain. :poke:

"name that tune" :)

Take it easy gentlemen I was just having a bad day. I didn't catch the jokes but I think I'm aware of the problem. I know from MMA forums posting something just to see a higher post count is frowned upon... I get it. As I've mentioned, I thought I had struck gold when I found this car weeks ago. Last night I found out that the car isn't worth what I was going to spend and I was devastated. You know someone is having a horrible day when their highlight is seeing three zero's appear at the end of someones post count. Please forgive me for my unforgivable sin.

If I knew very little about cars and was going to spend 8 or 9 grand I would buy myself a brand new economy car. Dosent sound like you need a car that weighs 2250 and has 300hp! Just my opinion :unsure:

Your right... I was looking into some VW deisels like Golf TDI unless you guys tell me there is something wrong with those cars as well... besides looking the way they do...

Egads I hate GM motors, especially the 3.8 V6, but I imagine it is probably fairly reliable and probably decently fast, if not heavy. Then again I could be talking out my ass.

I've seen pristine stock 510s go for only 2-3000 on ebay. You'd be better off to find an unmolested original L16 car with little power as they're still fun to drive, but also very easy and cheap to fix. No big horsepower means no big money to fix the car when you break things. Short of running it into a curb. And if you don't have the skills, you need the money to fix it if it breaks. If you're relying on mechanic buddies, they'll get bored really fast if they have to fix your ride constantly.

I'd say hold out for a better, more pure example.

Thanks for the recommendation, I think I'm just going to hold out on my fantasy to own a 510 until I have a reliable car also.

Your right... I was looking into some VW deisels like Golf TDI unless you guys tell me there is something wrong with those cars as well... besides looking the way they do...

What version of golf? mk3 or mk4? I have never liked golfs too much, no trunk! I drive a mk4 jetta with a 2.slow. They are nice cars. For being 10 years old it rivals new cars on interior feel and fit. If the TDI was on the chopping block I would not hesitate. I hang out with a friend who happens to be a good VW mechanic works on anything from the aircooled VWs to mk5s and some newer audis. Hanging around the shop, Getting anything other than the 2.0 or TDI you have to know what you are buying. The TDI and 2.0 are a bit safer buys. Just dont be surprised at potential repair costs. Again though TDIs, if you do the standard maintenance, will last a very long time, I have seen some in the 300k range already.

I love the handling of these cars, they are very tight feeling. You can turn around in a street with reasonable ease, usually I can just do a uturn in a residential street without issue. TDIs will get great freeway mileage, and only decent city mileage. Besides other european cars I have not sat in a car of such an economy status that is so nice. All the buttons, switches, dials, feel so incredibly nice and reassuring. Rear seat space leaves a lot to be desired. Its a bit cramped back there, so no road trips unless all are ok with it. If I could find someone to trade my 2.0 Jetta for their TDI Jetta straight across, I would be making out with gold. Up until recently the TDIs were the unspoken magic of VW. Everyone such as my mother, when they hear "diesel _______" say "wont that be loud and noisy?" Actually they are quieter than the gas engines. You kinda sound like the perfect candidate for a TDI golf/jetta.

Guest kamakazi620

What version of golf? mk3 or mk4? I have never liked golfs too much, no trunk! I drive a mk4 jetta with a 2.slow. They are nice cars. For being 10 years old it rivals new cars on interior feel and fit. If the TDI was on the chopping block I would not hesitate. I hang out with a friend who happens to be a good VW mechanic works on anything from the aircooled VWs to mk5s and some newer audis. Hanging around the shop, Getting anything other than the 2.0 or TDI you have to know what you are buying. The TDI and 2.0 are a bit safer buys. Just dont be surprised at potential repair costs. Again though TDIs, if you do the standard maintenance, will last a very long time, I have seen some in the 300k range already.

I love the handling of these cars, they are very tight feeling. You can turn around in a street with reasonable ease, usually I can just do a uturn in a residential street without issue. TDIs will get great freeway mileage, and only decent city mileage. Besides other european cars I have not sat in a car of such an economy status that is so nice. All the buttons, switches, dials, feel so incredibly nice and reassuring. Rear seat space leaves a lot to be desired. Its a bit cramped back there, so no road trips unless all are ok with it. If I could find someone to trade my 2.0 Jetta for their TDI Jetta straight across, I would be making out with gold. Up until recently the TDIs were the unspoken magic of VW. Everyone such as my mother, when they hear "diesel _______" say "wont that be loud and noisy?" Actually they are quieter than the gas engines. You kinda sound like the perfect candidate for a TDI golf/jetta.

When did this site become VW???????? if i say "Hondar" i get flamed but "Sig Heil VW" is allowed?????

i think the paint is sweet....oh i wish i had that paint....and the dash sucks, but in all fairness i do think its worth like 6,500, but i said worth, now get to dealing... not something id want cause of seats,dash, chevy motor, no bumpers, and it needs wheels bad.....whats it worth to you is really the ?........i been seeing alot of what i call 8,000 510s sell for 4,500....not the best time to buy a car ,go beat it and then try to sell it for what you got into it..... good luck

dont be discouraged man. buying an unmolested datsun is the best way to learn about them. they are ultra-simple to work on and cheap. you can fix almost everything on a datsun with a basic set of metric hand tools and a good datsun repair manual.

and socal is one of the places ive seen the most 510's for sale, just watch craigslist like a hawk :D

good luck dude!

bosch electronics = fail?

Is that why every single diesel manufacturer uses Bosch injection system? Anywhere from old Dodge Rams to Mercedes use them. They have proven themselves over and over. Everything else on the car fails before they do.

I gotta be honest. Hold off on getting a Datto for a while and get a decent car for transportation. Then spend the rest of your time on RATSUN learning. Read everything you can, tech articles and such. Get familiar with the car BEFORE you buy. Your idea of what is cool and acceptable WILL change. Mine did. I hate to say it, but one of my first posts on the 510realm was about if a gm v6 was a good swap for a 510. Boy did I get flamed, but for good reason. Cause it's a retarded idea. You'll get the gist of it soon enough. Don't rush into a datto. You'll find the right one eventually. And you'll love it. My .02.

Chopping block ?.? I just barely researched the mk's. Didn't know the difference & found out that mk5 had no diesel option (probably why you didn't mention it). Anyway I will probably start looking around for an mk4. I have some questions to ask and was wondering if you would help me find one. However, I don't want to turn this thread into VW material, you've already taken too many shots by other users for me hehe. Thank you very much for your review.

I gotta be honest. Hold off on getting a Datto for a while and get a decent car for transportation. Then spend the rest of your time on RATSUN learning. Read everything you can, tech articles and such. Get familiar with the car BEFORE you buy. Your idea of what is cool and acceptable WILL change. Mine did. I hate to say it, but one of my first posts on the 510realm was about if a gm v6 was a good swap for a 510. Boy did I get flamed, but for good reason. Cause it's a retarded idea. You'll get the gist of it soon enough. Don't rush into a datto. You'll find the right one eventually. And you'll love it. My .02.

Thank you very much for your input it seems like holding off would be the best option right now.

When did this site become VW???????? if i say "Hondar" i get flamed but "Sig Heil VW" is allowed?????

Please re-direct all your insults to me. I was the one who brought up VW the guy just wanted to spare me the humiliation. I am new to 510's and to cars in general, this just seemed like the place to start. Now I know that's a no-no, I apologize.