fitted 510 car cover?

fisch

Allrighty, having managed to find a dime in NE that isn't totally rusted out, I am wanting to keep it that way! It will be a while before it gets a garage space, so I would like to keep it covered but refuse to use a tarp.

What fitted covers do y'all use that are good against snow and rain?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My buddy and I both use ones for a (i believe) 92-95 civic (not hatch), and it couldn't fit more perfect. It's like it's made for it. I'm pretty sure they are factory Honda ones. Even the mirror locations are perfect. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow for you guys. I'll check the tag on it for brand and such for you guys also. (sorry not sure on the wagon though)

Thanks creepy! Hey that gives me a thought. You know those hard core BMW guys probably have covers, bet the boxiness of a BMW 2002 would be a close match!

(But probably for an inflated BMW price, when a honda could do the same thing!!!)

Yes. I have heard that the covers from the 2002 and the 320i both fit nicely.

Being made for A BMW, they will not be cheap. I found a pretty nice universal cover at Costco. It was similar to the $100 covers but cost $33. It comes with 2 webbed straps that snap into built in buckles. Works well to keep the wind from blowing it off.

If you truly want a fitted cover, check out the one that Pete Brock sells.

http://www.bre2.net/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=B&Product_Code=carcover_510&Category_Code=car_covers

http://www.bre2.net/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=B&Product_Code=carcover_510&Category_Code=car_covers

bre2_car_cover_510_lgt.jpg

Now that you are a 510 owner, you may want to utilize a fantastic resource to research anything 510, The Bluebirds email list archive.

Here is what came up when I did a search for Car Cover:

http://www.datsun510.com/bbmail/adds/results.asp?searchstring=+car+cover

• Like 2

Thanks for that link David. I'd seen the Brock one on quick search and wondered if it were weather proof or 'california' weather proof? I have never looked at covers before, but am hoping for something snow and slush proof.

I have never found a car cover that was truly snow proof or slush proof. Seems every cover I have ever used will allow stuff to get through it. The car needs to breath otherwise it will have moisture trapped inside. If your car will be stored under a carport or something that will divert the snow and ice, a carbag can work well. I have one that I used when I put a car in storage at my Cousin's repair shop and the car came out after a 6 month storage in the exact same condition as when it was stored.

See them here:

http://www.carbag.com

• 5 years later...

I've been using the generic Rain-X one, it fits like a potato sack on supermodel, lol. But it did fit the wagon and the sedan.

doing some research... I think I am going to try to just make one. The 510 is a box.. shouldnt be too hard to make.

• Like 1

When have to leave any of my nicer cars outside for any extended amount of time, I drive it up onto a piece of 2" foam insulation board as well as the car cover. Any of the small universal car covers will work, and I always tarp over that.

Car covers and long term storage do not mix - at least not in the wet Northwest.

Even expensive "weather resistant" car covers will get saturated and then you just end up effectively storing your car under a wet towel.

I have a car on the side of my garage for a while.  It does not need any more help rusting.  I built a ladder frame out of pvc pipe and laid that over the car.  Then I draped a tarp over the frame and pulled it down to the front and rear.  The frame bends making a turtle shell shaped silhouette with the tarp.  It sheds water and no where is the tarp sitting on the car so everything can breathe.

It's not as pretty as a car cover but it's doing a better job of protecting my project 'till I can make time for it.

My neighbors are REALLY old. Frequently asks when I am selling the car(getting rid of) in my driveway. My response is, I'm not selling it. I will be fixing it and driving it.

They have lived in the same house since the entire neighborhood was new (1978). They feel entitled.

I am very much the same, I cause no trouble. I am not loud.. I clean up after myself and I own the house.

I would absolutely love to just put up a nice looking temp shelter to cover the car until I could move it into the garage. It's the best option, but likely not feasible. 

My neighbors are REALLY old. Frequently asks when I am selling the car(getting rid of) in my driveway. My response is, I'm not selling it. I will be fixing it and driving it.

They have lived in the same house since the entire neighborhood was new (1978). They feel entitled.

I am very much the same, I cause no trouble. I am not loud.. I clean up after myself and I own the house.

I would absolutely love to just put up a nice looking temp shelter to cover the car until I could move it into the garage. It's the best option, but likely not feasible.

do you live in a hoa?

If the answer is no, fuck the old far neighbors that think they run the neighborhood, it's your house and as long as you're within your legal rights they have no say whatsoever as to what you do with your property

Also, let your grass grow long, old people hate that