Bob's '68 2 door Rat

Bob3

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While we're on the subject of your 9 datsuns, what use to fill up the garage? i know i have seen a NSX and a miata or 2, but i got to believe there was always a bunch of cars in there. Did you get rid of all of them? Just wondering, it is so cool how you've turned it into the ultimate datsun garage!

Man you US guys have all the land!

I'm lucky to get 1 garage space and 1 project :(

Dont feel bad, i have no garage, and very limited driveway. I have a 720 & a dime, wife has a mini van, brother in law is staying here for a bit and he has a giant 2000 gmc 1500. Makes for not much room.

Bob, I am getting a 510! So psyched! But I was searching for inspiration and ran across the Garage AutoHero 510 rat and thought you might dig an engine shot. Copper plumbing is what I really wanted you to see, but the turbo set-up is killer! And really opens up the bay!

Link to the Motormavens writeup.

Garage AutoHero

"The current motor setup is a Z18ET block that has been O-ringed and an L20 U67 head that’s breathing though a 1966 Jaguar SU carburetor that is also being drawn though a 280zx T3 turbo. Ray decided not to run an intercooler and fabricated the elbow straight from the turbo to intake manifold. He’s also using a 280ZX transmission."

DSC_0031.jpg

This car is so nasty/Awesome!

DSC_0069.jpg

Bob, I am getting a 510! So psyched!

This car is so nasty/Awesome!

DSC_0069.jpg

That is Great News about the 510! What are you getting? Two of my buddies here just got 510's, both 2 doors. My wife says it's because I'm a bad influence! :P

Thanks for the pics, I need to figure out how to incorporate some copper. ;)

Come on Fisch, we want a preview shot. You don't buy things sight unseen. biggrin.gif

Duuuuudes, ask and ye shall receive (if a bit premature)! LINK! (So I don't pollute Bob's thread!) I am so psyched I can't even eat. (Or concentrate on work!) Let me know what you think!

Fisch's LZ22 510

Ratted out cars are just fun. I know guys that get there cars done and just look at them in their garages, scared to drive them. These cars need to be enjoyed not stored.

Too true James, on the last fun run in October, there was a Z guy there who only shows it. Only. That run was the most miles he had EVER put on it!!!!!!!!!!

I love the boost gauge on the Ray's 510, and like the idea of the bomber seats. Some ideas: rebar (home depot built car?), wood, stretch the steering wheel back and drive from the rear seats, choose one part of the car and give that all the bling (grill, wheels, headliner, one body pannel, etc)

http://speedhunters.com/archive/2010/04/22/car-spotlight-gt-gt-the-ptr-rat.aspx

My buddy Ron and I went to the U*Pull*and*Pay today and got 1982 280ZX front struts / brakes!

510 on left - - - - 280ZX on right.

68Rat11-20-10016.jpg

Ron has a sweet 510 2 door. He bought it three weeks after he met me!

68Rat11-20-10008.jpg

I had four 510's in my shop last night!

68Rat11-20-10012.jpg

Nice! Bob did you form that piece or have something to donate from? I have a sheetmetal screw patch under the pedals on Chapman, so I could have used this!

The struts are sexy, I am jealous!

Nice! Bod did you form that piece or have something to donate from? I have a sheetmetal screw patch under the pedals on Chapman, so I could have used this!

The struts are sexy, I am jealous!

I hand formed it from a flat sheet. I had a lot of practice building the MX520!

Lookin' good Bob, You need to get your friend on the forum too, I'm jealous, his 510 looks like my dream 510, the first 2 door I ever saw was a black one at Boulevard Datsun in Boulder back in the day, and after driving it, I have always wanted one, but never been lucky enough for being in the right time and place. :(

Keep the pics coming!!!! :cool:

Looks great bob, are you or did you shoot a clear over that 280ZX hub?

No - I took it all apart and bead-blasted everything. I taped off the hub surface and brake rotor surface and painted the rest gloss black.