Bob's '68 2 door Rat

Bob3

Thanks guys!

Fisch you are right, it's a ton of fun and WAY less pressure! What I'm looking forward to with this one, is I won't be afraid to park it in a parking lot. :sweat: I do have to stop myself sometimes because this type of build is new to me and I like finding ways to bring out the character that's already there. I have to force myself to go in and go to bed, otherwise I'll work all night! :hyper:

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob,

I told you I had some ideas.

Bomber Seats!!!

Here are some. Look at the site and how they are made. Certainly something you could do up yourself.

Link: http://www.meachamri...store.php?id=28

Pictures:

Bomber%20Seats.jpg

Bomber%20Side.jpg

Bob, If you like the bomber seat idea, Speedway has some that are curved back and look more comfortable than the square ones. :D

My link

Character is right. I can't tell you how many times I've read in magazines where the owners have both pristine and ratty cars- they say they have WAY more fun with the ratters and usually get way more comments from spectators! This ride could totally support having a roof rack Bob!

I've always loved it when people use copper accents in rods, with rivets and all. Using copper pipe for much of the cooling system. Exposed copper conduite to conceal the wire is way cool too! Here is some inspiration! (If you dig this sort of thing I can dig up more for you!

Also I would check out you local metal salvage yard. You know like the guys who salvage resturant stuff. If you could find one who dismantled a diner, you'd be set!!!

Use of pipe.

grand_national_roadster_show_2010_327_.jpg

Copper.jpg

Check out the door panels here. It looks like he just scored the copper in a diamond pleat pattern. You could probably take it to another level of you scored a criss cross pattern into some wood and hammered into the grooves. (Or a rising sun emboss!)

CopperDoorPanels.jpg

This is in the latest issue of StreetRodder, some nice detail here and leather covered bomber seats.

DetailInterior.jpg

And I thought they did a pretty nice job with this mazda with the paint, but I would keep the wear to the heavy touched areas, like the top of the fenders.

0807mt_08_z1987_mazda_b2000front_left_side.jpg

Nice wheels, clean under the hood, creative interior and just rock it! When a couple things like the wheels or engine bay look good, the exterior being ratty looks purposeful.

Hainz's 510 beater is one of my ALL TIME favorites!

And check out this steampunk rod! (Actually look up steampunk in general!)

Steampunk Rod

Another illustrating the use of copper pipe. In this one see how the pipe runs right down the center of the car? Here is is done to get coolant to the back where the radiator is, but in theory it would be cool to run wire this way. Pipe right out in the open between two bomber seats... yum!

Untitled-1.jpg

Another illustrating the use of copper pipe. In this one see how the pipe runs right down the center of the car? Here is is done to get coolant to the back where the radiator is, but in theory it would be cool to run wire this way. Pipe right out in the open between two bomber seats... yum!

Untitled-1.jpg

Notice, this guy is from Colorado also. Lots of innovation going on here, I've seen a model A done similar with no radiator, or grill in the front, just a 4 banger hanging in the air. The radiator was hidden in the rear under the trunk lid, made me scratch my head for a few til I figured it out. :P

Amazing difference Bob, in what, only 5 days from the original post!! You are a man possessed, and I love it! Kick butt work!

Any idea if this thing runs? (Oh wait, I kinda remember an engine in the trunk...)

Amazing difference Bob, in what, only 5 days from the original post!! You are a man possessed, and I love it! Kick butt work!

Any idea of this thing runs? (Oh wait, I kinda remember an engine in the trunk...)

I told my son Tommy that we will drive it by the end of the month. :wacko: It's a good thing I'm taking the week of Thanksgiving off! ;)

What I wouldn't give to have you in MY garage for a week!!!!

EDIT- Wait, scratch that- What I wouldn't give to have my cars in YOUR garage for a week!

Better yet to have my truck in Bob's garage for a week! :D If Bob and I hit it for a week together in his shop, my 620 would be done, of course is a project ever really done? :P

I'm thinking about pulling the L20 & 5 speed out of my 620 and putting it in the 68 Rat. If I do that I'll just freshen up one of my L16's and put that in the 620 with a 4 speed. What do you think of that? I just use the 620 as a driver / Home Depot runner. :blink:

omg...

a 2dr, 4dr, goon, and a 620kc. thats my heaven...

Not to mention the 411 and the 510 racecar and lets not forget the amazing MX520! Bob you are an inspiration to many of us! Keep it up!

(And I am falling n love with this build. I just love a patina 510. So hurry up and get this 68 streetable and sell it to me cheap so I can fly out and pick it up and drive it back to MA! :lol: )

omg...

a 2dr, 4dr, goon, and a 620kc. thats my heaven...

Thanks guys! I have 8 Dattos as of now . . . oh, plus a '68 520 parts truck. :wacko:

68Rat11-17-10005.jpg

Vintage510RaceCarProject007.jpg

MX520016-1.jpg

620006.jpg

project320004.jpg

'68 Parts truck.

MX52010-27-09024-1.jpg

• Like 1