72 521 KA24DE Swap

Budget Monty

Getting ready to start my swap in my '72 521 (33K Original miles). I have already gutted a '95 240SX for it's drivetrain, and have pulled my motor. I am planning on making my own mounts for the swap. I have done many motor swaps over the years, and have everything needed to do so (MIG, TIG, Plasma, etc.), not really why I'm posting. More interested in finding any info on anyone that has done this swap, so I can avaid any unexpexted pitfalls.

Another thing, my truck is being converted to an automatic... I am 6'6", and the less active I have to be inside this truck, the better! I am more wondering about oilpan issues, and if maybe the K24 trucks had different oilpans that clear stuff better, and things like that. I plan on selling the 33K L16 with trans complete down to alternator, not sure what it is worth, any idea? I will update with any further progress pics. Thanks in advance for any assistance!

2q2k275.jpg

205tvf8.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally was able to tough out the cold and get the motor mounts put together and in place. I will have to rework the center steering link to be mounted up from the bottom to clear the oil pan, but everything else clears great! The whitewalls were a temporary thing I did on junk tires with vinyl paint just to get an idea of what I wanted to do tire wise in the long run, but I will be purchasing proper tires and baby moon wheels that will be color matched to the truck (Truck is going to be a chevy 5-lug pattern when finished).

The mounts are still needing to be smoothed/painted (and will have caps covering the hole in the top of each mount), but having the mounts done will allow me to finish mock up of everything, before teardown, then finishwork and paint of the engine bay. Just have to do the trans mount, but that will be cake,. Here are a few pics, and remember, these AREN'T finished!

2yyplwh.jpg

2ymahz5.jpg

Thanks for the comments! I will have some updates soon. I still have some other mods coming. it is getting full airbags, S10 rear axle (Narrowed slightly), GM G-body front brakes/spindles, and custom control arms. The plan is to lay frame. Then off to paint and body. I am doing everything myself, and am excited about paint, I spent most of last summer learning to paint, and have been getting pretty awesome results, so I am glad to be able to have an actual project to paint!

• 3 weeks later...

Those mounts are money! Nickels stacked as far as you can see.

Do you have a diagram/plans on how you made those?

Best looking KA mounts to date.

Thanks! I still have a lot of clean up to do on the mounts, but I needed to get the motor bolted in and located. I do not have any diagrams for the mounts, I just used the factory KA mounts to trace the bolt pattern out on flat steel to bolt to the block, and then made the plates that bolted on to the factory rubber mounts. After positioning the motor where I wanted it (Then raising it about a 1/2" to compensate for the weight of the motor on the mounts), I made paper templates of the pieces needed to connect it all together. I normally would have tig welded all of this, but It was 35 degrees outside, and It was much easier to roll the mig welder outside. I have since moved the vehicle to my work, so I will be able to work on it on a lift in a shop from here on out.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Yeah, it is pretty tight in there, but the truck is just too cool to care, plus making it an auto will make it more managable. Got the engine/trans sitting in the truck today, mounts should be done this weekend...

2yz0l6d.jpg

n3uh5l.jpg

nbd9gp.jpg

2ibdohc.jpg

I'm 6'4, what I did was pull the bench seat out, cut out all the springs to the top portion only, replaced with ply wood and added thinner foam and lower back support. Fits cumfy now.